Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How about some game grades?

BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,246
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited September 2022 in Hardcore Husky Board
Offense:

QB: A+

Penix played better than I could have imagined. Was honestly not that thrilled going into the season with him, but left eating that crow. He knows this offense like the back of his hand. He didn't throw a single questionable ball all night. His ability to see the field and hit passes with pressure in his face is something we haven't seen in a LONG time. He can throw all the routes and does it with touch or zip when he needs to. He has much better wheels than I thought and used em when he needed to. Fucking stud performance.

RB: C

I thought the Hawaiian kid looked OK. He seems like a tough runner. The kid from Nebraska seems like a good fit as a pass catcher. Cam Davis continues to underwhelm in his Husky career. As I said in the game thread, I don't see really see anything special that he brings to the table. Runs to the exterior produced some decent results the RB's didn't run inside the tackles well at all except for the 1st TD of the game. They only had 106 yards as a unit... we need more.

WR: A

This unit looks like a problem for opposing defenses with Penix at the helm. Odunze was a beast. McMillan quietly put together a dominant game. Taj Davis played great. You can't cover em all... Route running seemed fantastic, no drops, even solid blocking in the run game to the exterior for the most part. Only wideout who didn't play well was Giles Jackson. Saw him blow a block twice... fumble on KR... for a guy who is supposed to give us some twitch, it sure seems like he's lost a step since he left Michigan.

TE: B

Even though he had a drop, I thought Culp had a really nice game. He had a couple nice catches, threw some great blocks, protected well, drew a PI. I think he's going to shine in this offense. Is Jack Westover a TE? Cause he's the one who dragged the grade down. Had a bad drop... wiffed on blocks in numerous run plays. It's also his role to clear the way on short yardage runs... he didn't.

OL: B

Pass protection was an A+. Penix had all day to throw. Fautanu filled in admirably at left tackle and had a great game despite some early penalties. Rosengarten seemed to play well opposite him. I was happy to see Luciano manage the center position like a veteran. Run blocking, particularly on plays to the interior, was horrible. Not sure who the culprits were w.o watching tape but there was just nothing inside.

Defense:

Safeties: B-

Ya, Asa had 2x picks. I suppose that's fun. But his angles were horrible yet again and Kent St. hit some big plays off of those bad angles. Alex Cook was flying around out there, but he missed a load of tackles. If he can clean it up it appears he's got some solid instincts and speed to be an impact guy out there.

Corners: D

Probably the worst position group of the night. Both Powell and Perryman stuck out like sore thumbs. Powell got beat over the top by a nobody and was just a body out there. Perryman was a step behind on crossing routes all night. Neither of them had a PBU. Cephas had field day on both of them, racking up 105 yards. Not good at all, needs changing quickly.

Linebackers: C+

I don't think they played horribly but nobody stood out. I just don't recall very many "plays" being made by the group. No sacks, only 1 TFL, just 16 total tackles from the main LB's. It seemed like Kent St. was always able to move the pile once the RB got past the first level and the backers weren't there to meet em head on. Bright and Bruener just didn't do much. Need more here. \

Edge Rushers: B-

They got pressure on the Kent St. QB all night but couldn't convert into sacks. Often took really aggressive lines to the QB where he spun out multiple times and burned the D. A less athletic QB and Zion probably has 3 sacks... instead he ended up with arm fulls of air and just 1 total tackle. Same can be said for Trice, even though he converted on a sack. Martin had some decent tackles in the run game but he looked horrible chasing the athletic QB - got juked out of his shoes. Oddly, Sav Smalls probably had the best game of the bunch. He was easily the best edge player in the run game, racking up 6 total tackles. He just seemed to be the player who was constantly in the right place at the right time and he was as sure a tackler as we had.

Defensive Tackles: C -

Horrible in the run game. Just 7 total tackles from the group. Limited pressure on the QB overall. The position just continues to underwhelm despite really nice recruiting here over the years. I thought the backup kids showed a lot more fight and effort.

Special Teams:

Kick Returns: D

Giles Jackson just isn't what he was as a returner at Michigan. Had what could have been a very costly fumble in the 1st half. He just doesn't look like he's moving all that fast. We've got to have some better athletes out there who can handle this right?

