Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Let's talk about Bourbon

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...

I do old fashioned without sugar. Big ice cube, bitters, a cherry. I don't go to CrossFit 6 days a week to out sugar in my drink.
    What's the point of going to CrossFit 6 days a week if you can't have a little sugar in the Old Fashioned is the question we should be asking.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Just thinking about Scotch is making me grimace. A friend left a bottle of Dewer's at my E WA place and I did drink it, eventually, mixing it with anything I had, even just water. But again, I just can't drink Scotch straight, or I'm pretty sure I'll die.

Scotch doesn't make me want to die, but it is still strong. The one I liked the best (small sample size but still) is when @PurpleBaze sent me a bottle of Arran 10. That was good stuff. Still put a big fat fucking ice cube in it but I liked it a bunch and didn't feel like I was getting throat punched. There were a few other Scotch brands that had a bunch of promise, but ultimately, like you, I just think I'm probably not a Scotch guy.

I have been a rum guy for 30 years (rum sodomy and the lash!), and my whiskey guides and others have correctly pointed out that the sweetness of bourbon is an easy transition for my taste buds after so many gallons of rum. I just dig bourbon. Especially wheated bourbons. I think I'm hooked.
    Highland Scotch is my favorite region. Great balance with peat and finish. My favorites from this region are Glendronach 12, 15 and 18 and Oban 14 and 18. I toured the Glendronach distillery while on a trip in Scotland. It was pretty cool! For those that might not know, a glen is a valley and the word after glen is the name of the Valley where the water came from. So, Glendronach whisky is made from water from the dronach valley. Cool little fact.

I always drink mine neat, because ice over a short time completely dilutes your whisky. A fun trick, if you try a whisky and think it’s too strong, literally swirl a single drop or two of water into your pour, and you’ll notice a world of difference. A single drop of water swirled into your drink can make a subtle but noticeable change. Once you notice that, you’ll realize why people find it blasphemy to put an ice cube in your scotch.
    There should be no mutual exclusivity between a love of scotch and bourbon. I buy way more bourbon than I do scotch thought because (a) I'm a pour and bourbon is still a far better value and (b) it's more versatile for cocktails. But I'd rather drink Lagavulin 16 neat over pretty much any sub $100 bourbon neat.

Oh and you guys are all fags with your Speysides and Highlands. Me and @PurpleBaze are like a little Islay peat to go with the hair on our balls.
    Can confirm. Much ball hair.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I had explored scotch many years ago, with the standard blends (Dewars, Cutty, Red..etc), but upon my first visit to the inlaws, became immersed in a gigantic vat of Glenlivet, courtesy of the FIL. At the wife's Christmas party, her boss asked if I liked scotch, and began pouring Lagavulin 16 down my throat...pretty rough. I still could taste it 3 days later.

At our housewarming party, a buddy got me a bottle of Laphroaig 10. As we opened it, another buddy asked if I had any Guiness. We used that as a back, and it smoothed it out really well. I like the peat and smoke, but it's not an every day thing for me, hence house bourbon...

I also was the recipient of "Son-In_Law Scotch", as my FIL drank NOTHING but Glenlivet 12, and every year on his bday (just before Christmas), there would be a couple dozen bottle bags under the tree for him, from friends / associates. He would go through them and every bottle that wasn't Glen12 was put in the SIL Scotch pile...didn't matter the price or pedigree, he was a Glen12 man...CSB

I just remembered a story...at my wedding, the reception was at the inlaws house. They entertained a lot, and had a full bar /tender. The party booze was cheap, while he drank the good stuff. My uncle went up to him and said, "So, Raoul tells me you're a scotch man". FIL says yeah, what do you like?" and Unc dropped "Cutty"..."Oh, let me give you one of these", and drank Glenlivet the rest of the night. We have laughed about that for years, with all involved parties...
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not a booze guy at all. Strictly beer. I had a couple of near-death experience in the college days, and now just the smell of booze makes my face do the cop twitch from Dumb and Dumber...

