Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariners Baby!

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If I was in Julio's shoes I take that as a win-win. Gets real money now and avoids MLB's version of slavery with that 6-year of controlling rights shit. I can believe the Union hasn't made that fuck off yet. I don't toss that kind of opinion out lightly in this case, and I'm not a labor guy, but the way teams can fuck over guys like Aaron Judge until they're 30 years old is insane.

Agreed. Really a feather in Dipoto's cap but Julio just guaranteed himself over $200mil before age 30 as opposed to being a virtual slave for six years. It bugged me at first but I think it's definitely a win win.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wouldn’t have done it if I were the Mariners. These contracts rarely go right.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I wouldn’t have done it if I were the Mariners. These contracts rarely go right.

We didn't learn our lesson from Robinson Cano
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

Not similar though really. The structure of this contract is pretty cool. There's some risk, but they gave themselves an out and tied a lot of money to performance.

Edit...https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1656143/with-deal-official-rodriguez-wants-to-be-with-mariners-for-the-rest-of-my-career/

It's really hard not to moog over this guy.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

It's just like N.I.L...sign the contract and hold your breath that it plays out well. You have to do it to be competitive, and it's better than trying to throw money at him after 5-6 ASG's in a row, when people are telling him "they didn't believe in you"...just hope there are no motorcycles or ringworm in his future...
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

It's just like N.I.L...sign the contract and hold your breath that it plays out well. You have to do it to be competitive, and it's better than trying to throw money at him after 5-6 ASG's in a row, when people are telling him "they didn't believe in you"...just hope there are no motorcycles or ringworm in his future...
    14 years?
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Not similar though really. The structure of this contract is pretty cool. There's some risk, but they gave themselves an out and tied a lot of money to performance.

Edit...https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1656143/with-deal-official-rodriguez-wants-to-be-with-mariners-for-the-rest-of-my-career/

It's really hard not to moog over this guy.
    Oh from the limited things I've seen and heard he's amazing. I mean, when I was really into the Mariners for about 25 years, they would bring up good players and then trade them away (or just lose them) once they developed. So the fact they're showing a commitment to him is preferable. But a long-time contract to a 21-year old feels like there are many ways that this could backfire. Obviously, I hope it works out.

Fishpo31 said:

14 years?
    Risk vs reward...they have to be proactive. If he is who we (they) think he is, 14 years is about right, at his age. Barring injury or off-field dumbfuckery, he will be in CF for 8-10 years, LF/RF/DH for the rest as a middle of the order bat. He's an "Aircraft Carrier", the guy you build it around. "We" have had 2...Griffey and A Rod.

They are who they are, on winning clubs and losing clubs. Lots of "good" players have come through, complimentary players, but none that can carry a club, day-to-day, and lift the line-up...Mookie; Trout; Judge; Harper; Altuve; Soto. Gotta throw Ohtani in there. They lift their teams up, even when slumping..."THAT is the guy we cannot let beat us"...they pitch him carefully (or, don't pitch to him at all), and the guys in front and behind him get better pitches to do damage. As great as Edgar was, without Griffey hitting in front of him he's likely not a HOF'er...

You put Tatis in the middle of SD's lineup right now, that could be 15-20 wins over a season, not solely because of what he does, but because of what he "could" do, and it affects everyone...
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

14 years?
    Risk vs reward...they have to be proactive. If he is who we (they) think he is, 14 years is about right, at his age. Barring injury or off-field dumbfuckery, he will be in CF for 8-10 years, LF/RF/DH for the rest as a middle of the order bat. He's an "Aircraft Carrier", the guy you build it around. "We" have had 2...Griffey and A Rod.

They are who they are, on winning clubs and losing clubs. Lots of "good" players have come through, complimentary players, but none that can carry a club, day-to-day, and lift the line-up...Mookie; Trout; Judge; Harper; Altuve; Soto. Gotta throw Ohtani in there. They lift their teams up, even when slumping..."THAT is the guy we cannot let beat us"...they pitch him carefully (or, don't pitch to him at all), and the guys in front and behind him get better pitches to do damage. As great as Edgar was, without Griffey hitting in front of him he's likely not a HOF'er...

