Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mariners Baby!

Comments

• BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    haie said:

The sweep and Julio having a sore wrist really is a typical Mariners tale.

Talked to a few dedicated Husky fans this weekend and they just kept talking about how the Ducks are cheaters. And that Mario/Lanning are overrated, only won one Rose Bowl and got lucky beating a disinterested Ohio State. Uncle Phil. Willie Lyles. Jarred Sawyer. Pweston. Blah, blah, blah.

Woof!
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

Talked to a few dedicated Mariners fans this weekend and they just kept talking about how the Astros are cheaters. And that Altuve is a little 5'6 shit rat (so basically he's Houston's Brad Marchand who wouldn't want a guy like that on your team).

3 world series. Probably top 2 mlb franchise the last half a decade+.
    I like the Astros and dgaf about the scandalous shit. I pulled for them in the playoffs when the Ms didn't get in and have for quite a while.

The Ms are my team though and I never really get the puzzlement some show about it. Almost everyone here has stuck with the Huskies for over two decades of mostly ahitty to mediocre football with one high point and less than a handful of once promising but ultimately disappointing seasons.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022
    Baseman said:

haie said:

Talked to a few dedicated Husky fans this weekend and they just kept talking about how the Ducks are cheaters. And that Mario/Lanning are overrated, only won one Rose Bowl and got lucky beating a disinterested Ohio State. Uncle Phil. Willie Lyles. Jarred Sawyer. Pweston. Blah, blah, blah.

Woof!
    Lanning is overrated until proven otherwise.

When Phil is gone, Nike is done giving a fuck about an Oregon backwater.

Facts.

Fuck off.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    haie said:

Baseman said:

haie said:

Woof!

Facts.

Fuck off.
    Woosh

All--including the part UW last won a Rose Bowl while the WTC Towers were still standing--are true.

Epic irony
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,709
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

haie said:

Talked to a few dedicated Mariners fans this weekend and they just kept talking about how the Astros are cheaters. And that Altuve is a little 5'6 shit rat (so basically he's Houston's Brad Marchand who wouldn't want a guy like that on your team).

I like the Astros and dgaf about the scandalous shit. I pulled for them in the playoffs when the Ms didn't get in and have for quite a while.

The Ms are my team though and I never really get the puzzlement some show about it. Almost everyone here has stuck with the Huskies for over two decades of mostly ahitty to mediocre football with one high point and less than a handful of once promising but ultimately disappointing seasons.
    I was a diehard Mariner fan from 1977-2003. But when I heard Howard Lincoln say that the Mariners aren't like Boston and New York where the goal was to win the World Series, it was first and foremost to provide a family-fun atmosphere. I asked why I had been rooting for them all those years, and I was done. I've only been to two games since 2003. I think I've watched only three games since 2003.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

haie said:

I was a diehard Mariner fan from 1977-2003. But when I heard Howard Lincoln say that the Mariners aren't like Boston and New York where the goal was to win the World Series, it was first and foremost to provide a family-fun atmosphere. I asked why I had been rooting for them all those years, and I was done. I've only been to two games since 2003. I think I've watched only three games since 2003.
    It reminds me of the line in North Dallas Forty..."Every time I call it a business, you call it a game, and every time I call it a game, you call it a business". Fans root for teams, and owners root for success. If the success results in wins, all the better.

There are franchises that, no matter how much they win, will never be *truly successful (truly being defined here as making money without revenue-sharing)...Tampa, Miami, Oakland, and some others. They all scout and develop young talent, and do it very well.

There are franchises that, no matter how much they lose, will always be successful...Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals. Probably the Mets at this point.

And there are the tweeners, everyone else. To be a consistent, winning franchise, you either scout and develop, evaluate and trade (direct link to scouting and development), or throw $$$ at free agents. The first two work, but if you don't develop young 'uns and evaluate trades properly, throwing money at FA's is useless (see: Los Angeles Angels)...The top clubs do all three.

Owning a pro sports franchise, if done properly, is like a personal ATM. If you do it right, it can't go wrong. If you cut corners, you will make money thanks to revenue sharing, but you won't ever win consistently. Lincoln said the quiet part out loud, and the customers don't want to hear it.

Dipoto, with his faults, has got the ownership to give him the resources to scout and develop kids. Same on the pro scouting side. He is aggressive, and we are seeing results. I have no inside info, just my observations. The biggest indicator is that the M's are in on Soto, and people are talking about it...

