Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

James A. Michener

How many of you have read any of his work? I'm about to start reading Alaska. The only Michener book I've read was Hawaii, 25 years ago. I was 15 and it was a struggle. A good book overall but a struggle for a dumb kid who didn't really appreciate historical fiction.

Those of you who have read any of his work let know what you thought. I'd like to read Tales of the South Pacific too.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've read Centennial and Space

Thought I had read more. Maybe Hawaii

Watched the Bridge at Toko Ri several times
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club
    I read Hawaii when I was 19.
  • BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Did you like it? Care to read any more?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022
    My parents were big Michener folks. I need to revisit although I’ve struggled at times with fiction as a means for telling history.

My parents were big Michener folks. I need to revisit although I’ve struggled at times with fiction as a means for telling history.

if done right it can be very helpful. I had a professor who used The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara in his U.S. History class. I enjoyed reading a novel on the civil war rather than a textbook.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    edited July 2022

I'd read a Michener book but my life expectancy isn't that of Uncle Race.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Loved Centennial the miniseries. Barbara Carerra as a hot looking squaw. It is like 26 hours long or some shit. But no, never read the books.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 817
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    I've read Hawaii, Texas, and Alaska. Thinking about picking up Poland. Definitely books you appreciate more as an adult. Kinda fun to read if you're ever planning a trip to the area where the book is set.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

if done right it can be very helpful. I had a professor who used The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara in his U.S. History class. I enjoyed reading a novel on the civil war rather than a textbook.
    Gettysburg movie was based off it.

I don't have any beef with historical fiction. It's just not my bag, baby. I'm a fucking noyd and like the dense, non fiction.
  • StateChampWereUStateChampWereU Member Posts: 39
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Hawaii was great. That's all for me.
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Have read several. Mired in worthless detail and no real threads to sink into.

I liken it to experimental jazz. Those who like it because they are so deep into theory and bullshit they no longer care if it sounds good.

Would rather read a harlequin romance.
    Founders Club

Did you like it? Care to read any more?
    Sorry @BeerThirty just saw this. I liked it but I had to push myself to finish it. I bought another one but only got 50 pages or so into it as I recall, and I never read a Michener again.
    Founders Club
    I still like the idea of Sue Grafton doing a Husky series... E is for Emtman
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

Have read several. Mired in worthless detail and no real threads to sink into.

I liken it to experimental jazz. Those who like it because they are so deep into theory and bullshit they no longer care if it sounds good.

Would rather read a harlequin romance.

Know a gal who was a harlequin romance novel cover model.

She's still hot AF in her 50's. Wood but no pics because her husband is kind of a psycho.

Just finished Alaska and Tales of the South Pacific. Not bad but I'm going to take another break from Michener
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I also read this one. Seems timely

• CougzzCougzz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Based on prior responses, I think most would enjoy Leon Uris novels better…Battle Cry, Exodus and some good, original Irish novels. Michener was a huge fan (academically) of the University of Texas and the University of Washington.

He was a prick.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    when I lived in Baltmer (that is what Baltimorons like to call it) I read Chesapeake, Hawaii many years ago. Hawaii was long and drawn out just like the movie.
  • RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I read:
    Texas
    Tales of the South Pacific
    Poland
    The Covenant (South Africa)
    Alaska

I started Centennial but it was too slow of a start for me and I must have had something better to read. I would recommend all of them except for maybe Texas - couldn’t get into it too much. Tales of the South Pacific was his first work and it was okay but I’d put the other three over them.

If historical fiction shit is up your alley Edward Rutherfurd took the formula and did it Limey style. I only read the first few, but Sarum, Russka, and London were all enjoyable.