Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nate Robinson announces he’s dealing with kidney failure

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,109
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter
Nate Robinson, the multisport standout who starred on the football field and basketball court at Rainier Beach High and the University of Washington before an 11-year NBA career, said he’s battling kidney failure.

“I am currently undergoing treatment for renal kidney failure and have been privately dealing with it for the last four years,” Robinson said in a statement Saturday. “I’m sharing this now because I want to be the voice for all those who are having trouble speaking about this illness and come together for a greater cause — our health.”

The 38-year-old Robinson, one of the best all-around athletes in Washington state history, rose to acclaim a little more than two decades ago as an undersized prep superstar.

Robinson’s freakish athleticism — he broke the boys state record in the 110-meter hurdles and was measured at 43.5 inches in the vertical leap — allowed the 5-foot-9 dynamo to excel in football and basketball.

Following in the footsteps of his famous father, Jacque, who played running back at UW, Robinson signed with the Huskies in 2002. He played 13 games and started the final six at cornerback, including a highlight interception in the 2002 Apple Cup.
Robinson left football after one year, which was considered a controversial decision at the time.

“Nobody really doubted me playing football, making it to the NFL,” Robinson said in a 2014 interview with The Seattle Times. “I was like, ‘I know I can do that.’ In my mind, I wanted to know, for sure, for myself, that I could play in the NBA. And so I decided to stop playing football. When Washington fired coach [Rick] Neuheisel [in June 2003], it made my decision easier. I said: ‘You know what? I’m going to go play basketball and see where this carries me and how far this takes me. If it doesn’t work, I can always go back to playing football.’”

Robinson played three years for the UW men’s basketball team while helping the Huskies to two straight NCAA tournament appearances, including the Sweet 16 during his junior year.

In 2005, Robinson entered the NBA draft and was taken No. 21 overall in the first round by the Phoenix Suns. Following a draft night trade to the New York Knicks, he spent 4½ seasons in Gotham City, where he rose to stardom as a high-scoring backup guard.

Robinson played for eight teams during an 11-year NBA career highlighted by winning three NBA Slam Dunk contests, first in 2006 then back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010.

Robinson’s popularity exploded due to his high-flying aerial exploits and gregarious personality.

He’s promoted his autobiography, “Heart over Height,” worked out with the Seattle Seahawks in 2016 while contemplating a return to football, starred in the film “Uncle Drew” in 2018 and made an ill-fated venture into boxing that ended with a second-round knockout in his professional debut in 2020.

Robinson hopes his medical announcement can assist others.

“I was never a vocal leader on the court, I preferred to lead by example, but now it’s time for me to speak up and help all those affected by or dealing with kidney disease,” he said. “I am grateful for the care and support I’ve received and continue to receive during this process and hope through this announcement that I can help others like me.”

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    completely unrelated: Acute kidney injury associated with androgenic steroids and nutritional supplements in bodybuilders

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4515889/
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You hate to hear that. Just an incredible athlete.
  • Options
    Founders Club

On my second go zround with renal failure. First happened mid 30's due to a genetically acquired disease called Alports Syndrome. Was on Dialysis for 3 years then transplanted. That was a cadaver kidney and it held up till about 3 years ago. Been back on Dialysis since then awaiting my time for another transplant. Some csb for ya.

Sorry to hear that
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I saw him once at a pizza joint off East Lake Sammamish Way a few years back while grabbing a drink with my brother-in-law.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,532
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I saw him once at a pizza joint off East Lake Sammamish Way a few years back while grabbing a drink with my brother-in-law.

I just about ran into him in Red Square during my college years. I'm 5'10" and he was short to me, and a freaking bowling ball of muscle. All-time freak athlete guy. Pretty funny, too.
  • Options
    DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 760
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    I once got a small fracture in my foot while playing against him at the IMA. It was while the current structure was being built so there were tons of construction workers around. A bunch of them came in to marvel at his Harlem Globetrotter squad. Naturally, as a try hard member of the Washington Generals, I tried to dive for a ball I had no chance at saving.
    He probably dunked a dozen times that game and added a few half court threes. He was on another planet athletically. Definitely shorter than listed too. I’m 6’1” on a good day but a head taller than him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just about ran into him in Red Square during my college years. I'm 5'10" and he was short to me, and a freaking bowling ball of muscle. All-time freak athlete guy. Pretty funny, too.
    I’m guessing you couldn’t dunk at 5’10” ?

