Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Let's talk about Bourbon

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Always trust in higher proof whiskey. Iron law.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
    I like wild turkey but at 101 I get way too fucked up for it to be a house bourbon. EW is a great everyday drinker.
    I also forgot to add that all REAL house bourbon in one’s residence needs to be stored in a proper carafe.
    edited June 2022

I’m in my bourbon phase. And I’ve tasted and drank many from all over and many price points. After all that, I’ve settled on Evan Williams as my everyday house bourbon. Way underrated and over looked. In a different bottle this would be 3 times the price.

It's probably underrated, but still Wild Turkey 101 is easily the most underrated value bourbon there is.

Watered down whiskey regardless of price point sucks. Hence, why Basil Hayden (80 proof is for fags).
    I like wild turkey but at 101 I get way too fucked up for it to be a house bourbon. EW is a great everyday drinker.
    I also forgot to add that all REAL house bourbon in one’s residence needs to be stored in a proper carafe.
    Ahh, the decanter, just like on the soap operas, or any rich-people show from the 70's/80's. We have one, but it stores Mrs. Fish's brandy...

EDIT: She came from money...
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2022

Bourbon is for girls. Rye or die bitches

Got good & drunk on the Bullet Rye. Cannot remember a goddamn thing about it, but it must've been good, cause I kept drinking it around the campfire til the wee hours of the morning and didn't feel like shit the next day.

Buffalo Trace is another surprisingly smooth and easy to drink bourbon. Goes down very easy and very, very good bang for the buck.

I must be allergic to Scotch of all types, although I'm 1/4 Scotch by blood. Always tastes like Turpentine that wants to kill me after it torches my taste buds and throat. McCallans (sp) is supposed to be really good, but I couldn't finish a 3 finger pour. Too fucking harsh. Literally painful to drink.
    Fishpo31 said:

Ahh, the decanter, just like on the soap operas, or any rich-people show from the 70's/80's. We have one, but it stores Mrs. Fish's brandy...

Just inherited 3 sweet decanters from my in-laws when they sold the family home. Looking forward to acting out my JR Ewing and Blake Carrington fantasies soon.

So fucking 80s. Perfect.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

Just inherited 3 sweet decanters from my in-laws when they sold the family home. Looking forward to acting out my JR Ewing and Blake Carrington fantasies soon.

So fucking 80s. Perfect.
    And always have a bucket of ice perpetually at the ready.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I like my bourbon like I like my women...neat. Never had an Old Fashioned or a Manhattan...the blood of bootleggers runs in my veins...

I do old fashioned without sugar. Big ice cube, bitters, a cherry. I don't go to CrossFit 6 days a week to out sugar in my drink.

Bourbon is for girls. Rye or die bitches

Got good & drunk on the Bullet Rye. Cannot remember a goddamn thing about it, but it must've been good, cause I kept drinking it around the campfire til the wee hours of the morning and didn't feel like shit the next day.

Buffalo Trace is another surprisingly smooth and easy to drink bourbon. Goes down very easy and very, very good bang for the buck.

I must be allergic to Scotch of all types, although I'm 1/4 Scotch by blood. Always tastes like Turpentine that wants to kill me after it torches my taste buds and throat. McCallans (sp) is supposed to be really good, but I couldn't finish a 3 finger pour. Too fucking harsh. Literally painful to drink.
    I got dragged, kicking and screaming, into the world of scotch by my father-in-law. It took me a good two years to "acquire the taste", but it is do-able. If you're interested, I've had several Speyside scotches that, for me are similar to ryes, taste-wise. If you're starting with heavy peat, it is almost impossible to get it dialed in...
    Just thinking about Scotch is making me grimace. A friend left a bottle of Dewer's at my E WA place and I did drink it, eventually, mixing it with anything I had, even just water. But again, I just can't drink Scotch straight, or I'm pretty sure I'll die.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Just thinking about Scotch is making me grimace. A friend left a bottle of Dewer's at my E WA place and I did drink it, eventually, mixing it with anything I had, even just water. But again, I just can't drink Scotch straight, or I'm pretty sure I'll die.