You put Tatis in the middle of SD's lineup right now, that could be 15-20 wins over a season, not solely because of what he does, but because of what he "could" do, and it affects everyone...
    You know more baseball than anyone here, but Edgar’s best season was 95 and Griffey was out for over half of the year. I think he’s hitting great no matter what.

Machado is performing much better this year than when he had Tatis in the lineup last year.

Pitchers still have egos and challenge guys. They miss their spots. Sometimes a guy will still hammer a great pitch. A lot of games aren’t close and everyone gets pitched to.

It also doesn’t seem like Trout has really helped that line up too much. He’s done great. The rest mostly haven’t. Obviously that franchise has problems and have wasted Trout’s great seasons.

There is obviously truth to getting better pitches when there are multiple good hitters in the line up, but I think that is also a baseball cliche that gets repeated so often that it becomes true.

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

14 years?

You know more baseball than anyone here, but Edgar’s best season was 95 and Griffey was out for over half of the year. I think he’s hitting great no matter what.

Machado is performing much better this year than when he had Tatis in the lineup last year.

Pitchers still have egos and challenge guys. They miss their spots. Sometimes a guy will still hammer a great pitch. A lot of games aren’t close and everyone gets pitched to.

It also doesn’t seem like Trout has really helped that line up too much. He’s done great. The rest mostly haven’t. Obviously that franchise has problems and have wasted Trout’s great seasons.

There is obviously truth to getting better pitches when there are multiple good hitters in the line up, but I think that is also a baseball cliche that gets repeated so often that it becomes true.
    True about 95, but he was already "Edgar" by then. Edgar and Griffey were great hitters, in a line-up of good complimentary players. It allowed the comp guys to just go out and play, and play up, without the pressure of having to produce, day in and out.

Trout and Machado make my point, re: great hitters are going to hit, no matter the lineup around them. I'm talking more about great line-ups, deep line-ups, where there are no free outs for the pitcher. Those are the clubs that can survive a guy or two in a slump. On lesser clubs, the 2 most important outs in the line-up are the 2 guys hitting ahead of "the Guy", giving you an open base. I'm throwing bastard pitches (my best, to a spot), and if I get 2-0/3-1, walk him, every time. And, it's not like the pitchers are saying, "He's in a slump, I'll just throw it down the dick"...they have plans, and they pitch to them, and to the reputation...

It is obviously very fluid, but the M's have their aircraft carrier locked up, and they need to continue to draft, develop, and make smart FA/trade choices...

Good Chit!

Swaye's Wigwam
    https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1658843/mariners-rhp-george-kirby-named-al-rookie-of-the-month-for-august/

Kirby has been dominant, not just good. Adding that filthy 2 seamer has been a huge boost. He's throwing four pitches and locates them like a crafty old pro.

The competition for the #3 starter role in the playoffs is pretty interesting. Right now I'd give Kirby the nodd over Gilbert. Doubt it stays that way, but if he keeps making dominant starts its going to be a tough choice.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    M's should close playing .700 ball the rest of the season. The schedule is super easy outside of CLE, ATL, and a 2-game series w/San Diego.
  • LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,626
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Actually look forward to watching them now. The pitching has been great. No idea how they belt out 7 runs sometimes with that everyday line-up.
  • phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #MarinersWorldSeriesChampions2022
  • phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

M's should close playing .700 ball the rest of the season. The schedule is super easy outside of CLE, ATL, and a 2-game series w/San Diego.

Really looking forward to the ATL series. I have no idea how CLE is in a division race when they have exactly 2 guys who can hit and 2 pitchers.
    Pitching and defense…
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

Have fun losing a 1 game series while my Astros go on to another world series.

Only to lose again to my Braves (America's team).

Trashtros? Seriously? Unless you're from Texas...
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    99.4% chance the M's make the playoffs...lol