Kick Coverage: C-

Can we please get a kicker who can put the f'n ball out of the end zone? Kick coverage was shit - same as last year. Let some midget get a 50-yard KR... had to resort to pooching it. Not good.

Punting/Place Kicking: B

Henry should not be kicking off (he pisses me off and brings down the whole kicking team's grade), but he was fine on his lone field goal. The new punter, Smith, did well on his only 2 punts w. an avg of 41.5 and 2x inside the 20.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,418
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    OL was D+ and punting/placekicking was C. I agree with everything else. Safeties getting a B- is being charitable, but okay.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,996
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    UW still can't get a kicker to put it in the end zone with regularity. Some things never change. Definitely ready for the next kicker to hate.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,212
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    By the Stanford game I’m hoping to see a lot less of Giles Jackson.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,406
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Penix gets a solid A but reserving the plus for a game against a real team.

OL gets a C- for not creating holes consistently against a crap opponent.

TE gets a C for not being able to keep mouthpiece from hitting the turf.

Tackling was a FAIL. Sparty will plunger UW if that keeps up.

Kick coverage was a FAIL. Contain anyone? Best tackle was by the kicker.

Not very crisp outside of the passing game. Lots to work on, which hopefully will keep the team from thinking it accomplished anything. DeBoner and Co. have a lot of material to use in practice this week.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

By the Stanford game I’m hoping to see a lot less of Giles Jackson.

Strong contender for the camp MVP that we never hear about again
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LB play was jaggy/non-descript. Smalls was easily best DE of group. Hope ZTF is still coming back from injury as he had a really quiet game.

Pass-Pro for OL was A+. Penix was throwing in a sideways U all night. Pocket was perfect. Run Grade between tackles not good at all. We got zero push and this wasn't like last year when there was 10 defenders in box. It was standard 3/4/5 sets.

Run D had issues when Kent State ran stretch plays/Off tackle/at our edge guys.

If Penix wasn't #QB1 day he transferred in, he was after first set of throws to sideline in practice #1 all the quaterbacks made.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Probably the worst position group of the night. Both Powell and Perryman stuck out like sore thumbs. Powell got beat over the top by a nobody and was just a body out there. Perryman was a step behind on crossing routes all night. Neither of them had a PBU. Cephas had field day on both of them, racking up 105 yards. Not good at all, needs changing quickly.

Haie 100% Disagrees
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,663
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

Haie 100% Disagrees

If they aren't good enough then have Irvin or some actual blue chip replace them.

Going from a 15yard cushion and playing zone (glorified outfielder) to man and being on an island all game isn't a seemless transition. Corners haven't done this since high school.

The first TD pass coverage could be better but the quarterback (who is good) placed the ball as well as you can. WR didn't even break stride.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Penix is the best qb we’ve had since Cody rather easily
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,680
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    Corners...D- worried

Safeties...C- terrible tackling as usual. Cook was a little better. Turner is still a tap dancing faggot who avoids hard contact. Fuck those interceptions. I hate him.

ILB...B they played fine but weren't a big factor.

OLB...B- need to finish sacks but good pressure. Poor outside contain though.

DL... B I don't see what people are batching about. They had a couole of successful, designed runs. Most went nowhere.

Offense

OL...C. come on drive someone off the ball. Great pass pro but that was Kent St and they didn't blitz very much.

RB...C. meh they'll be fine I guess

The rest is an A.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Keith Price.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742

Keith Price.
    He’s better than price.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Keith Price.
    He’s better than price.
    Best since Price was my point.
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,041
    ReignMan said:

Penix is better than Geno Smith right now

terri schiavo is better than geno smith right now.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,142
    Standard Supporter
    I don't hate myself enough to look up what Kent St returned this year, but they had a really good, balanced, offense last year. They ran, they passed, they scored.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How is culp still being used in the passing game in the year of our lord 2022

Take away his gloves and tape up his hands he's a blocking TE and a random 1st down target once in the first half of games for the rest of the season I can not stand his drops