Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Texas

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Some general recommendations:

The riverwalk is a tourist trap, but you can definitely get your drink on there. Esquire is the best bar there -- dark, craft cocktail place, be sure to check out the downstairs too. You can eat there. Food is fine.

Off of the river but still downtown... I would recommend Pinkertons for bbq. It's on par with the best places in the state (Franklins, etc.). Pricey but worth it. Fantastic brisket, which is the standard by which bbq is measured in Texas. If you want to expand your bbq horizons, 2M is fantastic as well. You will have to uber there, though, and they have funky hours.

The downstairs bar at the Havana hotel is another great, dark spot. It's a little more off the beaten path but walkable. The Teddy Roosevelt bar in the Menger hotel (right next to the Alamo) is another cool bar.

There are a lot of good places in Southtown (i.e., just south of downtown). Friendly Spot -- outdoor beer joint (also has food) and Bruno's across the street is more divey but good. Bar Loretta just around the corner is another good one and they have great burgers. Rosario's for Mexican food and margaritas.

Best burger in town is Chris Madrid's. You will have to uber there but it's not far. Recommend the tostada burger -- refried beans and tortilla chips. It sounds ridiculous but it's fantastic.

The Pearl just north of downtown is a big spot these days. Lots of bars and restaurants. The Hotel Emma is amazing. Great bar, very expensive drinks but worth checking out.

Any specific questions... let me know.

Is this worth a visit and any outdoor stuff to do outside of SA?

https://pacificwarmuseum.org/
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,608
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Yeah, riverwalk is like recommending pike place market to a tourist in Seattle.

You'll be looking at 5,000 other tourists and nobody who lives there goes there.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

Who uses their pinky for this?
    Armenians have small nostrils.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    haie said:

Which bar does Sark frequent?

Joey’s in Austin. Duh
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The riverwalk is a tourist trap, but you can definitely get your drink on there. Esquire is the best bar there -- dark, craft cocktail place, be sure to check out the downstairs too. You can eat there. Food is fine.

Off of the river but still downtown... I would recommend Pinkertons for bbq. It's on par with the best places in the state (Franklins, etc.). Pricey but worth it. Fantastic brisket, which is the standard by which bbq is measured in Texas. If you want to expand your bbq horizons, 2M is fantastic as well. You will have to uber there, though, and they have funky hours.

The downstairs bar at the Havana hotel is another great, dark spot. It's a little more off the beaten path but walkable. The Teddy Roosevelt bar in the Menger hotel (right next to the Alamo) is another cool bar.

There are a lot of good places in Southtown (i.e., just south of downtown). Friendly Spot -- outdoor beer joint (also has food) and Bruno's across the street is more divey but good. Bar Loretta just around the corner is another good one and they have great burgers. Rosario's for Mexican food and margaritas.

Best burger in town is Chris Madrid's. You will have to uber there but it's not far. Recommend the tostada burger -- refried beans and tortilla chips. It sounds ridiculous but it's fantastic.

The Pearl just north of downtown is a big spot these days. Lots of bars and restaurants. The Hotel Emma is amazing. Great bar, very expensive drinks but worth checking out.

Thanks @Mitch_Cumsteen!

Where are the best spots for night putting?
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Where will Sark begin his post-game bender?
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

Longhorn here.

Hope it will be a good game, but you never know who will end up sitting out the game if Bijan sits out, UT is likely in a world of hurt. He is just too much of our offense and too unique for the backup RBs to replace. They are not bad, but no where near his level. I have no idea if UW has anyone significant that will sit out or not. It appears that Penix is coming back, so he will be there. Ewers has been 'eh' this year, not a world-beater for sure, and for the bowl game his backup (Hudson Card) will presumably not be playing since he entered the TP, along with our leading receiver (Xavier Worthy). Card actually looks much better statistically then Ewers in almost all metrics and it isn't a small sample size (108 att for Card vs 249 for Ewers).

UT apparently is a 4.5 favorite, which seems a bit ridiculous without Bijan committing to play yet. Even if he is playing, UT has an 'average' pass defense, at best, which does not bode well for the Longhorns. The pass rush has been 'average' as well -not terrible, but not something to tout. If Bijan declares he is sitting out, the odds should swing heavily in UWs favor in a hurry.

Looks like I will be going with a friend of mine who is a UW alum ('97) and we will be sitting on the UW side :). If you haven't been to the Alamo Bowl in person, it really is a great place to have a bowl game. Both teams usually get on a couple of the river boats and motor around the riverwalk (and the bands usually do, as well, and play as they go) and it is decked out in lights etc for Christmas. Not a lot to do on the riverwalk but eat or drink, but that generally suffices.

• Options
    TrainwreckTrainwreck Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper 5 Up Votes First Comment

Why is Worthy leaving? Glad he won’t be there. He's good

Guess he got tired of being over thrown

I am guessing he got tired of a) being overthrown and then b) UT decided they did better when they did not throw at all....

