Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

USC/UCLA sell Pac 12 couch

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

California insisted that USC and ucla play Cal and Stanford every year regardless of division

They go too and that's your 16 teams

I have zero interest in anything after that

Roll Tide and fuck off

They already have 14, so 14+4 is 18.
    OK that sounds like new math to me

Good point though

Still an issue
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

California insisted that USC and ucla play Cal and Stanford every year regardless of division

Roll Tide and fuck off

They already have 14, so 14+4 is 18.
    OK that sounds like new math to me

Good point though

Still an issue
    If money is what matters, why let 16 or 18 the limit? If FOX is driving this to get back at ESPN, I can see them wanting to bring in other Pac-12 or ACC markets.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Oregon fans, sell me on why a conference wants you? Very difficult stadium to get to, no TV market, track record of negative recruiting and going to throw money at kids to overpay recruits that just drives up the cost for everyone.

Obviously Phil can buy them in but all his shit just benefits one program and fucks the others.

I would say the fact that you mentioned Oregon, without a single quook saying word, is enough proof.

But I’m sure you’ll continue to tie yourself into a knot anyway.

Carry on…
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oregon fans, sell me on why a conference wants you? Very difficult stadium to get to, no TV market, track record of negative recruiting and going to throw money at kids to overpay recruits that just drives up the cost for everyone.

Obviously Phil can buy them in but all his shit just benefits one program and fucks the others.

Because Oregon cares about football, spends money, and has a national brand. Was that a serious question, or have you always been one of Haie's alt accounts?
    I'll give you the first one until Phil dies then everything is a question mark. Second one doesn't benefit anyone but them. Having a few incels on Twitter in Florida and signing non-region guys who get dropped by the blues in their region doesn't make you a national brand.

Adding the LA schools opens up a new market for you. Maybe Seattle and the Bay Area does. Oregon does nothing.
    How does a school spending money not help the conference? If Oregon is willing to continuously upgrade and pay for talented players, it only improves them competitively, and helps provide a stronger conference.

Oregon still draws a solid national audience. You can pick or choose Cal or Stanford and get the Bay area. Washington gets you Seattle. Arizona or ASU gets you Phoenix, and Oregon gets you Portland. You can shit on Oregon's market all you want, but it's still larger than Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, and Nebraska.

No brand?

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football-rankings/college-football-brands-ranking-according-to-high-school-recruits#gid=ci029cf7784000247a&pid=9-oregon-ducks
    That FS article says Oregon's a top brand because "Mario Christobol built them into a contender and they have won the Pac 12 twice recently"
    edited June 2022
    “Got off the phone with someone who believes.”

Great work Nicole. Must be nice to steal a paycheck every week.

Which one of you was it, by the way?

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Tremendous. Right as our season ticket renewals crater.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    I was hoping USC, UCLA, Oregon, and UW would join the Big last year.

This is the sort of thing that would make Cohen actually do something.

UW is duty bound to follow USC and UCLA wherever they go, or die trying.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited June 2022

On the national brand issue, I'm sure you know there is no proving or disproving it. It's an opinion. There are schools with brands such that disputing them makes one doing so a crazy guy running naked down I-5, and then there are the debatable schools ... like Oregon ... and Washington.

I'll just say this: back in 2008, Miami signed a much ballyhood recruiting class that was built on the back of getting a bunch of guys from Miami Northwestern's juggernaut senior class. Pretty much all those guys but one - Sean Spence - was a bust, and even he doesn't make Miami's all-time top 20 linebackers list. At that time, Oregon was able to get three of those guys to come out and visit and, reportedly, the Ducks came close to flipping them. As a guy who was then generally familiar with Florida recruiting, I was shocked, and rightfully so. In hindsight, it was something of a watershed event. Today it would not be. I have to say that Oregon football is something people are generally aware of anywhere in the country. That was not the case not that long ago. An elite Florida recruit (I focus on that because it's furthest away) leaving the state for something other than an SEC school or top Big 10 or ND is generally not the norm. That Oregon is even in on a lot of those kids is a clear departure from historical practice.

The other things you listed applies to a bunch of schools in various combinations and sounds more doogish than actual food for thought. But whatever. I don't think any of this is actually going to happen.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,604
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    This is true, but the money they get will fund all their sports at a very high level, so they won't care.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Roll Tide and fuck off

Ucla and USC already make 16, which is why I think the Big10 adds 4 more to make 20

On the national brand issue, I'm sure you know there is no proving or disproving it. It's an opinion. There are schools with brands such that disputing them makes one doing so a crazy guy running naked down I-5, and then there are the debatable schools ... like Oregon ... and Washington.

I'll just say this: back in 2008, Miami signed a much ballyhood recruiting class that was built on the back of getting a bunch of guys from Miami Northwestern's juggernaut senior class. Pretty much all those guys but one - Sean Spence - was a bust, and even he doesn't make Miami's all-time top 20 linebackers list. At that time, Oregon was able to get three of those guys to come out and visit and, reportedly, the Ducks came close to flipping them. As a guy who was then generally familiar with Florida recruiting, I was shocked, and rightfully so. In hindsight, it was something of a watershed event. Today it would not be. I have to say that Oregon football is something people are generally aware of anywhere in the country. That was not the case not that long ago. An elite Florida recruit (I focus on that because it's furthest away) leaving the state for something other than an SEC school or top Big 10 or ND is generally not the norm. That Oregon is even in on a lot of those kids is a clear departure from historical practice.

The other things you listed applies to a bunch of schools in various combinations and sounds more doogish than actual food for thought. But whatever. I don't think any of this is actually going to happen.
    Imagine thinking the BIG would be worried about Oregon coming in and swinging the pendulum on NILs in a league that has tOSU and USC in it.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This is absolutely shocking … not at all