Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Just How Bad was 1969 Topps Baseball, Series 1?

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Man I would still play with baseball cards all the time if you could still buy them a couple packs for a dollar. I had a huge collection at one time. My folks would buy us each a box every year for our stocking from 1979 til about 1985, and we'd spend every spare penny on cards on our own.

I still have a notebook with all of my George Brett cards and all of my good rookie cards that didnt get wrecked during trading and endless sorting and comparing. They were worth a fair amount at one time, in fact I think the highest value I ever saw was about $1500 for my Cal Ripken rookie. I do have multiple rookies (different brands) of a lot of great players who started in the 80s.

We had a fair amount of 68-69 cards that my dad had held onto. My brother snagged those but I was never bothered. He has some good guys but no nothing real valuable from those years.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I had a shitload of those cards…right in my wheelhouse, I was 8.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,769
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    i had almost all those.

Stupid young throbber thought it would be a good idea to mark his initials on thousands of baseball cards owned.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

i had almost all those.

Stupid young throbber thought it would be a good idea to mark his initials on thousands of baseball cards owned.

I remember putting together all star teams to compete with my brother. We'd rubber band them together and fold over a corner so you could see where the offense ended and pitchers started.

In 1979 or 1980 they made basketball cards with three smaller cards held together by perforations. Iirc Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were in the same card. We tore all of those apart, of course, rendering them worthless.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

i had almost all those.

I had dozens of Mays, Aaron, Bench, Jackson and other cards of future HOF’ers that I wrote “cool” on, in ink…