That being said, I'm at a friend's going away party, and another guy busts out a bottle of scotch that he got while touring Scotland. He bought it specifically because it was something you couldn't get here. I told him a shot would be wasted on me, but he insisted, so I gave it a try. Holy shit, I could have drank a pint of that stuff. Ridiculously smooth. It was Mortlach 21:

I have been unable to find a source stateside for less than $700 per bottle, so that's right out.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2022

Swaye said:

Just thinking about Scotch is making me grimace. A friend left a bottle of Dewer's at my E WA place and I did drink it, eventually, mixing it with anything I had, even just water. But again, I just can't drink Scotch straight, or I'm pretty sure I'll die.

Scotch doesn't make me want to die, but it is still strong. The one I liked the best (small sample size but still) is when @PurpleBaze sent me a bottle of Arran 10. That was good stuff. Still put a big fat fucking ice cube in it but I liked it a bunch and didn't feel like I was getting throat punched. There were a few other Scotch brands that had a bunch of promise, but ultimately, like you, I just think I'm probably not a Scotch guy.

I have been a rum guy for 30 years (rum sodomy and the lash!), and my whiskey guides and others have correctly pointed out that the sweetness of bourbon is an easy transition for my taste buds after so many gallons of rum. I just dig bourbon. Especially wheated bourbons. I think I'm hooked.
    Highland Scotch is my favorite region. Great balance with peat and finish. My favorites from this region are Glendronach 12, 15 and 18 and Oban 14 and 18. I toured the Glendronach distillery while on a trip in Scotland. It was pretty cool! For those that might not know, a glen is a valley and the word after glen is the name of the Valley where the water came from. So, Glendronach whisky is made from water from the dronach valley. Cool little fact.

I always drink mine neat, because ice over a short time completely dilutes your whisky. A fun trick, if you try a whisky and think it’s too strong, literally swirl a single drop or two of water into your pour, and you’ll notice a world of difference. A single drop of water swirled into your drink can make a subtle but noticeable change. Once you notice that, you’ll realize why people find it blasphemy to put an ice cube in your scotch.
    There should be no mutual exclusivity between a love of scotch and bourbon. I buy way more bourbon than I do scotch thought because (a) I'm a pour and bourbon is still a far better value and (b) it's more versatile for cocktails. But I'd rather drink Lagavulin 16 neat over pretty much any sub $100 bourbon neat.

Oh and you guys are all fags with your Speysides and Highlands. Me and @PurpleBaze are like a little Islay peat to go with the hair on our balls.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my Ardbeg. I love Islay scotch, but it's more meant to be sipped alone with a cigar as more of a night cap. Highland scotches are more suited for when you're with a group, and you're eating popcorn, peanuts, chips, etc. Food doesn't compliment Islay scotch very well.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Don't get me wrong, I like my Ardbeg. I love Islay scotch, but it's more meant to be sipped alone with a cigar as more of a night cap. Highland scotches are more suited for when you're with a group, and you're eating popcorn, peanuts, chips, etc. Food doesn't compliment Islay scotch very well.
    I can agree with this. Highland Park is a good all arounder that I enjoy.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022
    Swaye said:

Funny that Rum is often considered to be rot-gut whiskey for the pours (like me). I've always liked it with almost any kind of fruit juice and fucking lived on it in the West Indies. Cruzan, btw, is underrated.

But a Spanish-speaking white guy friend of mine with a hispanic wife turned me onto this Flor De Cana stuff a couple of years ago, and it's outstanding straight.

Bourbon is for girls. Rye or die bitches

Got good & drunk on the Bullet Rye. Cannot remember a goddamn thing about it, but it must've been good, cause I kept drinking it around the campfire til the wee hours of the morning and didn't feel like shit the next day.

Buffalo Trace is another surprisingly smooth and easy to drink bourbon. Goes down very easy and very, very good bang for the buck.

