Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

One Glorious Improvement I Haven't Seen Celebrated Yet...

2»

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I think the shifting is just more effective and purposeful.

It was said earlier in the year, Deboer is running the offense Pete thought he was running.

Also Penix is a better presnap Jesus than browning.

The negative to this presnap diagnosis is we get a shit ton of delay of games/unnecessary timeouts.

I think it's an area Grubb can improve, but if the tradeoff is the best 3rd conversion percentage, I'm ok if it takes a little longer to get it in.

Well, shit @Doogles

I didn't realize we were leading the cuntry in 3rd Down Conversion. Damn!
    http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category25/sort01.html
    I was an odd sensation this year with being able to assume we? would convert every 3rd down. Outside of PPG, I would assume that 3rd down conversion is the next most important metric for an offense. Maybe it's yards per play, I don't know. Paging @Logistics.
    It's extra insane and impressive given they didn't really use Penix as a mobile QB at all. I feel like most college games I'm watching third and longs are mostly only converted with a QB affecting the play with their feet. Or maybe that's just every team playing the Huskies?

Pete's 3rd and long offense = Let's do a play action even though they know we're not running on 3rd and 10, and then let's give only two really crowded route options the defense can cover both with one guy, almost guaranteeing a sack or throw away. Oh, and let's not really throw to our NFL tight ends.

Current 3rd and long offense = Spread it out. Simple drop back with several simple spread out routes.

I'd kill to see what they could have done with a Dissly or Otton this year.
    I'd kill to see Ross in this offense with that big Penix arm. Pettis could come too.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,512
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    LawDawg1 said:

Doogles said:

Browning was a natural athlete who tried to get by on sheer athleticism. Didn't study or watch film

Penix is a gym rat who lives in the film room. A real lunch pail guy. What he lacks in athleticism he makes up for with his brain

Big Penix is the type of guy you want to marry your daughter.
    @RaceBannon work your photoshop magic!

Everyone loved Sidney! Must have been his French sounding last name.
    I actually know someone who partied with him back in the day in Paris and said he was a fantastic gentleman. Yeah, I'm cool and know older ladies.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

Penix isn’t usually calling his own audibles I don’t think, that’s like 95%+ Grubb. I wish we had someone who could have yanked Browning’s chain though. There are many examples but I always think of Stanford ‘17 when Gaskin was unstoppable in the first half and Browning kept LOS changing to sideline OOB fades to Pettis. Killed crucial drives and momentum.

TLDR but gave it a chin for Eva green
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Penix isn’t usually calling his own audibles I don’t think, that’s like 95%+ Grubb. I wish we had someone who could have yanked Browning’s chain though. There are many examples but I always think of Stanford ‘17 when Gaskin was unstoppable in the first half and Browning kept LOS changing to sideline OOB fades to Pettis. Killed crucial drives and momentum.

The zero percentage, sideline fade was the most prominent weakness in Pete's offense. That's what let the Sark defense shut them down at Husky stadium after BSU came out and ran all over UW in their first couple of possessions.

It was the one red flag people raised about Petersen when he was hired that worried me and it turned out to be a real issue.