Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Vinyl Gate

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,850
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
The greatest audiophile vinyl scandal of all time…

@Swaye

@DerekJohnson @PurpleBaze you guysm listened to the Mobile Fidelity Kind of Blue in my smoggy Lynwood studio apartment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/2022/08/05/mofi-records-analog-digital-scandal/

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    "Esposito never claimed to be a journalist."

Let the lawsuits fly.

Tough spot to be in if you're Esposito. Is it your responsibility to refund customers?

Existential crisis is correct.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

"Esposito never claimed to be a journalist."

Let the lawsuits fly.

Tough spot to be in if you're Esposito. Is it your responsibility to refund customers?

Existential crisis is correct.

Esposito is definitely not a technically gifted journalist. I don't think his business has to issue any refunds as he's just the middle man selling Mobile Fidelities albums.

I also don't think Mobile Fidelity is any legal danger, since they've never explicitly claimed "we cut straight from the analogue tape, with no digital step in the process". Rather, it was just assumed by everyone and implied by the their marketing.

I own about 27 mobile fidelity albums and I'm guessing about half probably have the DSD step. They all sound amazing and I have no beef with the quality of the product. That said, I'm not paying $125 ever for any of their "One Step" records. But I'd happily fork over $39.99 for any of their other stuff, DSD step in the process or not.

This thread could really use @HarveyRoad . I actually saw his handle pop up recently on some of the audiophile peeps I follow on IG.