Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone else hate that Tuli wears sleeves? Looks like he's heading to the Y for a pick up game. Gaines didn't tape his fingers or nothin
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Canadawg said:

Anyone else hate that Tuli wears sleeves? Looks like he's heading to the Y for a pick up game. Gaines didn't tape his fingers or nothin

All I care about is if he produces. If he's good this year, he can dress however he wants
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All the DT talk in the article and not one mention of Kuah Peihopa who is a likely starter and has been singled out by coaches as being a good player.

The defense can’t really get any worse stopping the run. DeBoer said it was a concern going into Spring Ball and that he felt better after it was done. I think we are soft up front and we don’t have one guy at DT that is legitimately good yet. Tuli is okay. Peihopa and Voi Tufuuni need to be breakout players. I still have a little hope that Tuitele becomes a good player.

Obviously it’s not just the DT’s but they have been really bad the past two years. A bunch of four star guys and a huge part of the leveling up on paper, but they have been busts.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,322
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

Canadawg said:

All I care about is if he produces. If he's good this year, he can dress however he wants
    Pink tutu?

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    Can’t get any worse. Almost impossible not to improve
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,498
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    A few things that could help the run defense:

-Tunuufi and Peihopa progressing. I'm not selling off the upperclassmen yet but I think you just see so less late progression out of college players now.
    -A healthy Ulofoshio - not counting on this.
    -Bruener a year stronger.
    -Safeties that want to come up and tackle/hit someone.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    As bad as last years D was, a lot of it was scheme. Hampton/Cook closer to the LOS and a healthy ZTF will make a difference too.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club

-Tunuufi and Peihopa progressing. I'm not selling off the upperclassmen yet but I think you just see so less late progression out of college players now.

The hitting part is huge. All teams, even ones with great defenses give up a lot of 3-5 yard runs. The good ones often lay big hits on the ball carrier. The shitty ones do not. Hitting hard is the hallmark of every great defense.

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    Swaye's Wigwam

The hitting part is huge. All teams, even ones with great defenses give up a lot of 3-5 yard runs. The good ones often lay big hits on the ball carrier. The shitty ones do not. Hitting hard is the hallmark of every great defense.
    I would tweak that to say that YACs don't happen against good defenses and alot of that is hitting hard while the rest is good technique wrapping up
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doing so without giving up a 15 yard penalty is also key...
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,439
    Canadawg said:

I would tweak that to say that YACs don't happen against good defenses and alot of that is hitting hard while the rest is good technique wrapping up
    Depth is the most important factor for a good defense.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

Hitting hard is important for more reasons than preventing yac. When the defense isn't hitting it's getting hit and worn out instead, and the creases of the first half become wide open gashes in the second.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,312
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bill Walsh taught football like boxing

First hit hurts most

Don't be the hitee be the hitter.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,265
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I hope McBeefery has them ready to rumble
  • Options