Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

USC/UCLA Wants to Shut the Door

12346»

Comments

• Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

You can go back to horse and buggy and Oregon still hasn't won shit

1991 BC.

Before Cellphones.

A great team.

NOC about the 90’s.

Except grunge fans.
    and Nebraska fans, Florida fans, Florida State fans, Miami fans, Notre Dame fans, Michigan fans, Bama fans, Tennessee fans, A&M fans, Colorado fans...

I wonder if there's a power 5 program who has a lower appreciation for the history of college football than ducks
    I guess for fans of some of these schools being able to cuddle up with their glory days at bedtime is nice.
    You wouldn't know I suppose.
    188-70 since 2000.

Best in the Conference

No need to climb into the way back machine either.

I know.

Still no 1/2 title to cuddle with.

Yet.
    Lol truly a golden era to glory in.

Too easy quook.
    You’re free to pick a 22 year stretch in UW history that’s better. You can even throw in the 1/2 championship.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,713
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

1991 BC.

Before Cellphones.

A great team.

NOC about the 90’s.

Except grunge fans.
    and Nebraska fans, Florida fans, Florida State fans, Miami fans, Notre Dame fans, Michigan fans, Bama fans, Tennessee fans, A&M fans, Colorado fans...

I wonder if there's a power 5 program who has a lower appreciation for the history of college football than ducks
    I guess for fans of some of these schools being able to cuddle up with their glory days at bedtime is nice.
    You wouldn't know I suppose.
    188-70 since 2000.

Best in the Conference

No need to climb into the way back machine either.

I know.

Still no 1/2 title to cuddle with.

Yet.
    Lol truly a golden era to glory in.

Too easy quook.
    You’re free to pick a 22 year stretch in UW history that’s better. You can even throw in the 1/2 championship.
    Omg. You are so fucking stupid. And clearly unemployed.
  • Options
    Coaches poll good in 1991. Coaches poll bad in 1984. Makes sense.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

Coaches poll good in 1991. Coaches poll bad in 1984. Makes sense.

Just because a bunch of coaches were stupid cunts in 1984 doesn't mean there wasn't an obvious champion that wasn't BYU. You would be the kind of loser quck to ignore Barry Switzer.
  • Options
    Since 1990.

UO 9 conference titles and 6 division titles.

UW 7-4.

National titles.

UO-0
    UW- 1/2

I made sure to include the glory years. 1990-1992.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,682
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

1991 BC.

Before Cellphones.

A great team.

NOC about the 90’s.

Except grunge fans.

Remember the Duck glory days that resulted in no Natties?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,222
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

1991 BC.

Before Cellphones.

A great team.

NOC about the 90’s.

Except grunge fans.

I pointed out that the Ducks have yet to win a 1/2 natty.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,134
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    46XiJCAB said:

Since 1990.

UO 9 conference titles and 6 division titles.

UW 7-4.

National titles.

UO-0
    UW- 1/2

I made sure to include the glory years. 1990-1992.

1/2 a natty but it’s still a complete trophy.
  • Options
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

1991 BC.

Before Cellphones.

A great team.

NOC about the 90’s.

Except grunge fans.

I pointed out that the Ducks have yet to win a 1/2 natty.
    46XiJCAB said:

Impressive.

You're horrible at this.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://tiptop25.com/fixing1984.html

"BYU '84 differs from those other teams in another way too: they did not play a single ranked opponent. The only so-called "national champion" that didn't (though Oklahoma came very close in 1956).

BYU's 1984 opponents went 61-85-3, placing their schedule 96th amongst 98 division 1A schools. And yet their performance was as weak as their schedule. They won five games by a touchdown or less, from a 20-14 win at 3-7-1 Pitt in their opener to a 24-17 win against 6-6 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl-- by far the worst bowl opponent ever faced by a so-called "national champion." How bad was Michigan? They finished 6th in the Big Ten, and the Big Ten was a horrid 12-15 against nonconference opponents and 1-5 in bowl games.

