Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Waddles with Nacho

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

Took the ol’ Airstream out this weekend and completely on its owner plus a small Honda generator. Good timing since the over night temps were in the mid 30s. Used the generator to supplement the batteries and that fucker ran 8+ hours before running out of gas this morning while brewing coffee.

Mrs Nacho is now 110% behind upgrading the truck so if nothing else this trip is great success.

Yeah, man, you can’t tow with a half ton Nissan.

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !
    1 ton and it will be useful when you upgrade the rolling house
    The GVRW on the Airstream is only 7600 pounds. Even if I upgrade to a 30 foot model, the weight is only 8800. I think a 1 ton is overkill for us.

We stopped at the Dodge dealer last night to look at the window stickers and learned something new. Carmakers are not required to put estimated gas mileage on heavy duty trucks.

Mrs Nacho did some googling (she’s no Pup, she has to use Google), and found something that the diesel HD trucks get a little worse fuel mileage than gas HD trucks. That goes against what I thought. If accurate though, a diesel costs $10k more up front plus more expensive per gallon right now and a $10k maintenance cost down the road while getting worse mileage. I’m like what the fuck.

Going back to the Dodge dealer, every 2500 in the Laramie trim package had a 5th wheel/gooseneck tow package installed which is completely useless for me and fucks up the bed by putting 5 beer can size holes in it.

Ford is still having supply chain issues and 3 of the nearby dealers don’t even have a single F250 on the lot.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Took the ol’ Airstream out this weekend and completely on its owner plus a small Honda generator. Good timing since the over night temps were in the mid 30s. Used the generator to supplement the batteries and that fucker ran 8+ hours before running out of gas this morning while brewing coffee.

Mrs Nacho is now 110% behind upgrading the truck so if nothing else this trip is great success.

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !
    The GVRW on the Airstream is only 7600 pounds. Even if I upgrade to a 30 foot model, the weight is only 8800. I think a 1 ton is overkill for us.

We stopped at the Dodge dealer last night to look at the window stickers and learned something new. Carmakers are not required to put estimated gas mileage on heavy duty trucks.

Mrs Nacho did some googling (she’s no Pup, she has to use Google), and found something that the diesel HD trucks get a little worse fuel mileage than gas HD trucks. That goes against what I thought. If accurate though, a diesel costs $10k more up front plus more expensive per gallon right now and a $10k maintenance cost down the road while getting worse mileage. I’m like what the fuck.

Going back to the Dodge dealer, every 2500 in the Laramie trim package had a 5th wheel/gooseneck tow package installed which is completely useless for me and fucks up the bed by putting 5 beer can size holes in it.

Ford is still having supply chain issues and 3 of the nearby dealers don’t even have a single F250 on the lot.
    Plus diesels suck as grocery getters for short trips around town. Better for long hauls.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !
    I have a thing against Chevy. It’s not like I’m a gear head who hates certain brands but it seems like every Chevy I ever drove or rode in as a passenger had a check engine light that was always on.

At the same time, I also recognize that American carmakers make exceptional pick up trucks and that my dislike and distrust of the quality American cars does not extend to the truck models.
    I thought the check engine light was the Ford logo!...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Don't the 3/4 and 1-ton pull exactly the same and the only difference is tongue/bed weight capability? It's what I've been told, at least. I have a buddy with a newish F250 diesel, and boy is it ever nice. If I weren't a poor, I'd have one just like it.

Not sure where Mrs. Nacho was doing her research, but everything I've seen shows exactly the opposite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6oQtvVVz3k

In the above video, the guy's just driving around unloaded. Add a trailer, and the difference will be more stark. You have to take into account that with twice the torque, the diesel and use a taller axle ratio and improve fuel economy, so you have to compare apples to apples. Or intentionally compare apples to oranges, I guess. Whatever.

My "being cool in my car" phase is long over, so vehicle purchases are simple spreadsheet exercises at this point. Lowest total cost of ownership wins. An often overlooked column in that spreadsheet is resale value. Basically, cost to purchase minus recouped value over the expected time of ownership plus fuel plus expected maintenance cost. The diesel will hold its value better, last longer, cost more to maintain (perhaps balanced out by less catastrophic maintenance if your timeline for ownership is several hundred-thousand miles), but usually have a warranty that's much better.

In the end, if the math is even remotely close for the diesel, you get the diesel, as having both more horsepower and twice the torque is worth paying more.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

Don't the 3/4 and 1-ton pull exactly the same and the only difference is tongue/bed weight capability? It's what I've been told, at least. I have a buddy with a newish F250 diesel, and boy is it ever nice. If I weren't a poor, I'd have one just like it.

Not sure where Mrs. Nacho was doing her research, but everything I've seen shows exactly the opposite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6oQtvVVz3k

In the above video, the guy's just driving around unloaded. Add a trailer, and the difference will be more stark. You have to take into account that with twice the torque, the diesel and use a taller axle ratio and improve fuel economy, so you have to compare apples to apples. Or intentionally compare apples to oranges, I guess. Whatever.

My "being cool in my car" phase is long over, so vehicle purchases are simple spreadsheet exercises at this point. Lowest total cost of ownership wins. An often overlooked column in that spreadsheet is resale value. Basically, cost to purchase minus recouped value over the expected time of ownership plus fuel plus expected maintenance cost. The diesel will hold its value better, last longer, cost more to maintain (perhaps balanced out by less catastrophic maintenance if your timeline for ownership is several hundred-thousand miles), but usually have a warranty that's much better.

In the end, if the math is even remotely close for the diesel, you get the diesel, as having both more horsepower and twice the torque is worth paying more.

