Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pete may have sold couch at a loss

2»

Comments

• QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,059
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

haie said:

Pete came to Washington to break through that G5 ceiling and show the nation that his methods worked and were the best in CFB.

Getting UW to the playoffs is an accomplishment few schools can claim, especially considering how we haven't done anything since 2000.

Once Pete saw what Alabama was like, he tried to elevate his game (esp recruiting) and that's what caused his burn out.

Going into 2019, he knew he was done.

After Alabama he went about it all wrong. Closed a bunch of soft players that Oregon and SC eat up 24/7.
    The Pac-12 in the past 20 years has had a really hard time maintain long-term toughness. Even the Pete Carroll USC teams were oddly much scarier when they had lesser recruits. Oregon and Stanford in the 2010s were similar to Pete's UW teams where oddly they got worse even when they were supposedly leveling up in recruiting.
    So we’re kicking Oregon’s ass this year?

Cook it👌👌
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Drive for Amazon then pop off about burn out

Nobody feels sorry for millionaires. They can afford to quit

In hindsight, Pete's epic 3 game run from the 2019 Rose Bowl to Eastern WA and Cal in 2019 broke me as Husky fan. Covid, NIL, portal just kicked in the door and finished the jerb.

The Rose Bowl was emotionally draining as hell I thought we had a chance (emotions not experienced in Atlanta). Then watching EWU re-run at @UW_Doog_Bot 's house eating bacon wrapped dogs, I'm declaring that Big Dick Eason is gonna ass fuck the Pac and win the Heisman. Finally CAL proved that God hates UW football and Thor rained down lightning on Husky Stadium.
    #repthenorth was the final nail in the coffin for me.

It let me know that upper campus had won and Husky Football was indeed 6ft under Montlake as intended.

Fight On!
    Upper Campus has killed Husky Football numerous times. Nothing's changed with us. But we were always one great coaching hire away from overcoming this handicap. Rick and Pete were close, but no cigar.

Alas, there's no way UW has the upper campus to win big in NIL era football. It's over.
  • doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The OKG stuff was pretty interesting (the rest of that convo was just life coach stuff that's whatever). Hearing him explain the system is pretty convincing, but he clearly heard all the criticism of his approach lol.

Was not prepared for him to praise Sark tho. Yikes.

All that said - love Pete. He made us relevant again, if only for a minute.
  • StateChampWereUStateChampWereU Member Posts: 39
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    I loved parts of the Petersen era. We lost our 3rd child to a miscarriage the night before 70-21. Watching that game was pure joy.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I dont need to sympathize to understand why a millionaire coach would get burned out. That job is a pressure cooker. If you aren't married to it, sleeping in the office, and completely ditching any semblance of a normal family life then you're falling miles behind the guys who are willing.

Recruiting was probably the final blow though. I'm sure there are underdeveloped adults out there who enjoy it, but most don't nor should they. Yes, petersen and others get paid plenty, but staying motivated for all that shit when you already have millions in the bank has to be tough for most grown men.

I'm still on board with the "fuck him" sentiment though.