Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A Q for the bored re: DeBoner?

Comments

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I don't recall a Husky scheme that worked in years

Usually a bunch of motion and shifts leads to false starts

Disciplined and it gets guys open

Doog it up

It's amazing how many shifts and motions they did against MSU and all without a false start, illegal formation, or illegal shift.

Perhaps the most impressive was how the players communicated with each other. I remember after 1 shift, McMillan told Davis to back off the LOS so that he'd be eligible. Never really seen a WR look out at a formation after a shift before
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Sounds like everyone is buying in!
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

gmo said:

gmo said:

some of the comments in here are delusional. The success of this team is completely tied to one player more than any UW team the past 20 years+ (since Tuiasosopo). There's dooging and then there's smoking crackrock.

You new to college football? Even Bama has known for ten years now that you need a Heisman candidate QB to contend for anything worth a shit. We (maybe) finally get one after years of flame-outs and now the response is to shit yourself and yell about it being uNsUsTaInAbLe?

Okay
    No. Are you?

There is a pretty big difference from contending for a national title and the team completely falling apart and losing to just about everyone.

Care to refute my statement how this team is more reliant on one player than any UW team since 2001? It is not an indictment on anyone, just a reality (IMO). Not exactly sure why that statement makes you hostile, but Okay.
    Michael Penix completed 53.7 percent of his passes last year for 5.8 yards a pass with 4 TD and 7 INTs.

I love the guy and I'm thrilled he's here but you aren't giving the scheme, position coaching or talent around him nearly enough credit.
    This all does matter, for sure. I just happen to think it isn't nearly enough if UW's #2 QB has to come in. I am as excited by the coaching as I am Penix. I think both are better than we have had in a lot of years. I also happen to think there are serious holes on this team that would be near impossible to overcome with a backup QB.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    gmo said:

dnc said:

gmo said:

gmo said:

some of the comments in here are delusional. The success of this team is completely tied to one player more than any UW team the past 20 years+ (since Tuiasosopo). There's dooging and then there's smoking crackrock.

You new to college football? Even Bama has known for ten years now that you need a Heisman candidate QB to contend for anything worth a shit. We (maybe) finally get one after years of flame-outs and now the response is to shit yourself and yell about it being uNsUsTaInAbLe?

Okay
    No. Are you?

There is a pretty big difference from contending for a national title and the team completely falling apart and losing to just about everyone.

Care to refute my statement how this team is more reliant on one player than any UW team since 2001? It is not an indictment on anyone, just a reality (IMO). Not exactly sure why that statement makes you hostile, but Okay.
    Michael Penix completed 53.7 percent of his passes last year for 5.8 yards a pass with 4 TD and 7 INTs.

I love the guy and I'm thrilled he's here but you aren't giving the scheme, position coaching or talent around him nearly enough credit.
    This all does matter, for sure. I just happen to think it isn't nearly enough if UW's #2 QB has to come in. I am as excited by the coaching as I am Penix. I think both are better than we have had in a lot of years. I also happen to think there are serious holes on this team that would be near impossible to overcome with a backup QB.
    That's fair. My enthusiasm for the year would certainly wain some if Penix gets hurt. I think they win 8 with any of the QBs but probably only double digits with Penix.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

gmo said:

dnc said:

gmo said:

gmo said:

Okay
    No. Are you?

It's hard to pick UW in a couple of games with a backup QB. It doesn't mean the backup couldn't surprise us.

If Penix went limp prior to next game and didn't play again, I'd still expect UW to take care of business to the tune of 8 wins or so. The easy wins on the schedule should still be easy.
    This. Morris in this offense should be good enough for 8 or 9 wins with our horrible schedule

Huard is a lost cause
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

gmo said:

dnc said:

gmo said:

gmo said:

Okay
    No. Are you?

It's hard to pick UW in a couple of games with a backup QB. It doesn't mean the backup couldn't surprise us.

If Penix went limp prior to next game and didn't play again, I'd still expect UW to take care of business to the tune of 8 wins or so. The easy wins on the schedule should still be easy.
    This. Morris in this offense should be good enough for 8 or 9 wins with our horrible schedule

Huard is a lost cause
    That I don't agree with. I don't expect him to look anything like Penix, but his game is way better suited to the offense, with nice touch and timing, than Morris's in which touch and timing aren't even part of the vocabulary.

We've seen both of their floors, and they aren't pretty. I feel like Morris has zero left to show, while it's still possible that Huard could surprise...remotely possible.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Sam is more gifted than DMo, but both guys are not tough guys. Sam has still not hit puberty.

Penix is so good because he's genuinely not scared of anything on the football field. (Also really talented obv.)

That's why he will look off guys, etc. He's not freaking out waiting for his primary target to be open and staring him down.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sam is more gifted than DMo, but both guys are not tough guys. Sam has still not hit puberty.

Penix is so good because he's genuinely not scared of anything on the football field. (Also really talented obv.)

That's why he will look off guys, etc. He's not freaking out waiting for his primary target to be open and staring him down.

Penix obviously has that intangible that UW hasn't seen since Price (at times) and Tui, where they see the field well and have a feel for where and when the pressure is coming.

It doesn't hurt that he's hardly been pressured at UW and only hit once or twice on drop backs through three games. Huard and Morris have never had that benefit in a UW uniform.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club

I don't recall a Husky scheme that worked in years

Usually a bunch of motion and shifts leads to false starts

Disciplined and it gets guys open

Doog it up

This is exactly what I said on the podcast. Under Pete they'd start motioning guys around and you almost wanted to look away because you knew there would be an illegal shift or a muffed snap coming.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

Penix obviously has that intangible that UW hasn't seen since Price (at times) and Tui, where they see the field well and have a feel for where and when the pressure is coming.

It doesn't hurt that he's hardly been pressured at UW and only hit once or twice on drop backs through three games. Huard and Morris have never had that benefit in a UW uniform.
    This is a good point. UW has been great in pass pro thus far.

However, Penix has already suffered devastating injuries in his career and he really doesn't seem to care. I think he's just a different guy.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We don't miss the bubble pump?