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bring in Soto and I will actually buy tickets for a few games in August.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,709
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

haie said:

It reminds me of the line in North Dallas Forty..."Every time I call it a business, you call it a game, and every time I call it a game, you call it a business". Fans root for teams, and owners root for success. If the success results in wins, all the better.

There are franchises that, no matter how much they win, will never be *truly successful (truly being defined here as making money without revenue-sharing)...Tampa, Miami, Oakland, and some others. They all scout and develop young talent, and do it very well.

There are franchises that, no matter how much they lose, will always be successful...Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals. Probably the Mets at this point.

And there are the tweeners, everyone else. To be a consistent, winning franchise, you either scout and develop, evaluate and trade (direct link to scouting and development), or throw $$$ at free agents. The first two work, but if you don't develop young 'uns and evaluate trades properly, throwing money at FA's is useless (see: Los Angeles Angels)...The top clubs do all three.

Owning a pro sports franchise, if done properly, is like a personal ATM. If you do it right, it can't go wrong. If you cut corners, you will make money thanks to revenue sharing, but you won't ever win consistently. Lincoln said the quiet part out loud, and the customers don't want to hear it.

Dipoto, with his faults, has got the ownership to give him the resources to scout and develop kids. Same on the pro scouting side. He is aggressive, and we are seeing results. I have no inside info, just my observations. The biggest indicator is that the M's are in on Soto, and people are talking about it...

That Howard Lincoln interview happened within 18 months of Lou Piniella begging, pleading, screaming for just a little more pitching to put the team over the top. But they wouldn't give it to him.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

ntxduck said:

haie said:

Have fun losing a 1 game series while my Astros go on to another world series.

Only to lose again to my Braves (America's team).

One game series are gone starting this year. Now best of 3 with 3 wild card teams getting in (and worst division winner). Other two division winners get a bye
    This is horrible. Every sport continues to water itself down and destroy itself
    Television revenue rules supreme
    Fishpo31 said:

“It’s awfully warm for September”…
    Yep, plenty of time to have a skid only to rally in September and finish 1-2 games out. The script

Fishpo31 said:

“It’s awfully warm for September”…
    Yep, plenty of time to have a skid only to rally in September and finish 1-2 games out. The script
    Atlanta didn't even reach .500 until August last year. If they are within 3 games of a wild card spot on September 1st, it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch it play out...Baseball gonna baseball, the "best" teams don't always win, and the M's aren't one of the best teams, they are one of the hottest teams. They are playing about as I expected, they aren't better than the Astros or Yanks, but they don't have to be, right now. Can they be, for a series? That is why we watch...

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

haie said:

That Howard Lincoln interview happened within 18 months of Lou Piniella begging, pleading, screaming for just a little more pitching to put the team over the top. But they wouldn't give it to him.
    I was fortunate to have a long conversation with Pat Gillick about 10 years ago, and I brought that up. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders and said, "Some people want to win more than others"...
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseman said:

haie said:

Baseman said:

haie said:

Woof!

Facts.

Fuck off.
    Woosh

All--including the part UW last won a Rose Bowl while the WTC Towers were still standing--are true.

Epic irony
    Than it looks like I need to transfer some of my doogcoins to you as penance.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022
    haie said:

Baseman said:

haie said:

Baseman said:

haie said:

Woof!

Facts.

Fuck off.
    Woosh

Epic irony
    Than it looks like I need to transfer some of my doogcoins to you as penance.
    Then*

Fucking fuck off Vanilla. I wouldn't hire any of your fucking devs. Fuck bags.
    haie said:

Typical Seattle “They CHEATED” bullshit. I’d take that midget 7 days a week…he’s a BALLER…
    chuck said:

haie said:

For me, it’s the idea that they are successful business-wise, but won’t spend to get over the top. And, the money isn’t going to build libraries and buildings on campus, it is going to the investors…
    haie said:

Baseman said:

haie said:

Woof!

Facts.

Fuck off.
    Great board choice fuckheads
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Traded for Castilla. It cost us Marte and the actual best prospect in the organization, which is Arroyo. 18 years old and tearing it up in single A.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Traded for Castilla. It cost us Marte and the actual best prospect in the organization, which is Arroyo. 18 years old and tearing it up in single A.

I see the need and don't feel too bad about what they gave up. I agree Arroyo is the big cost.

But...it's not solving the biggest need and there's no way they can add any big offensive pieces without giving up someone I'd be pissed about.