Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • DoogieMcDoogersonDoogieMcDoogerson Member Posts: 2,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think the slow mesh is a clever offensive scheme. You've got to have a good offensive line though to execute it and some really smart players who are on the same page. I can see how turnover risk is higher with this approach. Will be interesting to see. Seems like you need to get into the QB and RBs head early on and have some success by taking some chances on getting into the backfield.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I think the slow mesh is a clever offensive scheme. You've got to have a good offensive line though to execute it and some really smart players who are on the same page. I can see how turnover risk is higher with this approach. Will be interesting to see. Seems like you need to get into the QB and RBs head early on and have some success by taking some chances on getting into the backfield.

It's worked for the inventor at Wake Forest. Depends how well a copycat OC understands the concepts and coaches the execution.

I'm guessing we'll force them to run given their QB and RB situations
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,047
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "But, I imagine David Shaw is looking at Washington’s banged up secondary and is licking his lips imagining Tanner McKee and his forest of trees bullying the UW secondary all game."

Nailed it. Kind of scary I assume the slow mesh is most difficult for LBs and Safeties and I'm not 100% confident in those spots
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,161
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Canadawg said:

"But, I imagine David Shaw is looking at Washington’s banged up secondary and is licking his lips imagining Tanner McKee and his forest of trees bullying the UW secondary all game."

Nailed it. Kind of scary I assume the slow mesh is most difficult for LBs and Safeties and I'm not 100% confident in those spots

I'm going to be Chicken Little until it's 10:30 and Washington is ahead 41-20. Stanford has a semi-mobile QB with a veteran offensive line and a bunch of big receivers and a good tight end. At least offensively I'm still worried about the matchup from Stanford.
    This

I’ve seen OL not even on the roster push our guys around

RB’s with bailing wire holding their ankle together going for like 200 yards
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,261
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With UW’s pass defense, good luck with trying to force the run.

I feel like it bears a reminder: this is Stanford vs. Washington.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,706
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,706
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

I'm going to be Chicken Little until it's 10:30 and Washington is ahead 41-20. Stanford has a semi-mobile QB with a veteran offensive line and a bunch of big receivers and a good tight end. At least offensively I'm still worried about the matchup from Stanford.
    Random memory popped into my head... In 1986 the Huskies opened with crushing victories over Ohio State and BYU, and went into the USC game as favorites on the road. They lost 20-10 and Junior Seau sacked Chris Chandler about 14 times. We were like "where were the Huskies from the first two games?"

I'm not going to be Chicken Little but I will be on edge.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

Random memory popped into my head... In 1986 the Huskies opened with crushing victories over Ohio State and BYU, and went into the USC game as favorites on the road. They lost 20-10 and Junior Seau sacked Chris Chandler about 14 times. We were like "where were the Huskies from the first two games?"

I don't think Seau was at USC in 1986. He was in same age demographic as you and me.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,687
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

I don't think Seau was at USC in 1986. He was in same age demographic as you and me.
    And you all have CTE

Too soon?
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

And you all have CTE

Too soon?
    That's some dark shit, dude.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,261
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn't UW beat Cal & Justin Wilcox last year? I mean, I know they lucked out, but it was a win.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,388
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

Didn't UW beat Cal & Justin Wilcox last year? I mean, I know they lucked out, but it was a win.

Yes, but it was such straight up luck and it seemed Cal was so strangely cranked up to win that game that I'm not taking off that monkey unless they win convincingly this year.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

With Husky football I'm always a believer in monkeys on back until they're officially shown to be removed from the back. If the Huskies beat Stanford/Shaw comfortably Saturday night it's off and I'll feel normal about them. Until then, Stanford/Shaw has played UW more well and harder than they should have post-2016. I think the key will be UW's offense against the Stanford D - there's no reason UW shouldn't be able to outscore them comfortably, if needed.

Current Monkeys on the UW back

Always losing to Oregon and Oregon playing exceptional against them.
    Cal & Justin Wilcox - they can end that this year
    Playing at UCLA
    Playing at ASU
    Semi-mobile not super accurate QBs being poison
    I'm gonna need to see a couple more wins to feel that way personally.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

With Husky football I'm always a believer in monkeys on back until they're officially shown to be removed from the back. If the Huskies beat Stanford/Shaw comfortably Saturday night it's off and I'll feel normal about them. Until then, Stanford/Shaw has played UW more well and harder than they should have post-2016. I think the key will be UW's offense against the Stanford D - there's no reason UW shouldn't be able to outscore them comfortably, if needed.

Playing at UCLA
    Playing at ASU
    Depressing that Lake earned our first road win at Stanford since Willingham.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

Playing at UCLA
    Playing at ASU
    Depressing that Lake earned our first road win at Stanford since Willingham.
    I think its more depressing that the series is tied
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The 2017 Stanford game was horrific.