Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Religion Pole

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Deist - some God of some sort is out there, somewhere
    pawz said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

My basic elevator speech hasn't changed much since HS...

Earth = 4.5 billion years old

Simple life emerges 600 million years ago

Dinosaurs for like 200 millions years

Early modern homo sapiens don't arrive until 200,000 years ago

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Some say it takes more faith not to believe than to believe.
    Well, yeah, if I’m wrong, the consequences are dire. Eternal damnation sounds like a real bummer.
    The point is, you have faith.
    I don’t stress about it much. The burden of proof is not on me after all. I don’t make any metaphysical claims.
    I didn’t assert you stressed. Just stated a fact. Yet some would suggest “life emerges” is a metaphysical claim.
    Some are wrong. There's no metaphysical claim with "life emerges", rather, we're? just saying we don't know yet (and may never know). But not knowing the answer doesn't equate to evidence of magic or that the laws of physics were suspended this one time.

At the end of the day, I stand by Saint Chris Hitchens point, which is to say that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Yes… it can be. Which is why “life emerges” 600 million years ago requires faith. Because it can be dismissed without evidence.

My bro in law has a PHD in chemistry. From UW in the mid 90s. He runs a big department of about 200 people doing top secret shit. His journey to Christianity was chinteresting (or not). The deeper he got into science and his field, he could no longer ignore that God exists. Until he then accepted Christ. He’s not the only scientist I know who went through this. It doesn’t prove or disprove anything. I just find it compelling when people deep into chemistry, biology, archaeology, astronomy, etc either become Christian’s or their faith deepens.
    It takes a whole lot more faith to believe the entirety of the universe came together by a series of unrelated cells, minerals, atoms and events than to accept that perhaps there is some master designer that built it.

That’s my point. Im an atheist though. But I understand the benefit religion has in organization and maintaining a civil society throughout history and today. I’m not anti religion. Atheists who lose their shit over religion are fucking annoying. They are usually arrogant smug pricks as well. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a stupid schtick. Some very intelligent and enlightened people throughout history aren’t so dismissive and flippant about it. Calling people of faith idiots show inability to think abstractly and see a picture.
    I remember my calling non-atheists idiots stage phase .
    Hopefully you’re more enlightened now.

Oops did I put stage?

I wouldn't say enlightened. I did stop calling people idiots over their faith though. My gf of many years is serious about Christianity. It's not an issue for us.
    YKWYWF

? I don't know that one. I'll assume it's a compliment though.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sermon Seeker - TRUE believer in REAL God (protestant division)
    chuck said:

pawz said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Then 2,000 years ago in the most bass akwards part of the world (not Rome or China mind you) amongst a bunch of bronze age goat herders, the most important even in the history of the planet occurs, followed by a Roman Emperor needing a new state religion three centuries later.

I need more evidence guys and can't take on faith. But that's just me, and believing that we're simply worm dirt when we die ain't for everyone.

Mrs. Snow is a confirmed papist, but more of a deist these days. I told her she can take on a new boyfriend in heaven if I don't get in.

ATBSJBS, I'm thankful for the Protestant Reformation and the good that it did in creating the modern world.

Some say it takes more faith not to believe than to believe.
    Well, yeah, if I’m wrong, the consequences are dire. Eternal damnation sounds like a real bummer.
    The point is, you have faith.
    I don’t stress about it much. The burden of proof is not on me after all. I don’t make any metaphysical claims.
    I didn’t assert you stressed. Just stated a fact. Yet some would suggest “life emerges” is a metaphysical claim.
    Some are wrong. There's no metaphysical claim with "life emerges", rather, we're? just saying we don't know yet (and may never know). But not knowing the answer doesn't equate to evidence of magic or that the laws of physics were suspended this one time.

At the end of the day, I stand by Saint Chris Hitchens point, which is to say that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Yes… it can be. Which is why “life emerges” 600 million years ago requires faith. Because it can be dismissed without evidence.

