Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Waddles with Nacho

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited September 2022 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
I felt chinspired by @LebamDawg’s RV adventures and sold some velveeta stock to purchase an Airstream. It turns out Airstream is the only RV company that uses a reinforced steel frame capable of holding my weight.

Mrs Nacho and I have been toying with this idea for a while now and after renting an Airstream for a couple days in August, we went back to the dealership and made a deposit. We’re both 49 and pretty much retired so we figured why wait? We’re not going full tim like @LebamDawg but we will take it on some long road trips to New Mexico for the Peyote and Utah for the arm pit sex.

We picked it on Friday and drove it home yesterday. This is my first RV and while I’ve driven trucks in the Army and towed some smaller trailers, it’s quite a difference to be responsible for your own trailer - especially one that costs $100k+. I spent the first 90 minutes of our drive home on state highways until I felt comfortable enough with how things handed before getting on the interstate.

I’ll add to this post as we take it out and about but until then, this is it. And here’s a fucking picture.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

And one thing I learned yesterday on the drive home, there’s a place called Ballstown in Indiana.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    She’s a real beaut Nacho!

But you’re gonna need a bigger rig now- i.e., 3 /4 or 1 ton.

Be like Mabel.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

The Throbber is available for regularly scheduled maintenance on Mrs. @CFetters_Nacho_Lover and Mabel.

Mostly lube -oil and filter optional.

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

The Throbber is available for regularly scheduled maintenance on Mrs. @CFetters_Nacho_Lover and Mabel.

Mostly lube -oil and filter optional.

@Doog_de_Jour already called dibs.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

Be like Mabel.

I can get by with the 1500 for now but I’m already dropping hints about how a bigger truck would do more and be better for stuff.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Be like Mabel.

I can get by with the 1500 for now but I’m already dropping hints about how a bigger truck would do more and be better for stuff.
    You can for sure. But towing is just so much easier with the heavier duty trucks vs half tons.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nice purchase - what length is that one, we camped next to some folks that had a 19 footer Tommy Bahama model - the inside was quite interesting.

If you run across a deal on a dually jump on it. I was at a ford dealership in Sheridan, Wy and while I was waiting for my 20K tune up priced one. 90K + depending on options and you have to special order, no dually on the lot. and that is Wyoming.
    Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

Nice purchase - what length is that one, we camped next to some folks that had a 19 footer Tommy Bahama model - the inside was quite interesting.

If you run across a deal on a dually jump on it. I was at a ford dealership in Sheridan, Wy and while I was waiting for my 20K tune up priced one. 90K + depending on options and you have to special order, no dually on the lot. and that is Wyoming.

27 footer. I looked inside one the Tommy Bahama travel vans at the dealership. Cool design but I don’t care about aloha shirts or deep sea fishing to pay for the Tommy Bahama upgrades.

A dually is for sure overkill for me. Mrs Nacho likes the truck as is right now because I’m driving a touch slower than if I had the extra power.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We rented a 23' Flying Cloud at the end of August. It was nice but we determined that it was the perfect size for 1 person.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Be like Mabel.

We have a 2500 HD. Wouldn't have wanted to pull the 23' with a lighter rig
    Founders Club

Be like Mabel.

We have a 2500 HD. Wouldn't have wanted to pull the 23' with a lighter rig
    We rented one last month as well but the owner delivered it; they won’t let anyone tow it and I don’t blame them for that.

I looked up the trailer weights and the 23’ is only 300 lbs lighter than a 27’.
  • YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If you live were I live in the Columbia Gorge, you are going to want anything bigger than a half-ton. The half ton has the capacity and power, to pull it, but the wind and sway on a half ton vs 2500 is way different...
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    YouKnowIt said:

If you live were I live in the Columbia Gorge, you are going to want anything bigger than a half-ton. The half ton has the capacity and power, to pull it, but the wind and sway on a half ton vs 2500 is way different...

A couple of months ago i pulled some friends' 29' Terri trailer down the gorge from the Dalles to Stevenson with my half ton Ram. It wasn't a good idea. They had some heavy shit in the back that I think made it worse, but I didn't feel at all in control of it going over 40. I was just glad I elected to come down 14 rather than trying the freeway. It was a long, slow slog with a lot of pulling over to let people pass.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

YouKnowIt said:

A couple of months ago i pulled some friends' 29' Terri trailer down the gorge from the Dalles to Stevenson with my half ton Ram. It wasn't a good idea. They had some heavy shit in the back that I think made it worse, but I didn't feel at all in control of it going over 40. I was just glad I elected to come down 14 rather than trying the freeway. It was a long, slow slog with a lot of pulling over to let people pass.
    Well thanks for giving me a call and stopping by. Dick
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

I have a weight distribution hitch that helps with towing. My truck still feels under powered though so I’ll be working on convincing Mrs Nacho to upgrade.

All that said, we took her (the trailer, not Mrs Nacho) out on first camping trip today. I’m just now sitting down to drink a beer after we arrived about 2 hours ago.

We’re on the Kentucky River about an hour from Lexington and Kroger Field (#myCats). Nice campground. I think a lot of the folks here would love the Tug and voted for Trump.

One of the first things I noticed driving in was one of @89ute’s sister wives sister and husband are also here.

No way would I pull a 27” airstream with a 1500. 2500HD minimum. Preferably diesel. But not mandatory.

One think I noticed about RV park culture. Not a lot of libtrards. I like chatting up the guys with the $750k rigs. Most of them have a decent story. And it usually doesn’t involve going to womens marches and wearing pussy hats
    Swaye's Wigwam

We rented a 23' Flying Cloud at the end of August. It was nice but we determined that it was the perfect size for 1 person.

Nice Pride trailer.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022

Nice Pride trailer.
    That was my point. That was a bat signal for my monkeypox orgy.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club
    edited September 2022

I have a weight distribution hitch that helps with towing. My truck still feels under powered though so I’ll be working on convincing Mrs Nacho to upgrade.

All that said, we took her (the trailer, not Mrs Nacho) out on first camping trip today. I’m just now sitting down to drink a beer after we arrived about 2 hours ago.

We’re on the Kentucky River about an hour from Lexington and Kroger Field (#myCats). Nice campground. I think a lot of the folks here would love the Tug and voted for Trump.

One of the first things I noticed driving in was one of @89ute’s sister wives sister and husband are also here.

You should go up to them and yell "Go Ducks!