My understanding is the opposite as well. I think she found an article on consumer reports or something similar.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Learned a valuable lesson yesterday. A little background first. RVs have 3 holding tanks for grey water, black water and fresh water. When you go to drain the black and grey tanks, it’s helpful to have a lot of water in them to help move things along.

So yesterday as we’re packing up, I still have about 55% of my fresh water and the other tanks are at about 20% full. So I decided to fill up a gallon jug in the kitchen sink to pour down the toilet. That’s gonna help drain the fresh water and fill the black tank but not help fill the grey tank so I go turn on the bathroom sink.

While waiting for the jug to fill up I’m checking the display monitors watching the fresh and grey tanks. Fresh water is starting to go down but grey isn’t going up. Weird. Jug is about full so I shut off kitchen sink and go check the bathroom sink.

Turns out Mrs Nacho thought it’d be a good idea to close the drain plug in the bathroom sink for traveling and I now have a shit ton of water on the counter that’s going god knows where behind the sink.

Afterwards, I ask Mrs Nacho if there was a reason she closed that plug, i.e., was that on one of the checklists we have have. Her answer, “no, I thought it was a good idea but in hindsight it makes more sense to leave it open.”

The lesson I learned was on type of sewer hose I had came with plug inserts. You want a real mess forget to take the plug out - its not really visible unless you look down the end. Also buy screw in caps that go on them for when you disconnect. Contains odors when sitting inside the trailer storage area. Open that area up without the caps and you will have the same reaction my wife has walking into the bathroom after I had Mexican food. or Italian. or American. or just plain ate a meal.
    Founders Club

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !
    I have a thing against Chevy. It’s not like I’m a gear head who hates certain brands but it seems like every Chevy I ever drove or rode in as a passenger had a check engine light that was always on.

At the same time, I also recognize that American carmakers make exceptional pick up trucks and that my dislike and distrust of the quality American cars does not extend to the truck models.
    If Toyota made a 3 / 4 or 1 ton I’d say buy that. But they don’t. It’s too bad cause the Tundra plant is in Indiana.
    Tell me about it. I had a Tacoma a while back and loved that truck.
    Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

Plus diesels suck as grocery getters for short trips around town. Better for long hauls.
    During the spring, summer and fall I have my CJ for most of my running round town driving and Mrs Nacho has her Volvo.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

YouKnowIt said:

If you live were I live in the Columbia Gorge, you are going to want anything bigger than a half-ton. The half ton has the capacity and power, to pull it, but the wind and sway on a half ton vs 2500 is way different...

A couple of months ago i pulled some friends' 29' Terri trailer down the gorge from the Dalles to Stevenson with my half ton Ram. It wasn't a good idea. They had some heavy shit in the back that I think made it worse, but I didn't feel at all in control of it going over 40. I was just glad I elected to come down 14 rather than trying the freeway. It was a long, slow slog with a lot of pulling over to let people pass.
    Well thanks for giving me a call and stopping by. Dick
    Know where to get the coldest beer along SR 14? Meet there next time.
    I know all the sweet spots

LebamDawg said:

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

LebamDawg said:

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

FYI. I have a gas Silverado 2500HD. It gets about 15-16 MPG not towing. Pulled a 23’ Airstream this summer and got about 7. I’d go with a diesel if I was regularly towing heavier loads at high elevations. Also get a diesel if your going to put on a lot of miles. I question the thought that diesels get worse mileage than gas. That hasn’t been my experience.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

YouKnowIt said:

If you live were I live in the Columbia Gorge, you are going to want anything bigger than a half-ton. The half ton has the capacity and power, to pull it, but the wind and sway on a half ton vs 2500 is way different...

A couple of months ago i pulled some friends' 29' Terri trailer down the gorge from the Dalles to Stevenson with my half ton Ram. It wasn't a good idea. They had some heavy shit in the back that I think made it worse, but I didn't feel at all in control of it going over 40. I was just glad I elected to come down 14 rather than trying the freeway. It was a long, slow slog with a lot of pulling over to let people pass.
    Well thanks for giving me a call and stopping by. Dick
    Know where to get the coldest beer along SR 14? Meet there next time.
    I know all the sweet spots

LebamDawg said:

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

LebamDawg said:

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

FYI. I have a gas Silverado 2500HD. It gets about 15-16 MPG not towing. Pulled a 23’ Airstream this summer and got about 7. I’d go with a diesel if I was regularly towing heavier loads at high elevations. Also get a diesel if your going to put on a lot of miles. I question the thought that diesels get worse mileage than gas. That hasn’t been my experience.
    Our 2022 Toyota Sequoia is a fucking ecological disaster on par with a 2500 Chevy. 5.7 litre I Force V-8 gets 13 city / 17 Hwy. Good thing we both work from home cause the Japs hate Mother Earth.
    Swaye's Wigwam

3 / 4 ton Chevy mang !

If Toyota made a 3 / 4 or 1 ton I’d say buy that. But they don’t. It’s too bad cause the Tundra plant is in Indiana.
    Tell me about it. I had a Tacoma a while back and loved that truck.
    How is @PurpleBaze supposed to tow heavy stuff ? With fucking camels ?
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:
    Completely forgot this song. I had Clarence Carter in my head when I went looking for a gif.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:
    The Black Dog, Stateline ID - circa 1982 with some cover band throwing out the tunes.

Good tims.

Swaye's Wigwam
    So where's the new truck!?
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pics? ok to include the wife
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe you haven't gotten the memo, but this is THE forum for displaying your conspicuous consumption.