Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Miami lands 4-star LB Raul Aguirre, beats out Alabama, Ohio State, Florida

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Mario Cristobal and Miami scored another big victory on the recruiting trail Tuesday, landing a commitment from four-star linebacker Raul Aguirre of Fayetteville (Ga.) Whitewater.

Aguirre, ranked the No. 121 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite, will be the highest-ranked linebacker to sign with Miami — assuming he remains committed — since Shaquille Quarterman in 2016. He picked the Hurricanes over offers from Alabama, Ohio State and Florida — schools he officially visited in June.

Aguirre, who took a pair of unofficial visits to Coral Gables this spring, is originally from Miami. His father went to Christopher Columbus High School, the same private Catholic school Cristobal and a few other Miami staffers attended.

He’s the second linebacker to commit to Miami’s 2023 class, which is now ranked No. 7 nationally.

Last season as a junior, Aguirre recorded 80 tackles, three for loss with a sack, and one interception in eight games. He also had two catches for 30 yards and a touchdown as a receiver.

@creepycoug

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited July 2022
    As you know, my duties as the resident boring and ranting blowhard, along with my other intellectual pursuits, limits my ability to indulge in TBS.

But I did kind of follow this kid's recruiting. The juice is that Bamers was all-in on this kid so a lot people thought Saban would win this one. But that Columbus tie is strong and that made me think Mario had an edge over Saban for this one.

He is doing there precisely what I thought he'd do. Now let's see if they can translate it into at least a divisional title and threaten for the ACC. JFC. If he can make even just a little run next season, recruiting will go through the roof. Mario will win more battles with Saban and hopefully keep the damage that Kelly can do at LSU to a minimum. South Florida loses a TON of kids to those two programs specifically, along with Georgia lately. Mario can keep a good % of those kids home, but he needs something on the field to go with the silky smooth swarthy Cuban charm.
    "Coaching". Well, yeah, Saban is a great good coach in part because he's built the great machine. But the machine he's built runs on high octane. You need the good stuff to run it. He's not the guy, I don't think, who's going to do amazing things with 2 and 3 star talent. That's Chris Peterman. Saban is great in large measure because he's great at getting the very best talent to come to his program. Cristobal is good at that too. LIPO. Nobody was afraid of Nick Saban at Michigan State. 6-6-1; 6-6; 7-5; 6-6; 9-2. When he got to LSU and then Bama, he was able to get the kind of recruits that help make people afraid of you.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mario’s class rankings at Oregon 2018-21 were 13, 7, 12, 6.

One player drafted in 2022. Thibs was in the 2019 class. He was the 5* along with 11 4*.

Let’s see if he and his coaches do a better job of developing players at the U.

Saban out coaches him if they swapped rosters.

edited July 2022
    46XiJCAB said:

Mario’s class rankings at Oregon 2018-21 were 13, 7, 12, 6.

One player drafted in 2022. Thibs was in the 2019 class. He was the 5* along with 11 4*.

Let’s see if he and his coaches do a better job of developing players at the U.

Saban out coaches him if they swapped rosters.

LIPO. As I said above, nobody was afraid of Sparty Saban. Not at all. Swapping rosters is plate tectonics. That's not just any variable. It's the difference between Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes car and the Haas car. Yes, Hamilton is a better driver than either Haas driver, but there is no question he doesn't win like he has driving the Haas car.

Besides, the DWAGs tell me Oregon's 4 stars are paper tigers and not "real" 4 stars. Those same people say Mario sucks using the same rationale you do.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Is this Mark's kid?
    animate said:

Is this Mark's kid?

I don’t think so.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

animate said:

Is this Mark's kid?

I don’t think so.
    I was being silly as per HH guidelines lol.

But seriously, Mark Aguirre is a highly underrated footnote in NBA history imo. Rarely mentioned. Borderline hall of famer?
    animate said:

animate said:

Is this Mark's kid?

I don’t think so.
    I was being silly as per HH guidelines lol.

But seriously, Mark Aguirre is a highly underrated footnote in NBA history imo. Rarely mentioned. Borderline hall of famer?
    Agreed. Great player. I remember those days.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2022
    Mario can recruit, I can’t argue that. But his coaching is dreadful. What he did to Herbert is unforgivable. Dude has the nfl record for passing yards in his first two years, and Cristobal had him throwing screens, slants, and out routes.

And it’s not like the Chargers developed Herbert during fall camp and 1 NFL week into a top 5 QB. Herbert had that skill set at Oregon.

Mario can recruit, I can’t argue that. But his coaching is dreadful. What he did to Herbert is unforgivable. Dude has the nfl record for passing yards in his first two years, and Cristobal had him throwing screens, slants, and out routes.

And it’s not like the Chargers developed Herbert during fall camp and 1 NFL week into a top 5 QB. Herbert had that skill set at Oregon.

