Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Magical season?

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Should concern Ms fans the lack of sour grapes from the players and coaching staff. No gut punch. No heartache. No mention of sleeping in the office, new training regimen, new attitude.

"Fun. Going to be fun next year!" Heard that in 95. Clemson like trajectory? Here you are.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

Should concern Ms fans the lack of sour grapes from the players and coaching staff. No gut punch. No heartache. No mention of sleeping in the office, new training regimen, new attitude.

"Fun. Going to be fun next year!" Heard that in 95. Clemson like trajectory? Here you are.

No time for that shit. Hot stove league is just around the corner. Time to refocus.

But yeah, the endless positivity is irritating, even as I catch myself indulging in it. I dont think it means fuckall in terms of what happens on the field, but it's still irritating.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #MyPadres looking strong.

Swaye's Wigwam

They are tough. They can pitch and hit home runs.

It's crazy to see the Dodgers and Braves both out of the NLCS.

I think anyone other than NY/Cleveland can win it. That probably means it will be the yanks.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baseman said:

Clemson won it all, and maybe they conflated "Fun" with "Easy"...It's why it is so hard to repeat. The M's played the Astros pretty even, and couldn't come through when it counted. IMO, the Astros are the best club in the game, and the M's went toe-to-toe with them.

There are plenty of sour grapes, but "Not in the middle of the store"...Don't think it doesn't impact potential free-agents, it does. Culture is important, now more than ever. Winning creates it. They need a couple more pieces, obviously, but the young core now has experienced it, and that is a big step.

Baseball players know when they suck, more than anyone else, every day. It's part of the game. Playoffs are about who's hot and who's not, players and teams. They were close, didn't finish, and they know that. (Sark "We just ran out of tim" POTD)...

Now, on to the "All we need to do is to sign Judge, Ohtani, Trea Turner, Joe Morgan, and Ted Williams' cryogenically frozen head" off-season...

ATBS, I can't recall a game where, for 18 innings, that I have seen that much dominant pitching, execution-wise, on both sides. I was entertained, and I fucking loved it...

My 2 cents...

"Baseball has got to be fun. If it's not fun, it's a long time to be in agony"... -Tom Trebelhorn
    Looks like Divish just spilled the beans on Winker...no work ethic, on his own program. I liked the acquisition at the time, and assumed he was hurt most of the year...that's what I get for assuming...He gone
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Looks like Divish just spilled the beans on Winker...no work ethic, on his own program. I liked the acquisition at the time, and assumed he was hurt most of the year...that's what I get for assuming...He gone

It's what I figured. He's extremely talented but not serious enough. I saw it early on but hoped he'd get his head on straight. Too bad. I watched his highlights about 10 times and he is fun to watch hit when he's on.
    edited October 2022
    They have a Haggerty-Kelenic platoon (the playoff plan before Hag got hurt), and ship Winker somewhere for a bag of BP balls...He has ability, but I can remember early on thinking that he looked different than a typical big leaguer, as in under-developed physically. Red flag, I should have trusted my gut.

Edit: I just realized something: I literally had no idea who Eugenio Suarez was before this year...We are Salary-Dump Champions!

I think the Friars (ILTCTTF, IWILTD) may be the only club that could give the Astros a run for the money…
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I think the Friars (ILTCTTF, IWILTD) may be the only club that could give the Astros a run for the money…
    I went to Game 1 of the World Series in 1984 and went to middle school with Tony Gwynn's kid so I get to say we? are gonna win!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

They have a Haggerty-Kelenic platoon (the playoff plan before Hag got hurt), and ship Winker somewhere for a bag of BP balls...He has ability, but I can remember early on thinking that he looked different than a typical big leaguer, as in under-developed physically. Red flag, I should have trusted my gut.

Edit: I just realized something: I literally had no idea who Eugenio Suarez was before this year...We are Salary-Dump Champions!

He's basically a slow pitch softball type of personality from what I've seen. Chug some beers, talk some shit, don't over exert until it's absolutely necessary.
    Fishpo31 said:

My thoughts too but I'm not sure about Philly. I haven't watched them at all and don't know shit about their pitching staff.

The Padres have the arms and some menacing hitters. They can give Houston a run for it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I didn't see the article summarizing the Divish comments until last night. The Ms really have a good group of local writers and commenter imo. Makes me jealous as a Husky fan. They're moogs, I suppose, but they know their shit and aren't afraid to call out players and management where appropriate.

I'm disappointed because Winker 2021 was exactly the kind of hitter I wanted...a high BA, high OBP guy with some power. Ty France on better juice, basically.

I can only handle so many guys averaging 2/10 with a homer, a walk or two, and 7 KS. Someone has to get on base and someone needs to consistently hit the ball hard when others are on base.

Anyways, winker seems to be on his way out so I really hope they can find a bat like his wa supposed to be.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I called the sweep after game 1. You don't chase out the likely 2022 Cy Young winner only to lose, and expect to bounce back from that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022

I called the sweep after game 1. You don't chase out the likely 2022 Cy Young winner only to lose, and expect to bounce back from that.

Same. That was the opening and I really believed the Ms would go on to sweep or win in 4 at worst if they hadn't blown that one.

As it happened, even carrying a lead into the 6th in game 2, with a dominant starter still on the mound and going strong, there was a sense of inevitability. The same feeling was present through the entirety of game 3.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe the situation with Winker isn't what we thought? Knee and neck surgery.
    ESPN: Julio Rodriguez broke finger, among M's facing offseason recovery.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34834762/julio-rodriguez-broke-finger-m-facing-offseason-recovery
    I caught some of R.R Aussie-Hyphen on the radio. What he said made sense, if it actually happened that way. Said Winker is the class-clown, and when it's going well, everyone laughs. When it isn't, they get pissed. Also talked about the dark side of being injured, not being able to perform at a high level, contribute, and dealing with individual stuff in a team setting.

My guess is that he was banged up early (eye test), slow start, injures lingered/got worse, surgery ends the season for him, the club was playing well without his contribution and presence, and he got a little pissy...it happens.

Disclosure: I was around Winker a little bit when he was 17, at USA Baseball trials, and he's a different cat, to be sure...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I caught some of R.R Aussie-Hyphen on the radio. What he said made sense, if it actually happened that way. Said Winker is the class-clown, and when it's going well, everyone laughs. When it isn't, they get pissed. Also talked about the dark side of being injured, not being able to perform at a high level, contribute, and dealing with individual stuff in a team setting.

My guess is that he was banged up early (eye test), slow start, injures lingered/got worse, surgery ends the season for him, the club was playing well without his contribution and presence, and he got a little pissy...it happens.

Disclosure: I was around Winker a little bit when he was 17, at USA Baseball trials, and he's a different cat, to be sure...

Touches on the same stuff Divish hinted at and what I assumed. He doesn't fit in. Playing poorly or sitting out while constantly calling attention to yourself never helps in that regard.
    Yes. When you play well, nobody cares if you are "a little quirky", or even a dick. When you don't play well, it becomes magnified.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Yes. When you play well, nobody cares if you are "a little quirky", or even a dick. When you don't play well, it becomes magnified.

• Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Will BA's naturally just go up because of the new shift rules going in? Seems like they would, and a real opportunity for the nerds to find out which guys were most impacted negatively by the shift and go try to snatch up those cheap contracts.

The counter to that I guess is will batters be negatively impacted by seeing the shortstop sprinting towards right field once the pitch is in the air? Seems like that is possible.