Nate had the hops.
  • Options
    DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 760
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Sad to hear about his kidney failure but I imagine he’s pretty high on the donor list. He seems like he has lived a healthy life, assuming this is a hereditary condition. He’s also a relatively young parent of some fame and considerable resources.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,271
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Back in the day I worked at Home Depot in Kirkland while going to school. I worked nights and sometimes my shift would overlap with customers being present. This little dude comes up with a girl and asked where the restroom was, I pointed to back wall and said, " over there" he said thanks and walked off, and it then hit me that it was Nate Robinson. I should have asked him to sign my stupid ass orange apron...
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,532
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Nate had the hops.
    I actually could one hand throw down a mini ball. Highlight of my athletic career.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,883

Nate had the hops.
    I actually could one hand throw down a mini ball. Highlight of my athletic career.
    Tiny hands, tiny.....

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited October 2022

Nate had the hops.
    Tiny hands, tiny.....

This seems to be in @huskyhooligan's wheel house. Hooli!!! True??

(His fascination with dongs and all)
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I made the above joke not thinking about the seriousness of the thread. No disrespect intended.
  • Options
    TomRinaldisPianoTomRinaldisPiano Member Posts: 90
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper

By Percy Allen
    Seattle Times staff reporter
    Nate Robinson, the multisport standout who starred on the football field and basketball court at Rainier Beach High and the University of Washington before an 11-year NBA career, said he’s battling kidney failure.

“I am currently undergoing treatment for renal kidney failure and have been privately dealing with it for the last four years,” Robinson said in a statement Saturday. “I’m sharing this now because I want to be the voice for all those who are having trouble speaking about this illness and come together for a greater cause — our health.”

The 38-year-old Robinson, one of the best all-around athletes in Washington state history, rose to acclaim a little more than two decades ago as an undersized prep superstar.

Robinson’s freakish athleticism — he broke the boys state record in the 110-meter hurdles and was measured at 43.5 inches in the vertical leap — allowed the 5-foot-9 dynamo to excel in football and basketball.

Following in the footsteps of his famous father, Jacque, who played running back at UW, Robinson signed with the Huskies in 2002. He played 13 games and started the final six at cornerback, including a highlight interception in the 2002 Apple Cup.
    Robinson left football after one year, which was considered a controversial decision at the time.

“Nobody really doubted me playing football, making it to the NFL,” Robinson said in a 2014 interview with The Seattle Times. “I was like, ‘I know I can do that.’ In my mind, I wanted to know, for sure, for myself, that I could play in the NBA. And so I decided to stop playing football. When Washington fired coach [Rick] Neuheisel [in June 2003], it made my decision easier. I said: ‘You know what? I’m going to go play basketball and see where this carries me and how far this takes me. If it doesn’t work, I can always go back to playing football.’”

Robinson played three years for the UW men’s basketball team while helping the Huskies to two straight NCAA tournament appearances, including the Sweet 16 during his junior year.

In 2005, Robinson entered the NBA draft and was taken No. 21 overall in the first round by the Phoenix Suns. Following a draft night trade to the New York Knicks, he spent 4½ seasons in Gotham City, where he rose to stardom as a high-scoring backup guard.

Robinson played for eight teams during an 11-year NBA career highlighted by winning three NBA Slam Dunk contests, first in 2006 then back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010.

Robinson’s popularity exploded due to his high-flying aerial exploits and gregarious personality.

He’s promoted his autobiography, “Heart over Height,” worked out with the Seattle Seahawks in 2016 while contemplating a return to football, starred in the film “Uncle Drew” in 2018 and made an ill-fated venture into boxing that ended with a second-round knockout in his professional debut in 2020.

Robinson hopes his medical announcement can assist others.

“I was never a vocal leader on the court, I preferred to lead by example, but now it’s time for me to speak up and help all those affected by or dealing with kidney disease,” he said. “I am grateful for the care and support I’ve received and continue to receive during this process and hope through this announcement that I can help others like me.”

Thanks for the tip! I'll start work on my posthumous exclusive!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nate had the hops.
    I'm a tall white man who couldn't jump. I could dunk with two hands depending on the court but it wasn't easy. Never dunked in a game, except in HS physical ed with a mini ball over another kid.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,119
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Waiting for @Tequilla to bless us with his IMA exploits against Nate.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,883

Waiting for @Tequilla to bless us with his IMA exploits against Nate.

@Tequilla dropped into a zone and Nate busted his ass.