Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Ken Griffey Jr. reveals the reason why he hates the New York Yankees

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MLB Network has a magical look at the 95 Ms and a good bio on Junior that tell why he was a Yankee killer
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2022
    That is actually as valid reason. That said, I once saw Griffey giving the cold shoulder to myself and a bunch of other kids at a Tacoma Rainers game (95 rehab assignment) but when the camera got on him, he changed up. No hate on it, but he seems to be somewhat of a strange and awkward guy, which was the last impression someone would have of him back when he was arguably the best player in baseball.

I also once sat either first or second row for a game in 96. Everyone hates Alex Rodriguez, but when my brother and I were yelling towards him, he smiled and said, "Hey guys thanks for coming out to support us" or something along those lines. Hard hitting Mark Whitten hit a walk off grand slam to win the game something like 12-8 or 12-9.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,702
    Founders Club

That is actually as valid reason. That said, I once saw Griffey giving the cold shoulder to myself and a bunch of other kids at a Tacoma Rainers game (95 rehab assignment) but when the camera got on him, he changed up. No hate on it, but he seems to be somewhat of a strange and awkward guy, which was the last impression someone would have of him back when he was arguably the best player in baseball.

I also once sat either first or second row for a game in 96. Everyone hates Alex Rodriguez, but when my brother and I were yelling towards him, he smiled and said, "Hey guys thanks for coming out to support us" or something along those lines. Hard hitting Mark Whitten hit a walk off grand slam to win the game something like 12-8 or 12-9.

A woman friend of mine went early to a game in '96, with her mom. They were outside the Kingdome about three hours before first pitch. She had a big crush on Alex Rodriguez. Suddenly, a car goes by and heads into the players' parking lot. It was A-Rod. My friend got excited... until the car passed and she saw stuffed animals in the back window. Her infactuation ended right then and there.
    Founders Club
    and there has always been a sense of arrogance and immaturity with Griffey. But I loved watching him play baseball nonetheless.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

and there has always been a sense of arrogance and immaturity with Griffey. But I loved watching him play baseball nonetheless.

I've never met a pro athlete that wasn't arrogant, it's a part of their make-up. The immaturity piece is why he was so likable, IMO. Julio's got it, Kelenic doesn't. It's grown men playing a kids' game...
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I've never met a pro athlete that wasn't arrogant, it's a part of their make-up. The immaturity piece is why he was so likable, IMO. Julio's got it, Kelenic doesn't. It's grown men playing a kids' game...
    There are different kinds of immaturity though

Fishpo31 said:

Yes. I was referring to the joy he displayed when playing, the earring and backwards hat...etc. He grew up in a big league clubhouse, which is a pretty hard core environment for a kid (and, frankly for most adults)...around people that don't necessarily care about hurting someone's feelings, or having a laugh at someone else's expense.
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Yes. I was referring to the joy he displayed when playing, the earring and backwards hat...etc. He grew up in a big league clubhouse, which is a pretty hard core environment for a kid (and, frankly for most adults)...around people that don't necessarily care about hurting someone's feelings, or having a laugh at someone else's expense.
    The joy and backwards hat were all great. But I remember one time in 1991, as an example, when he went on the Arsenio Hall Show with his dad. There was lots of joking around and making fun of his dad. But then when Arsenio shifted gears to conclude the interview with a more serious and sentimental tone, Junior kept joking around like he was 12. It was like part immaturity and part self-absorption. Now, I was 20 years old when I saw that so maybe if I saw a clip today I would see it differently, but that's what I remember. It was very cringey.

Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

The joy and backwards hat were all great. But I remember one time in 1991, as an example, when he went on the Arsenio Hall Show with his dad. There was lots of joking around and making fun of his dad. But then when Arsenio shifted gears to conclude the interview with a more serious and sentimental tone, Junior kept joking around like he was 12. It was like part immaturity and part self-absorption. Now, I was 20 years old when I saw that so maybe if I saw a clip today I would see it differently, but that's what I remember. It was very cringey.
    I didn't see that, but it doesn't surprise me at all. We all have flaws, and the flaws of talented people who are in the limelight are magnified enormously. He was very young in 91, but he continued to behave like this throughout his career, at different times, and with different levels of exposure.

Think of how he handled his "retirement" announcement...He got in his car, and drove to Florida, without telling anyone. They built a statue of him. He is beloved. He also likely damaged Don Wakamatsu's career opportunities as a manager.

I know someone who was very inside the M's during that time, and we played a little game with it. I gave him my theories, and he listened, without confirmation or denial. When I finished, he smiled and said "That's pretty good"...It doesn't always show through outwardly, but "Pro Celebrity" fuels itself with immature and self-absorbed behavior...It is Arrested Development in real life, IMO.