I must be allergic to Scotch of all types, although I'm 1/4 Scotch by blood. Always tastes like Turpentine that wants to kill me after it torches my taste buds and throat. McCallans (sp) is supposed to be really good, but I couldn't finish a 3 finger pour. Too fucking harsh. Literally painful to drink.
    I’m the opposite. Love scotch and only tolerate bourbon. I only got into drinking scotch because we bought a bottle of Mcallan 12 for our wedding and no one drank any. I brought it home and figured I’d develop a scotch habit.
    I did the same with Turpentine.
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022

Swaye said:

Funny that Rum is often considered to be rot-gut whiskey for the pours (like me). I've always liked it with almost any kind of fruit juice and fucking lived on it in the West Indies. Cruzan, btw, is underrated.

But a Spanish-speaking white guy friend of mine with a hispanic wife turned me onto this Flor De Cana stuff a couple of years ago, and it's outstanding straight.

Rum is my jam. I've had all of it, from every maker. FDC is a staple for me (just polished off a bottle of 12 year) but Zacapa really is my shit. Love it. The XO stuff is sublime, and the 23 year was made for sipping. Nectar of the Gods type shit.

@PurpleBaze just treated me to some rare Opthimus rum that is 25 year aged and finished in malt whiskey barrels. It's expensive, and I haven't tried it yet, but I am very much looking forward to it.

https://rumratings.com/rum/1850-opthimus-25-year-malt-whiskey-finish
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...

I do old fashioned without sugar. Big ice cube, bitters, a cherry. I don't go to CrossFit 6 days a week to out sugar in my drink.
    What's the point of going to CrossFit 6 days a week if you can't have a little sugar in the Old Fashioned is the question we should be asking.
    I want to be able to RX the WODs. Sugar messes up my game.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2022
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Rum is my jam. I've had all of it, from every maker. FDC is a staple for me (just polished off a bottle of 12 year) but Zacapa really is my shit. Love it. The XO stuff is sublime, and the 23 year was made for sipping. Nectar of the Gods type shit.

@PurpleBaze just treated me to some rare Opthimus rum that is 25 year aged and finished in malt whiskey barrels. It's expensive, and I haven't tried it yet, but I am very much looking forward to it.

I'm not sure a fruity umbrella drink rum guy should be calling out scotch @YellowSnow as a fag, you know?
    Swaye said:

Note to self: When you start a bourbon thread in Yellas house it quickly becomes a Scotch thread. Fags.

Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I'm not sure a fruity umbrella drink rum guy should be calling out scotch @YellowSnow as a fag, you know?
    Swaye said:

Note to self: When you start a bourbon thread in Yellas house it quickly becomes a Scotch thread. Fags.

I've never shied away from my gayness, but I don't do fruity rum drinks like a sissy. It's either Cuba Libre with a stogie, or straight up like God intended for all queer Sailors.

Swaye said:

Bourbon threads inevitably veer in scotch takes and vice versa. Iron law.
    What's ever criminal about discussing firewater?
    edited June 2022
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

If they sell it at Total Wine or Bevmo, it's going into my liquor cabinet, toot-sweet.
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022
    I’m a bourbon guy and regularly drink the moderately priced knob creek 100 proof which to my palate strikes the right balance… very similar to Elmer Lee and Four Roses which are at about the same price point.

Not surprisingly, the Mash Recipe determines the flavor and so it’s helpful to view the following bourbon / whiskey mash recipe chart which details the known brands….

https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-whiskey-mash-bills/

The proof really does make a major flavor difference and like others have said, Basel Haden is therefore less of an ideal choice at 80 proof especially at the price point unless you drink it neat.

And of course stirred not shaken for a Manhattan is a big difference in flavor.

The fun I’ve had being the bartender at large gala parties led me into the Japanese Whiskey exploration which are worth the Smokey Whiskey taste adventure… they are popular globally and the supply shortage has made the price points hugely variable so buying when the price is right makes a huge difference

I used to go to the coolest Japanese sushi bar in Oakland where they also had an all you could drink selection of saki which they served exclusively in the im way too fucking high separate corner room saki bar, and always looked forward to the Tokyo Manhattan which I routinely drank with the sushi

So give it a try… I think you may enjoy the experience…
  • TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    On a separate note, the fun of gin is also about the recipe… my favorite hands down (giant array of flavor agents creates complete magic) is the Sonoma based Benhams gin… give this a try, you will never go back to what you were drinking before.

https://benhamsspirits.com/