Scotch doesn't make me want to die, but it is still strong. The one I liked the best (small sample size but still) is when @PurpleBaze sent me a bottle of Arran 10. That was good stuff. Still put a big fat fucking ice cube in it but I liked it a bunch and didn't feel like I was getting throat punched. There were a few other Scotch brands that had a bunch of promise, but ultimately, like you, I just think I'm probably not a Scotch guy.

I have been a rum guy for 30 years (rum sodomy and the lash!), and my whiskey guides and others have correctly pointed out that the sweetness of bourbon is an easy transition for my taste buds after so many gallons of rum. I just dig bourbon. Especially wheated bourbons. I think I'm hooked.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Scotch doesn't make me want to die, but it is still strong. The one I liked the best (small sample size but still) is when @PurpleBaze sent me a bottle of Arran 10. That was good stuff. Still put a big fat fucking ice cube in it but I liked it a bunch and didn't feel like I was getting throat punched. There were a few other Scotch brands that had a bunch of promise, but ultimately, like you, I just think I'm probably not a Scotch guy.

I have been a rum guy for 30 years (rum sodomy and the lash!), and my whiskey guides and others have correctly pointed out that the sweetness of bourbon is an easy transition for my taste buds after so many gallons of rum. I just dig bourbon. Especially wheated bourbons. I think I'm hooked.
    Highland Scotch is my favorite region. Great balance with peat and finish. My favorites from this region are Glendronach 12, 15 and 18 and Oban 14 and 18. I toured the Glendronach distillery while on a trip in Scotland. It was pretty cool! For those that might not know, a glen is a valley and the word after glen is the name of the Valley where the water came from. So, Glendronach whisky is made from water from the dronach valley. Cool little fact.

I always drink mine neat, because ice over a short time completely dilutes your whisky. A fun trick, if you try a whisky and think it’s too strong, literally swirl a single drop or two of water into your pour, and you’ll notice a world of difference. A single drop of water swirled into your drink can make a subtle but noticeable change. Once you notice that, you’ll realize why people find it blasphemy to put an ice cube in your scotch.
    Yeah I know the ice is blaspheme but with Scotch I just need it. Overpowering to me otherwise. I did break down and get the rubber ice tray that makes the huge 2 1/2 inch ice balls which I notice barely even change at all by the time I'm done. Wheated bourbons require no ice at all, and lately I haven't even been doing the drops of water thing anymore. I am finally developing enough of a taste for it. It's been fun exploring whiskey the last couple of years. Basically it was my Covid project.
    Founders Club
    Scotch note. Was drinking with a neighbor the weekend before last (big Scotch guy) and he said just hang out a couple years with Bourbon and when you have completely normalized bourbon then move onto Scotch. Basically, it's a process (Peterman lulz).
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650

Swaye said:

Highland Scotch is my favorite region. Great balance with peat and finish. My favorites from this region are Glendronach 12, 15 and 18 and Oban 14 and 18. I toured the Glendronach distillery while on a trip in Scotland. It was pretty cool! For those that might not know, a glen is a valley and the word after glen is the name of the Valley where the water came from. So, Glendronach whisky is made from water from the dronach valley. Cool little fact.

I always drink mine neat, because ice over a short time completely dilutes your whisky. A fun trick, if you try a whisky and think it’s too strong, literally swirl a single drop or two of water into your pour, and you’ll notice a world of difference. A single drop of water swirled into your drink can make a subtle but noticeable change. Once you notice that, you’ll realize why people find it blasphemy to put an ice cube in your scotch.
    That's how they do it in Edinburgh. Spent about five days there and knocked back way too many flights of Scotch Whisky. Samplers up the Wazzu (War hot daddy issue coeds). The locals flip you shit for using the dropper of water but some of that stuff is like drinking burning charcoal briquettes. It does help.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Founders Club

JFC…why is everything cool so fucking hard to buy these days?

https://www.leoweekly.com/2021/09/wheres-the-bourbon-shortage-shows-no-signs-of-slowing-down/

Watches. Special cigars. Good bourbons. Sports cars. You can't just go buy anything super cool anymore at retail. Always from a reseller at triple the price. Gay.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://www.leoweekly.com/2021/09/wheres-the-bourbon-shortage-shows-no-signs-of-slowing-down/

I have some thoughts
    Founders Club

Great article btw.