My bro in law has a PHD in chemistry. From UW in the mid 90s. He runs a big department of about 200 people doing top secret shit. His journey to Christianity was chinteresting (or not). The deeper he got into science and his field, he could no longer ignore that God exists. Until he then accepted Christ. He’s not the only scientist I know who went through this. It doesn’t prove or disprove anything. I just find it compelling when people deep into chemistry, biology, archaeology, astronomy, etc either become Christian’s or their faith deepens.
    It takes a whole lot more faith to believe the entirety of the universe came together by a series of unrelated cells, minerals, atoms and events than to accept that perhaps there is some master designer that built it.

That’s my point. Im an atheist though. But I understand the benefit religion has in organization and maintaining a civil society throughout history and today. I’m not anti religion. Atheists who lose their shit over religion are fucking annoying. They are usually arrogant smug pricks as well. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a stupid schtick. Some very intelligent and enlightened people throughout history aren’t so dismissive and flippant about it. Calling people of faith idiots show inability to think abstractly and see a picture.
    I remember my calling non-atheists idiots stage phase .
    Hopefully you’re more enlightened now.

Oops did I put stage?

I wouldn't say enlightened. I did stop calling people idiots over their faith though. My gf of many years is serious about Christianity. It's not an issue for us.
    YKWYWF

? I don't know that one. I'll assume it's a compliment though.
    you know why you were flagged
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,532
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I paid $35 for my official papers and became a priest in the Universal Life Church. I held communion daily, sometimes 3-4 times a day - to hell waiting for Sundays. None of my friends would let me perform the wedding ceremonies. Assholes.

I was down and out when I paid the $35 - otherwise I would have paid the $100 for the advanced degree and name or my choice. My wife at the time did not approve of me doing that as I wanted to name myself Mother Superior.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sermon Seeker - TRUE believer in REAL God (protestant division)

Somehow life started. That’s the most simplistic reason why I believe in God.

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

All of the Heaven/Hell and afterlife stuff is difficult for me because nobody actually knows.
    I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    It was, but you still can't rule out that it was all set in motion by something.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,853
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022
    Flying spaghetti monsterinan - God's not real you fucking idiot
    chuck said:

I suppose where I differ with you god guysm, is that “somehow life started” doesn’t suggest to me magic and/or divine plan. The origins of life seem totally random, haphazard and disorganized.
    It was, but you still can't rule out that it was all set in motion by something.
    Nope. But we can make educated guesses.

There’s no examples of magic in the normal, every day universe, which is why I don’t see how “life began” would be any different.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    MadSon the Chosen Ones

If God's purpose is to fill in the gaps of human knowledge, then God is shrinking every day.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    Janet Reno
    Mad_Son said:

If God's purpose is to fill in the gaps of human knowledge, then God is shrinking every day.
    If you’ve ever read an @HHusky or @MelloDawg post on the Tug, you’d know that’s not true.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

If you’ve ever read an @HHusky or @MelloDawg post on the Tug, you’d know that’s not true.

It’s a long list.
  • Options
    Janet Reno

Mad_Son said:

It’s a long list.
    You can't rank the amateurs with the professionals.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Grew up Lutheran. Loved my church. It was pretty progressive for the time/area (didn’t take the Bible literally, gays weren’t going to Hell, and encouraged interfaith dialog - even with those shady papists!)…good old fashioned hymns, potlucks after the service, and you got out early enough to watch the afternoon NFL games. The congregation was a great community: little old ladies hand sewed us quilts as confirmation gifts, and we did charity work. I can confidently say that place had a big part in shaping my moral compass.

But when I got to college, I finally popped open the hood of my theological car and took a look at what was inside. I realized that I didn’t actually agree with/believe a lot of it. Plus my social circle now mostly consisted of the non-religious or atheists. I only went to church when I visited my parents, and even then it just felt like theater to me. I entered my spiritual “desert period”.

After visiting lots of other houses of worship and reading a ton of religious texts I ended up going with Team Buddhist (fortunately my family respected my decision). I loved forming a meditation practice, there were services during the week so I had my weekends free. But what I loved most of all was that questioning was not only allowed, but encouraged. That being said though, anything that delved too deeply into the metaphysical (including the existence of a “God”) was downplayed, as it was a distraction from the practical real-life work of finding calm, being a good person, and breaking the cycle of suffering.

