Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Charlie Hustle

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,243
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I was a fan of the Big Red Machine, but I've never been a Pete Rose fan. I am sitting here in amazement right now for what I'm about to type about a guy who broke the "sacred" gambling rule (posted in every clubhouse in MLB/MiLB in perpetuity), serial philanderer / statutory rapist, and more-than-likely a speed freak / coke head / roids user, and general all-around-self-serving asshole, while understanding that (minus the gambling on his own team) those attributes are very prevalent throughout the HOF membership, and baseball in general...I think it is time to bring Pete home...
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,243
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

I was a fan of the Big Red Machine, but I've never been a Pete Rose fan. I am sitting here in amazement right now for what I'm about to type about a guy who broke the "sacred" gambling rule (posted in every clubhouse in MLB/MiLB in perpetuity), serial philanderer / statutory rapist, and more-than-likely a speed freak / coke head / roids user, and general all-around-self-serving asshole, while understanding that (minus the gambling on his own team) those attributes are very prevalent throughout the HOF membership, and baseball in general...I think it is time to bring Pete home...

He called Bart Giamatti a liar when he was being disciplined. He talks about being held accountable. If they let him in the Hall, it's not being held accountable anymore. It's capitulation. He's only writing this public letter because he wants something.

I don't follow baseball closely anymore so I don't care that much what happens here. But if we're serious about rules and accountability, you don't go soft and let him in. He bet big on baseball while he was managing. That's a massive no-no.
    I agree with everything you said...he has suffered (financially and image), deservedly so. He is 81. They made their point, to the level that there have been 2 instances in 103 years. Very soon, many who have cheated (roids) will be admitted, and many already have been...Bring him in with Shoeless Joe. I am getting soft in my old age, especially remembering how many arguments (against this very thing) I've had about this over the years...

Times have changed, they players no longer are in impoverished servitude (prior to Eight Men Out, up to the dawn of free-agency), and much-less susceptible to cash offers that put their legal cash-grab in jeopardy. IIRC, there was always an option for him for reinstatement on the table, he was just too self-consumed to execute it...I'm not going to be pissed if they don't let him in, nor happy if they do...
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was pissed when he was banished and hated Giamatti for a while. I saw Rose speak about 10 years later and instantly recognized what a piece of shit he was. I can't remember the context but I thunk it was an interview. He wouldn't give a direct answer to any questions and embarrassed himself trying to talk around them. He showed honesty and therefore no contrition whatsoever.

I don't know if my mind could change on him and the HOF anymore. Fuck him is still what I'm feeling.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Must've gotten some kind of terminal diagnosis.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,992
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

He is like one of those stupid mother fucking motorcycle riders whose stupidity when driving gets them killed. I'd never wish death on anyone but the world is better when he is by gone.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,885
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I think if he did then he'd be using that as leverage
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,467
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Exactly right.

He has some condition that makes him an unlikeable, twitchy, sleazebag. Maybe he can get that condition named and use it for sympathy leverage.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1. Fire manfred
    2. Free Pete Rose dammit
    3. Abolish all recent rule changes including DH and interleague play. Put timer on the pitcher.
    4. ????
    5. Profit
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,756
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

1. Fire manfred
    2. Free Pete Rose dammit
    3. Abolish all recent rule changes including DH and interleague play. Put timer on the pitcher.
    4. ????
    5. Profit

4. Morganna