Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pay attention you 'tards ... Wattenberg Vs Sarell

2»

Comments

• WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,279 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2022
    chuck said:

Doogles said:

Including Tight Ends, the OL used to maul people in the early Pete days.

Dissly, Sample, Darrell Daniels, Harris, shelton, Twatt, Mcgary, and even eldenkramp earned at least a cup of coffee.

And the best of the bunch at the time was Adams who never returned to form(still got a little cup from the Bills).

Edit: It's worth noting how stacked 2016 was. It's crazy to say, but they under achieved in a lot of ways. We didn't realize how broken Pete's offense was until the bottom fell out.

SC and Bama were both winnable with better gameplan.

Loved those OL combined with amazing blocking TEs in Dissly and Sample and not a shock that's when the team overall was winning games.

Crazy thing it was super young in 2016.

LT Adams (pre-injury was so different) - So. - I'm not sure if he was the Top 10 pick he was getting mocked at but have to think he gets drafted and has a better career if he could have left after 2016.

LG Eldrenkamp - Sr. - Good college OL. Looks like he'll finish with like 5 practice squad ups in the league.

C Shelton - Sr. - Super underrated really good college OL and should have been drafted. Has worked his way to starting guard for the defending Super Bowl champs.

RG Harris - Fr. - He was probably fine against everyone other than Alabama's nightmare DL. Eventual 5th round pick.

RT McGary - So. - Young here but eventual first rounder and best OL in the Pac-12

TE Dissly - Sr. - Basically was like a first-team All-Pac-12-level blocker extra on the line.

TE Sample - So. - Basically Dissly but younger.
    Good OL aside from having to play Harris as a freshman. Shelton is a great athlete. I remember him jumping off the screen in some of the game gif threads for hoe good he was in the open.
    Yeah, as @JoeEDangerously said the offense was a couple recruiting losses away from being national title level - G (or Shane Brostek being what we all thought he would be) and Big WR/WR3 or just having a game changing QB.

Defense couldn't afford to lose Azeem and Mathis and even with them healthy probably still needed another legit DE.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,603 Founders Club
    edited September 2022
    Disagree. The Oline sucked against USC

27 net yards rushing thanks to no rushing and 58 yards lost on sacks. Yes Browning was retarded but he was also running for his life. USC was credited with 3 sacks

That's 13 first downs the whole game
  • BroadcastingDawgBroadcastingDawg Member Posts: 1,354
    edited September 2022
    Cool that Wattenberg is getting a chance in the NFL...

But I don't really see it as an apples to apples comparison... maybe Sorell has a better career if he had played for the Dawgs?

Maybe someone like Trent McDuffie goes to USC instead of UW and sits on the depth chart behind some 5 stars and doesn't get his chance until now.

You truly never know.

Was Wattenberg ever very good? Offensive linemen stick out like a sore thumb when they struggle and he seemed to stick out more than most. Maybe not at center, but certainly when he played tackle and guard... he was mediocre to bad there.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,564 Founders Club

27 net yards rushing thanks to no rushing and 58 yards lost on sacks. Yes Browning was retarded but he was also running for his life. USC was credited with 3 sacks

We quit running the ball. Coleman had two carries. He was really good in 2016 and deserved more. Gaskin barely touched the ball in the second half. We were one dimensional and USC got after Browning.
    That was always my feeling in that game is we? gave up too easy.

We quit running the ball. Coleman had two carries. He was really good in 2016 and deserved more. Gaskin barely touched the ball in the second half. We were one dimensional and USC got after Browning.
    One of my least favorite games ever. You make a good point. That was an early look at the Petersen shit show offense

One of my least favorite games ever. You make a good point. That was an early look at the Petersen shit show offense
    Agree the OL was far from flawless and I'm sure Adams and McGary being sophomores and Harris being a true freshman was part of that. Ol Clay Helton had a good game plan though and was the first of many to I think just say let's make Browning beat us to great success. Browning was abysmal that night and I feel like missed Ross for like 2-3 TDs/big plays.

Gotta remember the whole energy of that game flipped with Azeem getting injured too.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,942 Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Browning was P12 POY (it should have been Ross) but he was the worst part of that 2016 team, especially after USC broke him. We needed a mobile, very good to great QB to beat that Bama team. Watson and Clemson, with mostly high 3 and low 4 stars at that point, dropped 35 on that Bama defense in the title game.

I only disagree in that I think the lack of depth, all over the roster but mainly at OL and linebacker, was the worst part.

A great QB could have compensated though and the Bammer game would have been winnable.

I haven seen great QB play on a team i like in so long that I'm confused and anxious when I witness it...like it's something unnatural.
    Gladstone said:

Browning was P12 POY (it should have been Ross) but he was the worst part of that 2016 team, especially after USC broke him. We needed a mobile, very good to great QB to beat that Bama team. Watson and Clemson, with mostly high 3 and low 4 stars at that point, dropped 35 on that Bama defense in the title game.

My anti-power rankings of the worst parts of that team:

1. DE after Mathis went down - Wooching should have never played and it was basically a giant hole they tried to fill with Qualls out of position sometimes
    2. G with true freshman Harris - Dude was like 260 and trying to play against Bama's front
    3. Browning/QB - Could argue he is number one, especially after USC gave everyone the blueprint if you had enough talent
    4. Lack of WR3 - McClatcher was a poor man's gadget guy
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter

13 first downs seems pretty good now.

13 first downs seems pretty good now.