Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is your skrongest DIY home maintenance/improvement skill set?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

What is your skrongest DIY home maintenance/improvement skill set? 23 votes

Painting / Staining
13%
Doog_de_JourBleachedAnusDawgFishpo31 3 votes
Electrical
4%
Sources 1 vote
Plumbling
0%
Floor Vent Architect (shout out to Baze)
0%
Irrigation (sprinklers)
17%
chuckYellowSnowEl_KRDR 4 votes
General Carpentry
8%
DerekJohnsonStLouisDawg 2 votes
Flooring
0%
Tile
4%
Mad_Son 1 vote
Landscaping
17%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverSwayeEwaDawgdannarc 4 votes
Other
34%
RaceBannonwhlinderBennyBeaverPurpleBazealumni94PurpleThrobberLebamDawg1to392831weretaken 8 votes

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Other
    I’ve done all of them except Tile and Baze’s specialty.

This stuff is why REAL God made the trades.

I’d rather spend my tim shitposting.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Other
    I done flooring in two houses, landscaping in three, built add-ons to a barn, shop, and a general wood storage shed - that holds 8 cords of wood.

Good choice in Plumbling - I have friends that are electricians so they do that. Concrete work I have done small jobs and save the big ones for the folks that know what they are doing.

I did all the design work and submitted the plans for a major remodel and also a 20 x 15 deck complete with iron gate and lattice work. almost forgot in a previous marriage another remodel design for an addition and decking
    Edit: Fencing

Now you know why I bought a trailer and travel.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Other

I’ve done all of them except Tile and Baze’s specialty.

This stuff is why REAL God made the trades.

I’d rather spend my tim shitposting.

I spent more money last year on remodeling than you went into student loan debt for academis including the Beko (Bosch couldn't come through) dishwasher.

But money doesn't grow on trees, and sometimes a man's gotta do some things around the house to make ends meet. Also, sometimes it's hard to find trades people who are worth a shit and don't want to charge through the Moon.

When I moved to the High Desert I had to become an sprinkler whisperer out of necessity. The irrigation guysm are always backed up and I can't be relying upon them every time a head breaks or needs adjustment. The only thing I can't do is the fall system block out.

Electrical scares the shit out of me though and I suck at plumbing.
    I told you Miele.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Other
    Decks

It was a hobby as a home owner. Built three of them. Ended up adding value too
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

No one here can properly lay pipe?

SAD!

I lay some good pipe outdoors.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    edited November 2022
    Other

No one here can properly lay pipe?

SAD!

More of a skilled WOOD! worker.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Other
    I'm hearing that this place is a stain(ing) on humanity
  • alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    Painting / Staining
    Have done quite a bit of landscaping as well over the years, but oncoming knee and hip replacements has put that on ice…plumbing and electrical stuff has always been, and will continue to be no-man’s land for me.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Painting / Staining
    Have painted the entire interior of our house, including trim which sucked. Built one of the big Costco gazebos out back which included grading the area it went to put down a 20'x16' patio, pouring piers, etc. Have rebuilt a couple sections of fence. Currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel with counters and backsplash the remaining items to complete over the next couple weekends. Have done tile and bathroom remodels in the past. I will do minor electrical like replacing outlets, but not any actual wiring stuff. Plumbing is easy as long as I don't have to go inside a wall or under the floor. Overhauled all of the landscaping when we moved in 4 years ago. There's always something new going on with that as the seasons change.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

Decks

It was a hobby as a home owner. Built three of them. Ended up adding value too

I've never built a deck. But I did refinish both are front back ones last summer. I sanded them down entirely and then applied a nice stain. It's amazing how well 20 year old cedar holds up in dry climate. Fuck your Trex @CFetters_Nacho_Lover !!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

Using my cell phone to call a plumber, landscaper, carpenter, electrician who won't fuck things up.

The Throbber doesn't sound poor.

I'm only pour because Mrs. Snow has exceedingly expensive tastes in restaurants, travel, etc.

But I think no matter how much wealth a man has, you still gotta do some manly DIY stuff now and then, so you don't go soft. The most cuckish of my male neighbors are also the ones who are also completely incompetents when it comes to anything DIY.

You don't wanna we be like @creepycoug getting soft, supple hands and having to rely upon some Messicans every time your grass needs a mow.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)
    alumni94 said:

Demo!

Just stay away from the axe related stuff.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Painting / Staining

Using my cell phone to call a plumber, landscaper, carpenter, electrician who won't fuck things up.

I'm only pour because Mrs. Snow has exceedingly expensive tastes in restaurants, travel, etc.

But I think no matter how much wealth a man has, you still gotta do some manly DIY stuff now and then, so you don't go soft. The most cuckish of my male neighbors are also the ones who are also completely incompetents when it comes to anything DIY.

You don't wanna we be like @creepycoug getting soft, supple hands and having to rely upon some Messicans every time your grass needs a mow.
    This. Teach your kids some life skills, too.

Dealership offers free oil changes for my purchase and I say fuck that and do it myself.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

This. Teach your kids some life skills, too.

Dealership offers free oil changes for my purchase and I say fuck that and do it myself.
    I've done my own breaks once (under heavy, expert supervision) and my own oil once. It was cool to learn the process and it's not rocket science, but ultimately it's not my cup of tea. Plus we put so few miles on our cars these days both working from home (EMFA Elon) that there just aren't that many opportunities to save money on DIY oil changes.

Alas, the extent of my car maintenance DIY consists of cabin/engine air filters, wiper blades, and light bulbs. I suck. Lulz.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)
    I'm generally low skill, low cost labor on home diy projects. I did change the shocks on my washer a couple of weeks ago. Purrs like a kitten again.

But I just spent five years running a little farm with 15 irrigated acres. I dug up and repaired a lot of 3" pipe and a lot of valves. We were in a coop with one large and several small cherry orchards and there was plenty of pressure to fix your own problems and fuckups quickly.