Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How are you cooking your steak these days?

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,592
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

spuden said:

I’m pro reverse sear, similar to your bring it up to 100 and then get grill roaring hot and sear each side until temp is 118-120. Wife and I like rare to medium rare steak. However, I now do it sous vide for 2-2.5 hours at 123 in a vacuum sealed bag, then sear on grill or cast iron.

I prefer charcoal grill (Weber kettle is what I use) as it gives a preferable flavor and doesn’t turn on my smoke alarm when it’s too hot to open windows. It also is important to make sure you have a nice marbled steak. Also, a relatively inexpensive cut is skirt or flap steak. Don’t usually need to sous vide those, can just throw on hot grill and cook until about 115-120 in center. Highly recommend a Thermapen to get accurate reading.

I understood none of this. I can only afford hamburger helper.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If ember my reverse sear phase.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,744
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’m also a fan of au poivre sauce, peppercorn cognac cream sauce.

https://recipesncookingtips.blogspot.com/2012/03/mortons-steakhouse-peppercorn-sauce-au.html?m=1

I need to up my au poivre sauce game.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,530
    I am usually too hungry to wait on a reverse sear so I just sear then plop it in the oven to finish off
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,275
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I am usually too hungry to wait on a reverse sear so I just sear then plop it in the oven to finish off

I must be even more impatient, as I just sear and then eat.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Get the oven ready first. 500 degrees. While heating, season the steaks and start the stove. Sear on high. Plop I’m oven for 5 min. Perfect medium rare almost every time. I did it today but am not gay enough to post a pic. I am gay, just not that gay.

The steaks are too tough with just a sear.
    @RoadDawg55 .... with all due respeck, this is the wrong way entirely. This gets you too much gray on the edges, even if the center is medium rare.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,305
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Nothing beats the Weber for flavor, IMO. Also super versatile, probably more so than people think.

Reverse sear and regular sear then indirect taste the same to me. Internal temperature depends on the cut as a ribeye at 120 is still too fatty and chewy versus 125 - 130. Frankly, rib and tritip roasts are by far better value versus individual steaks.

Turn the steaks often when searing! I will also baste with butter melted indirectly in the smoky grill.

Add a couple chunks of hickory to your grill when grilling beef and the flavor cannot be beat. This is doubly true for burgers.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nothing beats the Weber for flavor, IMO. Also super versatile, probably more so than people think.

Reverse sear and regular sear then indirect taste the same to me. Internal temperature depends on the cut as a ribeye at 120 is still too fatty and chewy versus 125 - 130. Frankly, rib and tritip roasts are by far better value versus individual steaks.

Turn the steaks often when searing! I will also baste with butter melted indirectly in the smoky grill.

Add a couple chunks of hickory to your grill when grilling beef and the flavor cannot be beat. This is doubly true for burgers.

Finally @BleachedAnusDawg and I are aligned 100 percent. It’s a god damned fucking miracle.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Get the oven ready first. 500 degrees. While heating, season the steaks and start the stove. Sear on high. Plop I’m oven for 5 min. Perfect medium rare almost every time. I did it today but am not gay enough to post a pic. I am gay, just not that gay.

The steaks are too tough with just a sear.
    @RoadDawg55 .... with all due respeck, this is the wrong way entirely. This gets you too much gray on the edges, even if the center is medium rare.
    I’ll take a pic next time. They are great Yella. Not grey at all. Someone shared a grey steak is this thread. Mine are nothing like that.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,089
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Reverse sear is good when you’re cooking for a lot of people

Y’all sound like loosers without friends
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,275
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Medium rare is overcooked. You want to almost be able to hear the steak moo.

CSB tim: The best steaks I've ever had were at nice restaurants. People who cook them every day for a living tend to do a decent job, and using aged cuts, truffle butter, etc. all helps beat anything I've done. But the best steak I've ever cooked came out of nowhere, and I've never been able to top it no matter how many times I tried.

We have two freezers downstairs, and we put a half of a grass-fed cow in one and a whole pig in the other every year. This is great, as there's always an endless supply of better tasting* and better for you meat, but it's inconvenient, as you have to plan a day ahead so you can pull and thaw, and myself and the beard are both terrible at doing that. One morning, I got up for work an hour early for reasons, so I figured I'd kill time by cooking myself a nice lunch for later. I didn't have any meat thawed, so I figured I'd pass up the ribeyes and tenderloins and whatnot and cook up a top sirloin. And since this steak would be defrosted in the microwave prior to cooking, I figured it was going to suck, so I'd cut it into fajita meat and mix with some sauteed peppers and onions.

Ten minutes on defrost in the microwave, straight to the cast iron pan with some butter and salt and pepper and high heat. Windows and doors open and fans blowing to not wake everyone in the house up with the smoke alarm. Sear like a mofo, flip, sear like a mofo, cut into slices for further cooking with the veggies.

But as I started slicing the steak up for stir-frying, I had to have a change of plans, as it was perfect. A couple millimeters of nice sear and then pink to red throughout. No purple or blue, so no worries of fatal diarrhea. "Alright, color's nice, but how does it taste?" Ate one slice to test, then ended up standing at the stove and eating half the steak right there and then instead. Putting that in fajitas would have been a crime. Shittiest cut in the freezer, thawed in the microwave, cooked at 3:45 in the morning, best steak I've eaten in my own house. Something about that particular piece o' beef was magic.

*Buying beef by the side is a mixed bag when it comes to flavor. Feedlot beef is super fatty from all of the grain it's fed. Pasture raised beef is typically better for you, as they're not jammed full of antibiotics, and grass-fed beef is higher in antioxidants and lower in saturated fat. It's also nice to pay about $4.00 per pound in the freezer for tenderloin, New York, tri-tip, etc. On the downside, the flavor is hit or miss. You can have the farmer grain-finish the cow by feeding it grain for the last month, which kind of splits the difference. If you don't do this, the meat can sometimes be gamey, which can be mitigated by soaking in buttermilk. We've had mixed results with leaving off the grain finishing; sometimes it's gamey as hell, other times (like with that steak described above), it's magical. The good thing about leaving out the grain (and therefore the "marbling" that people love) is that--particularly with an already lean cut like a top sirloin or tenderloin--you can cook it really rare without worrying about a lot of rubbery fat being left behind.

Pork, though? I'm thinking I could actually save money by buying bacon and sausage and chops and whatnot at the grocery store vs. buying a whole pig at the fair. Don't care. The pork I eat is better than ANYTHING you're gonna get from the store. It's just so much more flavorful. My general rule of thumb when it comes to carnivorous activities is that I don't eat something unless some 10 year old girl in Lynden gave it a name and cried when it died. This rule has served me well.