Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Let's talk about Bourbon

Comments

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

On a separate note, the fun of gin is also about the recipe… my favorite hands down (giant array of flavor agents creates complete magic) is the Sonoma based Benhams gin… give this a try, you will never go back to what you were drinking before.

https://benhamsspirits.com/

A neighbor of a buddy in Edmonds made me an incredible Gin & Tonic he learned the recipe for in Northern Spain. Big Giant Ice Balls in a Big Ballsy Glass, Hendrick's Gin, Some plant life, lime and some special tonic I can't remember the name of. I'm sure the recipe resides somewhere on the interwebs, but it didn't taste like any Gin & Tonic I'd ever drank before, and I found it Jolly Refreshing for a guy who doesn't typically do gin & tonics much. If I can find it, I'll post it, but I'm too fucking lazy to chase it down right now.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022
    Here is a cool and quenching cocktail recipe for a gin and sonic [tonic and soda plus spices and lime]

Add juniper berries and some weed that looks like a dandelion or some shit.

I dunno. Them Basque folks are weird.

And also, apparently, my ancestors.

Oh, is this not the non-traditional gin & tonic thread? My bad.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075

Fishpo31 said:

I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...

I do old fashioned without sugar. Big ice cube, bitters, a cherry. I don't go to CrossFit 6 days a week to out sugar in my drink.
    What's the point of going to CrossFit 6 days a week if you can't have a little sugar in the Old Fashioned is the question we should be asking.
    The obvious answer is pres since that tastes best anyways
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,391
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Fishpo31 said:

I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...

I do old fashioned without sugar. Big ice cube, bitters, a cherry. I don't go to CrossFit 6 days a week to out sugar in my drink.
    What's the point of going to CrossFit 6 days a week if you can't have a little sugar in the Old Fashioned is the question we should be asking.
    I think the point is so that he can tell people he goes to crossfit 6 times a week, as crossfitters are wont to do.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

I think the point is so that he can tell people he goes to crossfit 6 times a week, as crossfitters are wont to do.
    I like the old joke:

What's the best way to know if someone does CrossFit?

Talk to them for five seconds.

Swaye said:

Note to self: When you start a bourbon thread in Yellas house it quickly becomes a Scotch thread. Fags.

Bourbon threads inevitably veer in scotch takes and vice versa. Iron law.
    Mr. Robinson favored Scotch, too.

"Scotch still your drink, Ben?"

"Bourbon."

Mr. Robinson - Clearly not listening - pours Ben a tall Scotch.

Fucking love The Graduate.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Note to self: When you start a bourbon thread in Yellas house it quickly becomes a Scotch thread. Fags.

Bourbon threads inevitably veer in scotch takes and vice versa. Iron law.
    Mr. Robinson favored Scotch, too.

"Scotch still your drink, Ben?"

"Bourbon."

Mr. Robinson - Clearly not listening - pours Ben a tall Scotch.

Fucking love The Graduate.
    One of my all time favorite scenes @TurdBomber
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    edited June 2022

I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Always trust in higher proof whiskey. Iron law. Even Williams at 86 proof just doesn't hold together in an old fashioned like 101.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
    Wild turkey is the best.

What's odd to me is it has a connotation of being like hardcore.

So I'll be at a business thing and I'll be like y'all got any wild turkey and everyone around me is like ohhh turkey guy huh.

Like yeah dude it's good.
    edited June 2022
    I just find a lot of it too sweet. After like one I'm like ugh get me something else.

Need the high rye

To preface this I always love the first one. Just can't do the second.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Always trust in higher proof whiskey. Iron law. Even Williams at 86 proof just doesn't hold together in an old fashioned like 101.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
    Wild turkey is the best.

So I'll be at a business thing and I'll be like y'all got any wild turkey and everyone around me is like ohhh turkey guy huh.

It’s great house bourbon. I drank a couple wild Turkeys on the rocks today.

Wild turkey is the best.

That when you started talkin shit
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wild turkey is the best.

Wild Turkey takes my shit poasting / shit talking game to the next level.

Wild turkey is the best.

Wild turkey is the best.

Wild Turkey takes my shit poasting / shit talking game to the next level.
    The turk takes no prisoners

Can't beat the kicken chicken
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    I like sherry cask bourbons. Rabbit Hole has a nice profile. Makers has some reserve editions that are quite enjoyable as well.

As for general bourbon, I have 2 groups: mass consumption, for which Jim Beam can’t be beat (jack tastes like bananas to me), and classy, which includes the sherry’s and Joseph magnus, which I highly recommend.

Special occasions I break out the Blantons collection…regular, gold, black and green. Always a hit.

And a tip to getting hard to get bottles (blantons, clase Azul tequila, anything not pappy) is find a bar owner willing to sell on the side. Usually it’s an extra 50 bucks over retail.

I like sherry cask bourbons. Rabbit Hole has a nice profile. Makers has some reserve editions that are quite enjoyable as well.

As for general bourbon, I have 2 groups: mass consumption, for which Jim Beam can’t be beat (jack tastes like bananas to me), and classy, which includes the sherry’s and Joseph magnus, which I highly recommend.

Special occasions I break out the Blantons collection…regular, gold, black and green. Always a hit.

And a tip to getting hard to get bottles (blantons, clase Azul tequila, anything not pappy) is find a bar owner willing to sell on the side. Usually it’s an extra 50 bucks over retail.

You sound like a vagina. I feel like your next step is white claw
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel the other day. Pretty damn tasty.

Pretty much any "popular on the internet" bourbon (Eagle Rare, Blanton's, etc ) is super hard to find right now. Even fucking regular old Bufalo Trace is becoming somewhat scarce.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel the other day. Pretty damn tasty.

Pretty much any "popular on the internet" bourbon (Eagle Rare, Blanton's, etc ) is super hard to find right now. Even fucking regular old Bufalo Trace is becoming somewhat scarce.

It’s decent stuff.