But then 2020 happened.

Between Trump, COVID, all the civil unrest, my sangha (congregation) went WAY political. We talked less about the dharma (teachings), and more about what was in the news. I’m a big believer of separation of church and state, so I left…not to go to transfer portal, but with the intention of becoming a sole practitioner. And that’s what I did.

I still meditate everyday, try not to be an asshole, and am currently reading a lot of books on Western philosophy. I miss having a community, but this feels far more authentic.

Anywho, thank you for coming to my TED talk. Interesting thread @dnc.

Sam Harris tells me there's no mutual exclusivity between meditation and atheism.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

There’s no examples of magic in the normal, every day universe, which is why I don’t see how “life began” would be any different.
    Evolution seems pretty magical to me.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

I dont understand why people bother with evolution anymore. There are way bigger, way older, way more difficult questions that render recent, small matters like life on an isolated rock planet a trivial matter.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

Agree. Sexy-time to pass along heritable traits is a magical thing. I've enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Buddha but not Baker

Grew up Lutheran. Loved my church. It was pretty progressive for the time/area (didn’t take the Bible literally, gays weren’t going to Hell, and encouraged interfaith dialog - even with those shady papists!)…good old fashioned hymns, potlucks after the service, and you got out early enough to watch the afternoon NFL games. The congregation was a great community: little old ladies hand sewed us quilts as confirmation gifts, and we did charity work. I can confidently say that place had a big part in shaping my moral compass.

But when I got to college, I finally popped open the hood of my theological car and took a look at what was inside. I realized that I didn’t actually agree with/believe a lot of it. Plus my social circle now mostly consisted of the non-religious or atheists. I only went to church when I visited my parents, and even then it just felt like theater to me. I entered my spiritual “desert period”.

After visiting lots of other houses of worship and reading a ton of religious texts I ended up going with Team Buddhist (fortunately my family respected my decision). I loved forming a meditation practice, there were services during the week so I had my weekends free. But what I loved most of all was that questioning was not only allowed, but encouraged. That being said though, anything that delved too deeply into the metaphysical (including the existence of a “God”) was downplayed, as it was a distraction from the practical real-life work of finding calm, being a good person, and breaking the cycle of suffering.

But then 2020 happened.

Between Trump, COVID, all the civil unrest, my sangha (congregation) went WAY political. We talked less about the dharma (teachings), and more about what was in the news. I’m a big believer of separation of church and state, so I left…not to go to transfer portal, but with the intention of becoming a sole practitioner. And that’s what I did.

I still meditate everyday, try not to be an asshole, and am currently reading a lot of books on Western philosophy. I miss having a community, but this feels far more authentic.

Sam Harris tells me there's no mutual exclusivity between meditation and atheism.
    You’d be correct. Buddhism (or any religion) can’t lay exclusive claim to meditation practices.

And there’s many that believe the historical Buddha himself was an atheist.

https://tricycle.org/article/was-buddha-atheist/

Secular Buddhism is in fact one of fastest growing ways to practice. All the tasty mindfulness/virtue of original recipe Buddhism without all those pesky karma/rebirth calories.
  • Options
    Janet Reno

Can we discuss the merits of a Catholic upbringing?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

But then 2020 happened.

You’d be correct. Buddhism (or any religion) can’t lay exclusive claim to meditation practices.

And there’s many that believe the historical Buddha himself was an atheist.

https://tricycle.org/article/was-buddha-atheist/

Secular Buddhism is in fact one of fastest growing ways to practice. All the tasty mindfulness/virtue of original recipe Buddhism without all those pesky karma/rebirth calories.
    I'm trying to take more deep breaths these days and not yell at my computer or the kids as much.

I didn't even yell at the TV once during the UCLA game, but that was partly due to @PurpleThrobber 's fruity little edibles.

#YellaMindfulness