Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dan the man walking in with his Ring...

GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
I'll take that D in Eugene please...

Comments

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2022
    Georgia had at least six 5 stars on that starting defense. We just need something 80% of that. Oregon isn’t getting the defense we saw tonight.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon and Utah were the only PAC-12 teams to play 14 games.

Oregon gave up over 600 more total yards
    13 more TD’s
    40 more ypg.
    Utah was ranked 3rd in overall D
    Oregon 8th.
    Utah was 3rd in scoring D
    Oregon was 9th.

Lanning has his work cut out for him. Any improvement would be welcomed. Considering the “talent” we’ve been told that Oregon possesses.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    46XiJCAB said:

13 more TD’s
    40 more ypg.
    Oregon 8th.
    Oregon was 9th.

Lanning has his work cut out for him. Any improvement would be welcomed. Considering the “talent” we’ve been told that Oregon possesses.

Here is the problem with your stats: they suck and are misleading. Because they’re totals, and 7/14 of the games are against different opponents.

Oregon allowed UCLA 352 yards on 91 plays.
    Utah allowed UCLA 411 yards on 79 plays.
    Oregon allowed tOSU 613 on 85 plays.
    Utah allowed tOSU (without Olave) 683 on 67 plays.
    Oregon State and tOSU scored 42 and 48 against Utah. Against Oregon it was 29 and 28.

Yeah, that’s a lot of ground to makeup. Or maybe my statistics also suck and I’m proving a point.

If you play slow’em’down ball and use every second of the play clock then you don’t give up many yards, even if you’re getting gashed on the ground.

If teams are constantly losing against you then they will also throw the ball more, at a faster tempo, which yields more yards. If you can’t stop the run worth shit but good against the pass then you won’t give up as many yards. By your metrics Washington was better than Utah.

Points per game allowed? Or ppg scored by the other offense? Anthony Brown throwing a pick six and Old Man Covey housing a punt just added 1 PPG to Oregon’s defense, and they weren’t even on the field.

There’s no perfect stat, but YPP outside of garbage time is a pretty good one to measure a defense. Oregon at 5.4 and Utah at 5.3.

If Oregon had a better game plan with motivated coaches they beat Utah twice, if everyone isn’t injured it’s not even close. 81% sure on that. For next season I have no idea, but Lanning should have as much to work with as any coach in the conference and anything other than a conference title should be viewed as a failure.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Georgia showed that all you need is a good defensive scheme.

And a roster that has 19 5-stars, which is five more than Alabama. It helped offset only having 47 4-stars to their 60.

They had some breakout performances, like Nolan Smith coming up clutch with a TFL and sack, just his fourth one this season and it comes in this game. What an inspiring story, he’s had to live in the shadow of the guy he was ranked in front of, Kayvon Thibodeaux, but it’s nice to see him get some playing time as well.

We know Lanning can juggle talent. I can’t wait until he sees Mase Funa pursue a cripple or Justin Flowe try to not break a hip while reading. He’s going to be so confused.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

46XiJCAB said:

13 more TD’s
    40 more ypg.
    Oregon 8th.
    Oregon was 9th.

Here is the problem with your stats: they suck and are misleading. Because they’re totals, and 7/14 of the games are against different opponents.

Oregon allowed UCLA 352 yards on 91 plays.
    Utah allowed UCLA 411 yards on 79 plays.
    Oregon allowed tOSU 613 on 85 plays.
    Utah allowed tOSU (without Olave) 683 on 67 plays.
    Oregon State and tOSU scored 42 and 48 against Utah. Against Oregon it was 29 and 28.

Yeah, that’s a lot of ground to makeup. Or maybe my statistics also suck and I’m proving a point.

If you play slow’em’down ball and use every second of the play clock then you don’t give up many yards, even if you’re getting gashed on the ground.

If teams are constantly losing against you then they will also throw the ball more, at a faster tempo, which yields more yards. If you can’t stop the run worth shit but good against the pass then you won’t give up as many yards. By your metrics Washington was better than Utah.

Points per game allowed? Or ppg scored by the other offense? Anthony Brown throwing a pick six and Old Man Covey housing a punt just added 1 PPG to Oregon’s defense, and they weren’t even on the field.

There’s no perfect stat, but YPP outside of garbage time is a pretty good one to measure a defense. Oregon at 5.4 and Utah at 5.3.

If Oregon had a better game plan with motivated coaches they beat Utah twice, if everyone isn’t injured it’s not even close. 81% sure on that. For next season I have no idea, but Lanning should have as much to work with as any coach in the conference and anything other than a conference title should be viewed as a failure.
    They were the only two teams to play 14 games and each other twice. They won their divisions. They’re favored to win their divisions next year by ESPN. Utah the conference. Thus the comparison. Offensively they were much closer stat wise.

• GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes

Georgia showed that all you need is a good defensive scheme.

And a roster that has 19 5-stars, which is five more than Alabama. It helped offset only having 47 4-stars to their 60.

They had some breakout performances, like Nolan Smith coming up clutch with a TFL and sack, just his fourth one this season and it comes in this game. What an inspiring story, he’s had to live in the shadow of the guy he was ranked in front of, Kayvon Thibodeaux, but it’s nice to see him get some playing time as well.

We know Lanning can juggle talent. I can’t wait until he sees Mase Funa pursue a cripple or Justin Flowe try to not break a hip while reading. He’s going to be so confused.

And that's why XBOX Tosh is getting 1.7 million
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Goduckies said:

I'll take that D in Eugene please...

I’m sure that’s not the only D you take in Eugene.