Let's start by comparing them to #2 Washington (11-1). Washington took a 16-7 upset loss at #10 Southern Cal (9-3), but since BYU did not play a team ranked so highly (or ranked at all), we can't fairly compare that result to any of BYU's. Washington's schedule was weak, and the only rated team they defeated was #6 Oklahoma (9-2-1) 28-17 in the Orange Bowl. Still, that is of course far more than BYU accomplished. And Washington's performance was very strong too. All but one of their 11 wins was by more than a touchdown (the only close game was 17-10 over 6-5 Oregon). That's 4 fewer close wins than BYU. This comparison is a blowout for Washington, and should not even be a debate at all. Washington even dominated BYU's bowl opponent, Michigan, in Ann Arbor. The final score was 20-11, but Michigan scored a touchdown and a 2-pointer in the closing seconds to make it look closer than it was. BYU, on the other hand, had to rally for 2 4th quarter touchdowns to beat Michigan on a neutral field, scoring the winner with under 2 minutes left."

Sorry for the text wall but I don't understand why UW doesn't claim '84. Blatant.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,415
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bottom line: Seattle TV market is coveted and networks want it. Is it really still a question that money informs these decisions?
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2022
    Canadawg said:

"BYU '84 differs from those other teams in another way too: they did not play a single ranked opponent. The only so-called "national champion" that didn't (though Oklahoma came very close in 1956).

BYU's 1984 opponents went 61-85-3, placing their schedule 96th amongst 98 division 1A schools. And yet their performance was as weak as their schedule. They won five games by a touchdown or less, from a 20-14 win at 3-7-1 Pitt in their opener to a 24-17 win against 6-6 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl-- by far the worst bowl opponent ever faced by a so-called "national champion." How bad was Michigan? They finished 6th in the Big Ten, and the Big Ten was a horrid 12-15 against nonconference opponents and 1-5 in bowl games.

Let's start by comparing them to #2 Washington (11-1). Washington took a 16-7 upset loss at #10 Southern Cal (9-3), but since BYU did not play a team ranked so highly (or ranked at all), we can't fairly compare that result to any of BYU's. Washington's schedule was weak, and the only rated team they defeated was #6 Oklahoma (9-2-1) 28-17 in the Orange Bowl. Still, that is of course far more than BYU accomplished. And Washington's performance was very strong too. All but one of their 11 wins was by more than a touchdown (the only close game was 17-10 over 6-5 Oregon). That's 4 fewer close wins than BYU. This comparison is a blowout for Washington, and should not even be a debate at all. Washington even dominated BYU's bowl opponent, Michigan, in Ann Arbor. The final score was 20-11, but Michigan scored a touchdown and a 2-pointer in the closing seconds to make it look closer than it was. BYU, on the other hand, had to rally for 2 4th quarter touchdowns to beat Michigan on a neutral field, scoring the winner with under 2 minutes left."

Sorry for the text wall but I don't understand why UW doesn't claim '84. Blatant.

Do what Washington did with the 1960 Helms Bakery Natty.

Announce it approx. 47 years later and raise that banner in Husky Stadium.

BTW: UW finished No. 5 in the coaches poll (UPI) and No. 6 in the AP poll at the end of the season.

You make a more compelling case than for the 1984 Title than for the1960 Helms Bakery Natty. Wasn’t that when virtually all of the football players were white?

• Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Canadawg said:

“Just Do It”
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,604
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

whlinder said:

Big 10 culture is weird. Seeing the ads for Case IH to buy a combine when watching their network is so out of place for my global suburban country club self.

But It also has that old school stodgy holier than thou view.

But the key is being able to watch their network

What a concept

I like the history shows. Can't wait for Big 10 legend John McKay
    I'm curious what Bill Walton will do
    He’s got enough acid saved up in his disintegrating bones to do the same shit he always does.

Walton is actually really insightful, loyal, and a super nice guy if you read his quotes instead of hearing them. But he’ll get over the loss of his beloved conference.

A couple of months ago I was smoking outside of a Lucille’s in Orange and I see a tall, like seven feet, gray haired old man talking or arguing with a woman in the parking lot. He’s wearing a powder blue UCLA polo. It’s Bill Fucking Walton. It’s gotta be. Is his wife Asian? Look it up. Yup. Gotta be Bill Walton. How many seven foot tall old men wearing UCLA polos could there be? I fake cough *Bill. Bill* and no reaction. He’s probably nearly deaf from all the shitty jam band concerts. Why is a vegetarian arguing with his wife outside of a shitty chain BBQ restaurant? No idea, but I don’t judge people for where they have their domestic squabbles.
    His autobiography is great. His youth playing with ABA players, his time at UCLA, his early career, the FBI wire taps, the relationship with the Dead, his time with the Celtics and the nuclear destruction of his back and feet. I listened to him read it on my commutes to work. Amazing.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,168
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Walton is god.

Love that crazy red headed motherfucker.