Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Travels With Mabel

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Out sourced to Africa

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Out sourced to Africa

So the Montana mines in question were mostly in the copper bidness. Chile is the leading producer these days but Peru, China Congo and US are all pretty close in spots 2- 5. @89ute is still digging a big god damned hole. Cool fucking mine tour BTW.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

You won't get into the shitty shit of the Great Plains and Eastern Montana until you get to Billings. Then it is fuckery up through Miles City and into North Dakota.

If you're dropping down into Wyoming on I-90, it stays pretty nice until you get near Gillette. Then improves beautifully in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

If going though Wyoming I recommend going through the Big Horn MTs. Spectacular
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Deer Lodge museum day today. Hanging around doing nothing, staying in Garrison Jct and that is all it is. Been to Hell-ena and back - actually quite nice up there. Getting into rolling hill of Montana and it appears the beginning of the Great Plains.

In one of the museums they were playing piano music. I recognized 5/8 songs so asked about the music. This is the most excited the hostess lady got all day I think. She brought a collection of old west piano players recorded on CD. They were pretty good actually so I present one of the CDs here for your listening enjoyment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HWqocyKsQ&list=OLAK5uy_kkRXEPp55UKaBL8Gtrjk5pY67VZyYntDQ

Damn should have put this on album of the day

Have you ever been to the Bucket of Blood saloon in Virginia City, Nevada?
    My dad lives in Carson City. Insists that we go to Virginia City every time I visit. Not my cuppa. Rather go west to Tahoe than east into the 110-degree wasteland.
    But have you been to the Steam Punk store in Virginia City? That's what I thought
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

You won't get into the shitty shit of the Great Plains and Eastern Montana until you get to Billings. Then it is fuckery up through Miles City and into North Dakota.

If you're dropping down into Wyoming on I-90, it stays pretty nice until you get near Gillette. Then improves beautifully in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

driving to of out of Sheridan headed to Shell canyon, I moose calf was 15 foot off the road, I moved left to give room and Mama Moose came charging out onto the road - luckily I was in the wrong lane - she turned and continued after me. Last I saw in the rear view mirror was still in the middle of the road watching me fade away. Close call. CSB I know. I plan on taking the mrs on a drive all around that area
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

Deer Lodge museum day today. Hanging around doing nothing, staying in Garrison Jct and that is all it is. Been to Hell-ena and back - actually quite nice up there. Getting into rolling hill of Montana and it appears the beginning of the Great Plains.

In one of the museums they were playing piano music. I recognized 5/8 songs so asked about the music. This is the most excited the hostess lady got all day I think. She brought a collection of old west piano players recorded on CD. They were pretty good actually so I present one of the CDs here for your listening enjoyment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8HWqocyKsQ&list=OLAK5uy_kkRXEPp55UKaBL8Gtrjk5pY67VZyYntDQ

Damn should have put this on album of the day

Have you ever been to the Bucket of Blood saloon in Virginia City, Nevada?
    My dad lives in Carson City. Insists that we go to Virginia City every time I visit. Not my cuppa. Rather go west to Tahoe than east into the 110-degree wasteland.
    But have you been to the Steam Punk store in Virginia City? That's what I thought
    You’re a steam punk Damone? Freaky.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

I disagree. I thought east of Billings and into ND had some of the absolute best landscape scenes I saw on my trips through there in 2017.

I’ve stayed in Billings twice.

1st time (2015) was because I didn’t know it’s kind of a shitty town. Booked a downtown hotel, saw the meth addicts all over and promptly walked into the lobby to cancel my reservation. Went towards a Home Depot area and stayed in a hotel there.

2nd time (2017) was because a check engine light came on in our brand VW Atlas 90 minutes past Bozeman. Had to choose between backtracking to Bozeman or going to Billings. Ended up staying about 36 hours for the issue to get solved - a good chunk of that time was for the car to shut down and the engine to cool off so the techs could get into it. Found a small hotel and actually some decent parts of Billings that weren’t full of @Swaye’s meth addicted Rez Life relatives.

One of my bucket list/death wish items is to spend St. Patrick's Day in Butte.

There was a time when Irish was commonly heard in the mines beneath and around Butte, Montana. Built largely by Famine emigrants, Butte had a higher percentage of Irish than any other city in the U.S. at the dawn of the 20th century. As the mines became less profitable, the Irish came in fewer numbers, but most who were there stayed and the city is steeped in Irish pride. Naturally, St. Patrick’s Day is a huge affair, and with no open container laws until 2013, arguably one of the country’s rowdiest. (Source: butteamerica.com)

Eastern Montana/North Dakota is fine - it just reminds me too much of the scablands of Eastern Washington.

Stuff adjacent to the Missouri River is cool.
    Savannah also has a huge St Patrick’s day party. I don’t if there’s a significant Irish population/history there but it’s a huge party.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

driving to of out of Sheridan headed to Shell canyon, I moose calf was 15 foot off the road, I moved left to give room and Mama Moose came charging out onto the road - luckily I was in the wrong lane - she turned and continued after me. Last I saw in the rear view mirror was still in the middle of the road watching me fade away. Close call. CSB I know. I plan on taking the mrs on a drive all around that area
    I’ve spend tons of time over the last 7-8 years in the Shell Canyon and bighorns. People forget there are moose there. They forget that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Well here I be in the loverly place called Rush-no-More Campground. Timed it well as there was a car show here on Saturday, place was packed and today - nothing. No pictures from me today I wanted to post to get the two travel logs at the top of the page.

Actually, here is some edited comment by MrsIamnotinLebam's blog - no I will not link the blog!!!

Her thoughts on Mt. Rushmore

Her thoughts on Crazy Horse

@swaye to enter CH the guy did not give me a discount for being an honorary member of the Makah Indian Nation but I will forgive him. This is the 4th Indian, or should I say indigenous peoples?, area we have been to and the best. Kaibab Paiutes twice was great, the only one I would stay away from is anything Navajo.

Any misspelled words in the Mrs' excerpt were more than likely the words she asked me how to spell
    That is all

That thing hasn't changed since I was there in 1981.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    another fine porter -South Dakota brewed

I use these in lieu of eating a meal

Swaye's Wigwam
    LebamDawg said:

Chilling on the banks of the Missouri in Oacoma, SD

You taking Mabel down by the river ?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PBR has gone fancy

Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Getting ready to leave Waterloo, IA and have been battling it out with the manufacturer of this rig (Tiffin Motorhomes) ran across another F'ed up situation where their QA guys overlooked a missing set screw. Which in turn screwed up the slide drive, which in turn screwed up the tracks, which in turn screwed up the channel alignment

The good news is they have the parts needed but the bad news I change my travel plans and head due south to - I love pronouncing and even typing this one - Tishomingo, MS. So the big wigs at Tiffin suck but their workers are great. Guy says he is waiting for me to get there to get the work done.

So my route to North Carolina jogs to Mississippi then to Durham, NC - assholes.
    leaving here with a song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_9CiNkkn4
  • DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,401
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Just to support you in your ongoing quest to see the country via money pit on wheels, there was a murder last week in Lebam. Not really Lebam proper, more so the suburbs, but looks like you got out before it truly went to hell.