Oh please. What he "did to Herbert" was to get the program's shit together for a Rose Bowl run and three consecutive wins over Washington. Herbert is throwing to receivers now befitting his talent. He didn't have those at Oregon. Johnny Johnson III and Jaylon Redd are not anything on which you can base a big passing attack. The best receiver Herbert had at that time was Dillon Mitchell, who was a possession receiver. The single greatest offensive weapon at Oregon during Mario's time was oft-injured CJ Verdell. Oregon was not going to go air game to the Rose Bowl and everybody knows it.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Oh please. What he "did to Herbert" was to get the program's shit together for a Rose Bowl run and three consecutive wins over Washington. Herbert is throwing to receivers now befitting his talent. He didn't have those at Oregon. Johnny Johnson III and Jaylon Redd are not anything on which you can base a big passing attack. The best receiver Herbert had at that time was Dillon Mitchell, who was a possession receiver. The single greatest offensive weapon at Oregon during Mario's time was oft-injured CJ Verdell. Oregon was not going to go air game to the Rose Bowl and everybody knows it.
    It’s cfb.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401135288

These numbers are unacceptable with a soon to be top 5 nfl qb playing college football. Juwan Johnson was also better than Dillon Mitchell, redd, or JJ.

Mario will improve your talent massively and he’s a good guy (with a hot wife). But you’ll get tired of him quickly. His offensive brand of football is unwatchable.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If they focus on passing they don't win that rose bowl and perhaps the conference that year.

His offense was a change of pace from every other Pac 12 team and took advantage of a lack of athleticism at linebacker.
    edited July 2022
    haie said:

If they focus on passing they don't win that rose bowl and perhaps the conference that year.

His offense was a change of pace from every other Pac 12 team and took advantage of a lack of athleticism at linebacker.
    That's exactly right. The running game wasn't generational or anything. It wasn't 2014 Buck. But when Verdell was healthy, he was a problem for a lot of teams and it changed what Oregon could do dramatically.

Look, John Elway himself never led the Furd to a bowl game .... a bowl game of any kind. A guy like Mariota, who was crazy athletic, can take over a game more or less on his own without a great supporting cast. Guys who are primarily passers and good, but not generational, runners generally can't. I'm not the guy who is going to get into some protracted debate about scheme, and I'll take everyone's word for it that Crisco's running of the pistol was not the best of whatever choices they had with their personnel. But I find disingenuous this revisionist narrative that if Herbert had thrown more or if they'd gone back to tempo read-option that Oregon somehow makes a deep run in the playoffs and challenges the juggernauts. I don't see that happening. Herbert's supporting cast ranged from average D1 to pretty good. There were no other "great" players other than arguably a healthy Verdell, whom I'd describe more accurately as very good rather than great.

Again, the wheels were falling off the program and Cristobal got you? guys settled down and back together, brought in some good talent and punched the then conference bully and hated rival right in the fucking mouth for 3 straight and got you a Rose Bowl. I can't explain Utah nor can I explain his stubborn adherence first to Shough-prounced-Shuck and then to Brown. He needs to review those decisions if he's going to take the next step as a coach.

But come the fuck on: Oregon's receiving corp. was B to B+ at best. Oregon wasn't going to do great things with Herbert just letting it rip!
    ntxduck said:

It’s cfb.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401135288

These numbers are unacceptable with a soon to be top 5 nfl qb playing college football. Juwan Johnson was also better than Dillon Mitchell, redd, or JJ.

Mario will improve your talent massively and he’s a good guy (with a hot wife). But you’ll get tired of him quickly. His offensive brand of football is unwatchable.
    Dillon Mitchell is the best receiver, in terms of what they actually did on the field for Oregon, since Oregon very stupidly ran off Darren Carrington. Redd was an explosive slot who should have been used more than he was. Juwan Johnson wasn't that impressive as a Duck IMO.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

That's exactly right. The running game wasn't generational or anything. It wasn't 2014 Buck. But when Verdell was healthy, he was a problem for a lot of teams and it changed what Oregon could do dramatically.

Look, John Elway himself never led the Furd to a bowl game .... a bowl game of any kind. A guy like Mariota, who was crazy athletic, can take over a game more or less on his own without a great supporting cast. Guys who are primarily passers and good, but not generational, runners generally can't. I'm not the guy who is going to get into some protracted debate about scheme, and I'll take everyone's word for it that Crisco's running of the pistol was not the best of whatever choices they had with their personnel. But I find disingenuous this revisionist narrative that if Herbert had thrown more or if they'd gone back to tempo read-option that Oregon somehow makes a deep run in the playoffs and challenges the juggernauts. I don't see that happening. Herbert's supporting cast ranged from average D1 to pretty good. There were no other "great" players other than arguably a healthy Verdell, whom I'd describe more accurately as very good rather than great.

Again, the wheels were falling off the program and Cristobal got you? guys settled down and back together, brought in some good talent and punched the then conference bully and hated rival right in the fucking mouth for 3 straight and got you a Rose Bowl. I can't explain Utah nor can I explain his stubborn adherence first to Shough-prounced-Shuck and then to Brown. He needs to review those decisions if he's going to take the next step as a coach.

But come the fuck on: Oregon's receiving corp. was B to B+ at best. Oregon wasn't going to do great things with Herbert just letting it rip!
    He was a fucking asshole, and I hated him and especially listening to him on pdx radio, but he knew what he had to do to win the conference similar to how Petersen looked at all the spread/air raid shit and forced his defense.

Herbert running on 2nd/3rd down beat Washington and won them their critical games that season. Even if you don't like the pistol, if you pair it with that kind of an athlete that can also hit some average receivers when he needs to, it's hard to stop that.

Their fans wouldn't stop jacking off to their defense but I thought the offense and how they controlled games is what he hung his hat on. Their defense got carved up quite a bit too. They shouldn't have dropped that ASU game.