Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Big Four of Punk?

El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2022 in Yellow Snow's Record Shoppe
Who would be your Big Four of Punk

Sex Pistols
Ramones
The Clash
Dead Kennedys

But for a tour, maybe get the Damned in place of the Ramones

What say you?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Talking Heads
    Ramones
    The Clash
    The Jam
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Want me to edit the thread title?
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Vaginas
    Pigs because that's where bacon comes from
    Breast cancer awareness alt unis
    The South Park pink eye episode.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Iggy
    The Ramones
    The Clash
    X
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sure. Just trying to contribute where I can.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    El_K said:

You had misspelled "punk" and typed "pink", and Yella was just asking if you would like him to change it to "punk". I edited it at around 1am

@El_K
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,058
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ramones
    Sex Pistols
    Black Flag
    The Misfits
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

You had misspelled "punk" and typed "pink", and Yella was just asking if you would like him to change it to "punk". I edited it at around 1am

@El_K
    I try to use try to use the great power invested in me sparingly.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

El_K said:

@El_K
    I try to use try to use the great power invested in me sparingly.
    Normally I wouldn't touch it either except I was 100% positive @El_K had made a typo
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Talking Heads
    Ramones
    The Clash
    The Jam

I dont know that I've ever seen the Talking Heads categorized as punk. Im not sure ive ever seen them assigned to a genre actually. I like it though.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Talking Heads
    Ramones
    The Clash
    The Jam

I dont know that I've ever seen the Talking Heads categorized as punk. Im not sure ive ever seen them assigned to a genre actually. I like it though.
    American punk had its roots in '60s garage rock and in the raw minimalism of the Velvet Underground and the Modern Lovers; several bands -- the Stooges, the MC5, the New York Dolls -- played what was essentially punk rock before there was a term or classification for it. But for all intents and purposes, American punk truly begins with the Ramones, around 1975-76. A thriving, often artsy punk scene sprang up around the Ramones in New York City, and similar movements took shape in Los Angeles, where the music was more aggressive and closer to what would become hardcore punk; Cleveland, which tended to be weirder and more experimental, partly due to the lack of media attention; and Boston, which was often closer to garagey power-pop than true punk. New York remained the focal point of American punk, however, featuring most of the style's best-known and/or most influential artists: Television, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads, Cleveland transplants the Dead Boys, etc. By the early '80s, American punk had either faded away or morphed into new forms: hardcore punk, new wave, and early alternative rock. American punk didn't supply the immediate pop-music revolution that British punk did, but it continued to nourish American underground rock for decades, and a California-centered revival of the form -- heavily reliant on the Ramones -- became extremely popular during the '90s.

https://www.allmusic.com/style/american-punk-ma0000011885
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Talking Heads
    Ramones
    The Clash
    The Jam

American punk had its roots in '60s garage rock and in the raw minimalism of the Velvet Underground and the Modern Lovers; several bands -- the Stooges, the MC5, the New York Dolls -- played what was essentially punk rock before there was a term or classification for it. But for all intents and purposes, American punk truly begins with the Ramones, around 1975-76. A thriving, often artsy punk scene sprang up around the Ramones in New York City, and similar movements took shape in Los Angeles, where the music was more aggressive and closer to what would become hardcore punk; Cleveland, which tended to be weirder and more experimental, partly due to the lack of media attention; and Boston, which was often closer to garagey power-pop than true punk. New York remained the focal point of American punk, however, featuring most of the style's best-known and/or most influential artists: Television, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, Blondie, Talking Heads, Cleveland transplants the Dead Boys, etc. By the early '80s, American punk had either faded away or morphed into new forms: hardcore punk, new wave, and early alternative rock. American punk didn't supply the immediate pop-music revolution that British punk did, but it continued to nourish American underground rock for decades, and a California-centered revival of the form -- heavily reliant on the Ramones -- became extremely popular during the '90s.

https://www.allmusic.com/style/american-punk-ma0000011885
    Makes sense then. The early 80s where American punk morphed into new wave is my era. I hated it at the time, and the "wave-os" were the ones listening to Talking Heads at my school. I didn't like them at the time either, but grew out of that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Talking Heads
    Ramones
    The Clash
    The Jam

They were definitely concerned a “punk” band early on along with the other CB GB groups in NYC. The 1st wave of American punk was pretty eclectic.

Obviously, by the 3rd album or so The Talking Heads had moved on to other things.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nothing's changed with my list.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Talking heads
    Blondie
    The tubes
    Sex Pistols

Blondie and Talking Heads are the only ones I liked, I looked and the The Tubes are still touring
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    LebamDawg said:

Talking heads
    Blondie
    The tubes
    Sex Pistols

Blondie and Talking Heads are the only ones I liked, I looked and the The Tubes are still touring

Chin for the Tubes, saw them in the early 80’s, on my list of favorite shows I’ve seen…
  • Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,309
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Social Distortion
    Bad Religion
    Offspring
    Suicidal Tendencies
  • booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ramones the kings then whoever. I like the Tubes but never really thought of them as punk. I'm curious, do you call The Knack punk?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653

Blondie.

Because, brb jo still matters.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @PurpleThrobber I am in shock - that pic is tame