Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Here's Why Exiting the Pac-12 Would Be a Good Thing for UW

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dan Raley finally wrote an article longer than a paragraph. Even he gets it.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,450
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    "The Huskies need to ask themselves if they're serious about college football or not?"

Except it's not college football in the classic sense. It's show me the money pro football

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The Huskies need to ask themselves if they're serious about college football or not?

That quote should read: "The Huskies need to ask themselves if they're serious about funding every sport at the school and their AD?"

Because if they don't make the right move, their finances are turning to shit
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

The Huskies need to ask themselves if they're serious about college football or not?

Their next moves will partly answer that question for the fans.

Spoiler alert:

• no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 757
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2022
    This is my weak take because I want UW to always have a chance, even though they've been largely a dumpster fire since I signed on in 04. But, assuming we don't jump to B10 (which would be cool but I think we'd be a bottom for the conference besides UCLA), if PAC can grab SDSU and SMU (or even better a couple B12 teams) it's probably not the end of the world I've been envisioning.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,751
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    At least in your scenario we don’t have to make up fake excuses that the pac only sucks because SC is down and will somehow come back.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    LawDawg1 said:

At least in your scenario we don’t have to make up fake excuses that the pac only sucks because SC is down and will somehow come back.

funny and true the last 15 years or so... but make no mistake SC is about to become a force again with the amount of next level cash at their disposal and the breakdown of enforcement of pay for play.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    At SUNJ, at State Penn, at Wisconsin, at Purdue

that isn't college football, that's a joke

It's like moving the Seahawks to the NFC North
  • PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    Its B1G or the death of Husky football.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2022

gmo said:

LawDawg1 said:

funny and true the last 15 years or so... but make no mistake SC is about to become a force again with the amount of next level cash at their disposal and the breakdown of enforcement of pay for play.
    They will probably be good, but what was stopping them before. If they have a pulse they get almost any recruit they want.
    No one is afraid of them, Lincoln Riley, and his Mickey Mouse defense. Last decade took the mystique off. Even with a shit coach you shouldn't be getting butt slammed at home by beavlet.

SC got desperate and overpaid him and then realized they needed the b1g payout to pay for him and the players he needs.

I think they'll be solidly #3 or 4 in that conference. I don't think they compete with Michigan and Ohio St.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Its B1G or the death of Husky football.

FTFY
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    haie said:

gmo said:

LawDawg1 said:

They will probably be good, but what was stopping them before. If they have a pulse they get almost any recruit they want.
    No one is afraid of them, Lincoln Riley, and his Mickey Mouse defense. Last decade took the mystique off. Even with a shit coach you shouldn't be getting butt slammed at home by beavlet.

SC got desperate and overpaid him and then realized they needed the b1g payout to pay for him and the players he needs.

I think they'll be solidly #3 or 4 in that conference. I don't think they compete with Michigan and Ohio St.
    I mean it was only one game but Riley took Sooners into Ohio and beat them.
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 817
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    I’m growing more optimistic that we’re going to the B1G. Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Miami don’t want to be part of B1G, they want SEC membership.

I’ve bought off on the idea you’ll see ND, UW, OR, and Stanford in the the B1G.

I don’t think regionalism is lost on the powers that be. They’d want to see a west coast pod, and rake in the money from those rivalries. Plus, it would reduce the cross country travel. I’d also guess they’d allow for a set non-conference game to allow for the Apple Cup and the Civil War.

This looks more and more like FOX and ESPN paying for what the NCAA has failed to do for 20 years. The powers that be have had enough of the bullshit out of Indianapolis, and the real big hitters of college football taking control.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    LawDawg1 said:

UW and Oregon will be treated like Utah and be asked to accept half for some time. Illinois, Rutgers, and the BIG bottom dwellers won the jackpot.

In what world is there a “super conference” with fucking Rutgers and Illinois and no Stanford? The Furd has more football history in the last 20 years than those two turds do all-time, brings in Bay Area TVs, has more money than any school in that conference by a significant degree and would be the academic giant of the conference (if that matters).

This makes slightly more sense if the Big boots Rutgers and Illinois. What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have? I realize the Mid-Atlantic TV market, but does anyone watch Rutgers? I’ve spent a lot of time in northeast the last 7 - 8 years. Nobody there gives a fuck about college football. And Illinois is hot garbage other than strong (but spotty) academis.
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,751

LawDawg1 said:

UW and Oregon will be treated like Utah and be asked to accept half for some time. Illinois, Rutgers, and the BIG bottom dwellers won the jackpot.

What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have?
    A better conference with much stronger leadership and a media market that gives a shit about them. Everything the west coast doesn’t have. We are too busy policing the national politics and being woke.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited July 2022
    LawDawg1 said:

LawDawg1 said:

What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have?
    A better conference with much stronger leadership and a media market that gives a shit about them. Everything the west coast doesn’t have. We are too busy policing the national politics and being woke.
    I’m talking about conference composition. If you’re building a super conference, Furd over those other two junk drawer pennies is a no brainer.

I know it’s fun to poke at the west coast as being total dreck, but in real life it’s not the case. 13% of the US population resides in just one of those states. And while nothing compared to the southeast, Texas and the Midwest, the west cares about cfb more than the mid-Atlantic and New England states.
  • OlyOly Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

LawDawg1 said:

In what world is there a “super conference” with fucking Rutgers and Illinois and no Stanford? The Furd has more football history in the last 20 years than those two turds do all-time, brings in Bay Area TVs, has more money than any school in that conference by a significant degree and would be the academic giant of the conference (if that matters).

This makes slightly more sense if the Big boots Rutgers and Illinois. What do they have that the Zonas, Utah, and even Cal don’t have? I realize the Mid-Atlantic TV market, but does anyone watch Rutgers? I’ve spent a lot of time in northeast the last 7 - 8 years. Nobody there gives a fuck about college football. And Illinois is hot garbage other than strong (but spotty) academis.
    You are underselling Illinois considerably. Yes the football program hasn’t been good the last 30 years; however do have 5 national championships, 2 of the 10 best college football players of all time (Red Grange and Dick Butkus) and more importantly Chicago. Yes Northwestern is located in the city but IL have significantly more alumni in the city and follow the team way closer than NW. There is a reason, despite the crap football lately, Chicago turns passionate when IL is competitive. They rank middle of the pack in revenues in the conference.

They finally have competent leadership in their AD who has shown a commitment to fielding competitive teams (think the anti Jen).