Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Nebraska

Shouldn’t feel ashamed. That was a GOOD Georgia Southern team.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They've got to be nearing rock bottom
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Northwestern game loss was rock bottom 3 weeks ago. Tonight is (un)official turning of page on Scott Frost Era and with new coach comes new optimism.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People keep acting like it's unacceptable for Nebraska to suck and that any coach in America would want to come there.
    Founders Club
    haie said:

People keep acting like it's unacceptable for Nebraska to suck and that any coach in America would want to come there.

Well they were a premiere program for about 50 consecutive years. Maybe even more than that
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

Well they were a premiere program for about 50 consecutive years. Maybe even more than that
    Before hiring an alum who had a quick G5 stint, they hired Mike Riley coming off a 6-7 win beavlet year.

That job gets zero respect and there's probably a very good reason for that.
    Founders Club
    haie said:

haie said:

Before hiring an alum who had a quick G5 stint, they hired Mike Riley coming off a 6-7 win beavlet year.

I'm not arguing about reasons for nobody respecting it. I'm answering your comment about how come people feel like it's unacceptable (or hard to fathom) that they're so bad.
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

I'm not arguing about reasons for nobody respecting it. I'm answering your comment about how come people feel like it's unacceptable (or hard to fathom) that they're so bad.
    They're fucked. They've been fucked. And it's obvious.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nebraska is one of my big worries for DeBoer if he turns out to be a great coach. Nebraska is the preferred D1 team of both North and South Dakota. The Big Red glory years are in DeBoers youth wheelhouse. I could see him being confident enough to go home-ish and to try to rebuild it. If I’m Nebraska I try to spend my lucrative B10 money on Klieman, Leipold or DeBoer.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Don't. Try. The. Hire. The. Alum. Trick.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Nebraska is one of my big worries for DeBoer if he turns out to be a great coach. Nebraska is the preferred D1 team of both North and South Dakota. The Big Red glory years are in DeBoers youth wheelhouse. I could see him being confident enough to go home-ish and to try to rebuild it. If I’m Nebraska I try to spend my lucrative B10 money on Klieman, Leipold or DeBoer.

Don't plan that far ahead
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    What level of shitty does one have to be totally inept as Scott Frost at a place like Nebraska?

Dude makes Willingham look like Vince Lombardi

Founders Club
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

They're fucked. They've been fucked. And it's obvious.
    Okay ballz
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Used to have all the good big boys in the midwest. Osborne finally made the jump when he got enough athletes out of Texas and Florida to complement getting the best of their area.
    Tommie Frazier from Bradenton, Lawrence Phillips from Arkansas, Center from Denton Texas. The 1994 team had 3 starting O-Linemen from the state of Nebraska. Imagine the national champion of college football today having 3 starting linemen from Nebraska.

Talent is more consolidated than ever before and there is little reason for it to consolidate at Nebraska. When it was distributed across more programs, the talent consolidation from the midwest allowed Nebraska to compete at the highest level and complement their strong base with a few dudes from TX/FL. That's not going to happen again for the foreseeable future.

Their current situation is not too different from Oregon's, though Oregon has at least a closer recruiting area to draw from with less competition (California) than Nebraska does. And of course Oregon has found very ways to convince kids to go to Eugene. Nebraska has not done the same.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659

Bob Devanny built the program and went back to back in 70 and 71. Osborne coached until around 1998 and won two but was pretty much 10-1 every year. Solich got boat raced by Miami in the 2002 BCS

And then darkness fell on Lincoln

But a lot of folks grew up on Nebraska being there every year. Like our 91 DAWGS

People forget Bo Pelini won at a 70% clip.

Scott Frost is a fucking retard. He'd be smart to have his lookalike call plays on game day. Or hire Coach Taylor as OC.

• ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Leipold isn’t a sexy hire but he’d have nebraska at 9-3/10-2 most years. He’s going to take Kansas to a bowl this year. Anyone other than him would be a massive mistake.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2022
    whlinder said:

Used to have all the good big boys in the midwest. Osborne finally made the jump when he got enough athletes out of Texas and Florida to complement getting the best of their area.
    Tommie Frazier from Bradenton, Lawrence Phillips from Arkansas, Center from Denton Texas. The 1994 team had 3 starting O-Linemen from the state of Nebraska. Imagine the national champion of college football today having 3 starting linemen from Nebraska.

Talent is more consolidated than ever before and there is little reason for it to consolidate at Nebraska. When it was distributed across more programs, the talent consolidation from the midwest allowed Nebraska to compete at the highest level and complement their strong base with a few dudes from TX/FL. That's not going to happen again for the foreseeable future.

Their current situation is not too different from Oregon's, though Oregon has at least a closer recruiting area to draw from with less competition (California) than Nebraska does. And of course Oregon has found very ways to convince kids to go to Eugene. Nebraska has not done the same.

Good cover of it. OTOH, when you really think about it, most programs can't live on what grows in their backyards. But, yes, they are especially dependent on recruiting areas that are not close. I'd say being on the West coast, or bordering a west coast state, is a much better situation than is Nebraska's. In some respects, Cuog has it easier, other than that they're Cuog.

Old Nebraska teams could also recruit Cali. Those 90s era teams were loaded but don't forget Osbourne wasn't exactly running a church choir program at that time either. I'm sure they had their own bagmen.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

haie said:

And the hiring of Mike RIley was the reason Bill Moos "retired" out of the blue a couple of years later.