Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ARIZONA GOLF IN THE SUMMER - The Best Time?

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Did it as a kid in SE WA, and later in Palm Springs and PHX. Eschewing golf etiquette, could get in 18 in a little over 2 hours, since sane people don't go outside in that kind of heat. At my advanced age, wouldn't do it now, but it always beat the shit out of 6+ hour rounds in a NW summer, for me...
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My brother and a friend walked two rounds last year when it was 120* out here. I told them to fuck off. I wouldn't go out there in a cart in that shit, much less walk it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm playing with a friend at a cheap muni in Longview tomorrow morning (mint valley). Our fourth dropped out. If anyone is nearby and interested in filling the spot I'd be up for a meet.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I've been to Top Golf when it was 114 degrees. Not quite the same thing I know
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,761
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Cart girl circuit is way worse in the summer.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,261
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I played nine at Lynnwood once when it was 78 and partly cloudy.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    It gets light about 5:45. If you started at 6, it wouldn't be too bad until 9.
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I'm playing with a friend at a cheap muni in Longview tomorrow morning (mint valley). Our fourth dropped out. If anyone is nearby and interested in filling the spot I'd be up for a meet.

In my late teens and early twenties I played Mint Valley many times. Fond memories.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

In my late teens and early twenties I played Mint Valley many times. Fond memories.
    A friend of mine just moved up that way and likes it quite a bit. He thinks it's nicer than our home course here, which is decent but charges quite a bit more. It's pretty damn low priced and I wouldn't normally be looking to drive 2+ hours for a low end course, but he's been emphatic that it's worth it. He's getting a membership.
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

A friend of mine just moved up that way and likes it quite a bit. He thinks it's nicer than our home course here, which is decent but charges quite a bit more. It's pretty damn low priced and I wouldn't normally be looking to drive 2+ hours for a low end course, but he's been emphatic that it's worth it. He's getting a membership.
    I also loved the now-defunct Golfgreen Golf Center in Longview. A par 3 course that holds a special place for me and I mourn its passing. It was blue collar all the way. On the very first tee, along the left-side chainlink fence was a paper mill. On the far other side of the course was a used car lot. The #8 was a 29-yard hole. Once upon a time, my late sister hit a hole-in-one with a putter, while I simultaneously double bogeyed.

#9 was 180 yards back to the clubhouse. For some reason I always hit majestic drives off that tee. I always felt great.

In my mid-teens, my grandma would drop me off there at 8am and pick me up at 5pm. I kept playing round after round at $3 a pop.

@WhiskeyDawg and I discussed that course about ten years ago.

These days, it is covered over by a church parking lot.