Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What Mega-Conferences? Scheduling Cupcakes is Alive and Well

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He should have been swiftly tackled, cuffed, and dragged off of the field immediately after the third cupcake touched the turf.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,751
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I’m pretty sure if UW paid out my full contract after 1 1/2 years I wouldn’t be looking for work. Id be polishing that shit ugly purple Dodge Charger and laughing while I count my money.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    Founders Club

Tea, Turkish coffee, & espresso all go really well with cupcakes.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I'm happy there is no "brand" wording... but if you are scheduling an FCS team, get a contender. There is no point in playing Portland, which is never really in the playoffs (that I remember). Get Eastern at least.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AOG said:

I'm happy there is no "brand" wording... but if you are scheduling an FCS team, get a contender. There is no point in playing Portland, which is never really in the playoffs (that I remember). Get Eastern at least.

Stop scheduling them. If Washington football fans want to see Eastern they can go drive to Cheney and watch them there.

This idea that power 5 schools, some of which have budget issues from upgrading everything to stay up with modern football, should have to pay millions to an FCS school is FS.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club
    haie said:

He should have been swiftly tackled, cuffed, and dragged off of the field immediately after the third cupcake touched the turf.
    By Stan Emptermananan and Manase Hopoi
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    haie said:

AOG said:

Stop scheduling them. If Washington football fans want to see Eastern they can go drive to Cheney and watch them there.

This idea that power 5 schools, some of which have budget issues from upgrading everything to stay up with modern football, should have to pay millions to an FCS school is FS.
    Supply and demand.

UW schedules 7 home games every year, meaning that years where the Apple Cup is in Pullman, they need 3 home OOCs. P5 opponents expect home-and-aways, so every year we have an Apple Cup, we can expect to play an OOC away from Husky Stadium (Sparty in 23, Michigan in 21, BYU in 19, Rutgers in 17, Boise St in 15, Illinois in 13, etc.)

Therefore, UW needs to schedule 2 OOC home games where they do not need to honor home-and-away, and pay the school a fee for a 1-time game here at HS. G5 schools cost a lot more than FCS schools, so if UW AD wants to try to maximize their revenue and have 7 home games and sell season tickets, they go with 1 G5 and 1 FCS.

Yes, fans hate it, but they'll still go to the games, especially if it's the first game of the year and people are starving for football.

I would prefer at least 2 P5 OOC each year but the UW AD has not operated that model since Sark took over (yes, Sark was the one who demanded we play FCS teams). Our last year with a good OOC was in 2008 when we had home games against Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and BYU.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

AOG said:

effectively, you mean don't mix pro football with amateur football (FBS / FCS)
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022

haie said:

AOG said:

Supply and demand.

UW schedules 7 home games every year, meaning that years where the Apple Cup is in Pullman, they need 3 home OOCs. P5 opponents expect home-and-aways, so every year we have an Apple Cup, we can expect to play an OOC away from Husky Stadium (Sparty in 23, Michigan in 21, BYU in 19, Rutgers in 17, Boise St in 15, Illinois in 13, etc.)

Therefore, UW needs to schedule 2 OOC home games where they do not need to honor home-and-away, and pay the school a fee for a 1-time game here at HS. G5 schools cost a lot more than FCS schools, so if UW AD wants to try to maximize their revenue and have 7 home games and sell season tickets, they go with 1 G5 and 1 FCS.

Yes, fans hate it, but they'll still go to the games, especially if it's the first game of the year and people are starving for football.

I would prefer at least 2 P5 OOC each year but the UW AD has not operated that model since Sark took over (yes, Sark was the one who demanded we play FCS teams). Our last year with a good OOC was in 2008 when we had home games against Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and BYU.
    If UW can get Oklahoma and Notre Dame to come in the same year then the power 5 schools can figure it out or you at least get a competitive G5. It takes some accountability among schools, but just like the pay for play thing, conferences (ie the other schools) need to punish teams that just schedule FCS so that they can get into their conference schedule uninjured.

You gave a player an inducement in this cycle or scheduled an FCS? Automatically disqualified from being eligible for your conference championship game, enforced by the other schools in your league. Automatically disqualified from shared payout if another school in your conference gets into the CFP.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

haie said:

AOG said:

Supply and demand.

If UW can get Oklahoma and Notre Dame to come in the same year then the power 5 schools can figure it out or you at least get a competitive G5. It takes some accountability among schools, but just like the pay for play thing, conferences (ie the other schools) need to punish teams that just schedule FCS so that they can get into their conference schedule uninjured.

You gave a player an inducement in this cycle or scheduled an FCS? Automatically disqualified from being eligible for your conference championship game, enforced by the other schools in your league. Automatically disqualified from shared payout if another school in your conference gets into the CFP.
    Not sure how many times UW has had ND and Oklahoma at home since they went to the Pac 10 from the Pac 8. Nine conference games makes it hard and if it happened once, then the planet were aligned perfectly.

The three home games needed in an away apple cup year is real and it makes scheduling difficult.

At some point the alternative of six home games against good opponents should draw more attendance than seven with a couple of cupcakes. Fixating on seven home games is why we need to have three home OOC every other year. Something tells me that some fans will attend any game and that is why UW schedules the cupcakes.

The solution is an eight game conference schedule where we don't automatically play five away games every other year.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've attended relatively few games, but when I do, it's either a first-game cupcake because it's cheap, sunny, and daytime for taking the kids or it's a big matchup like Stanford/USC in 2016. I've never seen more than about 30,000 for any of the cupcake games, and that's peak everyone in their seats. First and fourth quarters are even more sparse. Tickets to the latter were over $200 and tickets to the former were all under face value. I'm sure the six home games could be more profitable if opponents were worth watching, particularly when considering the TV payout from the added away game.

Math, facts, stats.