He is a good receiver. Both Card and Xavier will start somewhere.
  • Options
    Mitch_CumsteenMitch_Cumsteen Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HFNY said:

Is this worth a visit and any outdoor stuff to do outside of SA?

https://pacificwarmuseum.org/
    I honestly haven't been to the pacific war museum but have heard very good things about it. Fredericksburg is a bit of a haul from San Antonio, but it's a really neat little town. There are wineries there, antique shops, and some pretty cool bars and restaurants on the main street. If you are up that way and looking for outdoorsy stuff... Enchanted Rock is only about 20 minutes away for rock climbing and hiking. Luckenbach is also only about 15 miles from Fredericksburg and they have live music (usually some guitar picker and quality will definitely be hit or miss) there most nights.

If you're looking for another small town Texas experience, Bandera is also a fun little place outside of San Antonio. Affectionately and derisively known as Bantucky, they have a cool main street with a bunch of cowboy bars and restaurants. You could also hit up Lost Maples for hiking, which isn't too far from there. A lot of the outdoor draws in this part of the state are water based -- swimming holes, kayaking, tubing, etc. -- so it's out of season this time of year. Although there is just as good of a chance it will be 80 degrees here during Christmas as it will be 30 degrees.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,266
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Wow, with Worthy and Card in the TP and Bijan a ?, I really like UW getting points in this one. The line was 3 and it's now UT -3.5. UW actually had a decent pass rush off the edges so if they can get to Ewers, UW covers easily. UW OL is a real strength and UT secondary is a weakness. UW scores at least 30 in this one. UW secondary is their real weakness but if the ends can put any pressure on Ewers, again, UW covers.
  • Options
    RoadTrip said:

Wow, with Worthy and Card in the TP and Bijan a ?, I really like UW getting points in this one. The line was 3 and it's now UT -3.5. UW actually had a decent pass rush off the edges so if they can get to Ewers, UW covers easily. UW OL is a real strength and UT secondary is a weakness. UW scores at least 30 in this one. UW secondary is their real weakness but if the ends can put any pressure on Ewers, again, UW covers.

Unfortunately, I am thinking this is UWs to lose, honestly. On the other hand, Vegas always seems to no more than Joe Q public and I wonder if they know something about Bijan's 'decision' (I know, a bit conspiracy theory). The pundits said he is making several million a year on NIL which makes it not quite a no-brainer to go pro. If he does plan to go pro, I can't see him playing in the game, though.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    Running backs are getting to be a dime a dozen in the NFL -- except for a select few. Not sure what Robinson's draft status is, but what else does he have to prove at college level? I know I'm biased because he will probably run for 250 yards against the Huskies, but he should bail on the bowl game assuming he's in line to be a first day draft pick.

Most NFL RBs are washed up well before they turn 30, so every hit takes a toll. Just saying.
  • Options
    Mitch_CumsteenMitch_Cumsteen Member Posts: 77
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    @Trainwreck WTF are you talking about re: Worthy? There are rumors about him, but he hasn't entered the portal yet to my knowledge. I tend to think it's mostly bullshit at this point. He did this last year and they "renegotiated" his contract. He's going to be hard pressed to get a better deal elsewhere. Card was always going to leave with Ewers there and Arch Manning on the way in. And almost certainly Bijan is going pro. If he does stay, it's not because of comparable NIL money because even as well as he's doing, he'd make a shitload more getting drafted where he's projected to go. With all due respect, you don't sound well informed.

And one other restaurant recommendation for BBQ is Bill Millers downtown. BBQ is meh although they have great breakfast tacos (really, that isn't a joke). But the best deal they have going on gameday is the ribs and rickshaw special where you buy a rack of ribs and it comes with a ride to the Alamodome on a rickshaw.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,266
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

Unfortunately, I am thinking this is UWs to lose, honestly. On the other hand, Vegas always seems to no more than Joe Q public and I wonder if they know something about Bijan's 'decision' (I know, a bit conspiracy theory). The pundits said he is making several million a year on NIL which makes it not quite a no-brainer to go pro. If he does plan to go pro, I can't see him playing in the game, though.
    If Bijan plays, I'd stake him 150 yards and 2 TD's. Texas will need a whole lot more than that to outright win the game. With your leading receiver in the portal, somebody has to step up bigtime. Rome Odunze might be going pro but UW has plenty of receivers to make up for that loss if it happens.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

@Trainwreck WTF are you talking about re: Worthy? There are rumors about him, but he hasn't entered the portal yet to my knowledge [...]

My bad. Just checked again, and it does look like he has not committed one way or the other. He definitely made a lot of noise by 'revising' his social media, maybe that was his point. I sure hope he stays.

As for the draft, almost all projections have him first round, although mid-first round, as RBs don't often go too high. He is generally considered the No. 1 RB in the draft if he goes pro; however, who knows? They point out that few RBs go 1st round and he is up against free agent RBs, but on the other hand this is considered a 'weak' draft year overall. From a strictly numbers game, he should sit out and go draft.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    @Mitch_Cumsteen

How you liking sark? Do you feel he is undefeated and he just ran out time couple of times?

When are horn booster going to demand his head and his first born?