Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite National Park you have visited

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Other
    dnc said:

dnc said:

On an epic road trip taking the fam to 23 American NPs in 41 days (plus Banff). Been to four so far. Quick fupdate: Grand Teton and Glacier moving way up my list.

Crater Lake or GTFO
    Wifey wants to drive the Oregon coast so Crater Lake 'tis not on the itinerary.

Parks we've hit so far on the trip (bold = park I've never been to before this trip)
    Rocky Mountain Had to 86 this one because the pass was closed due to heavy snowfall the night before so we whiffed on our first target.
    Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    (Yoho, Glacier and Mt Revelstoke on the TransCanada highway but we didn't do anything but drive through so they don't really count)
    North Cascades

Still to come (bold = park I've never been to before this trip)
    Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Black Canyon of the Gunnison
    Great Sand Dunes
    Bummer brah. It’s more real and spectacular than most on this list.

I see what you’re doing here though going for maximum output in a short period of time. Crater Lake is out of the way based on your route and time schedule to keep.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yellowstone - BRB, Old Faithful

dnc said:

dnc said:

On an epic road trip taking the fam to 23 American NPs in 41 days (plus Banff). Been to four so far. Quick fupdate: Grand Teton and Glacier moving way up my list.

Crater Lake or GTFO

Parks we've hit so far on the trip (bold = park I've never been to before this trip)
    Rocky Mountain Had to 86 this one because the pass was closed due to heavy snowfall the night before so we whiffed on our first target.
    Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    (Yoho, Glacier and Mt Revelstoke on the TransCanada highway but we didn't do anything but drive through so they don't really count)
    North Cascades

Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Great Sand Dunes

I see what you’re doing here though going for maximum output in a short period of time. Crater Lake is out of the way based on your route and time schedule to keep.
    If it were just me we'd be hitting Crater Lake for sure. Only been once and it was super cloudy so I've always wanted to go back. But alas Mrs DNC only requested like 4 things on this whole trip and the Oregon Coast was one of them so we're hitting it instead. And yes, definitely a quantity over quality trip.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022
    Other
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Crater Lake or GTFO

Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    North Cascades

Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Great Sand Dunes

If it were just me we'd be hitting Crater Lake for sure. Only been once and it was super cloudy so I've always wanted to go back. But alas Mrs DNC only requested like 4 things on this whole trip and the Oregon Coast was one of them so we're hitting it instead. And yes, definitely a quantity over quality trip.
    Kind of sad, for how much natural beauty the Ducktards have, we? are shit as fuck for National Parks compared to WA, CA, UT, CO, etc. Just the one with Crater Lake. Only @PurpleThrobber is worse at National Parks than Oregon is with their little c-hair of Yellowstone.
  • StateChampWereUStateChampWereU Member Posts: 39
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Yosemite in April when the waterfalls are gushing and between spring break and summer crowds. It can be chilly, but the scenery is worth it.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Crater Lake or GTFO

Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    North Cascades

Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Great Sand Dunes

Kind of sad, for how much natural beauty the Ducktards have, we? are shit as fuck for National Parks compared to WA, CA, UT, CO, etc. Just the one with Crater Lake. Only @PurpleThrobber is worse at National Parks than Oregon is with their little c-hair of Yellowstone.
    Idaho refuses to be controlled by the Feds.

Take this to the Tug.

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Crater Lake or GTFO

Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    North Cascades

Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Great Sand Dunes

Take this to the Tug.

Idaho has the 3rd highest percentage of federally owned land in the US, behind only Nevada (1st) and Utah (2nd). The armpit sex states couldn't be trusted to control their own lands.
    I tried to slide a right wing curve by.

Idaho is essentially one big National Park.

Nevada is one big mining royalty for the feds.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Other

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Crater Lake or GTFO

Grand Teton
    Yellowstone
    Glacier
    Banff
    North Cascades

Mt Rainier
    Olympic
    Redwood
    Lassen Volcanic
    Yosemite
    Sequoia
    Kings Canyon
    Pinnacles
    Channel Islands
    Joshua Tree
    Death Valley
    Zion

Grand Canyon (north rim)
    Bryce
    Capitol Reef
    Canyonlands

Arches
    Mesa Verde
    Great Sand Dunes

Take this to the Tug.

Idaho has the 3rd highest percentage of federally owned land in the US, behind only Nevada (1st) and Utah (2nd). The armpit sex states couldn't be trusted to control their own lands.
    I tried to slide a right wing curve by.

Idaho is essentially one big National Park.

Nevada is one big mining royalty for the feds.

IFL Idaho and married a potato head (no armpit sex though).

The interior of the state is remarkable wilderness.

Just always baffles me that there's not one National Park.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yosemite - We always loose to Cal
    It's the only one I promote on a T-shirt, so ...
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    National parks are basically white supremacy.

Haven't you seen the articles on black people not going as much as white people?

Haven't you seen the articles on black people not going as much as white people?

Knew hear?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Other

It's mostly Chinese and (dot) Indians at the West Coast National Parks.

@dnc I think you really screwed the pooch by not taking in Crater Lake. Took the fam down there on Sunday as I haven't been since 1989. North Entrance is about 90 mins from my house.

Just fucking stunning as there's no other view like that on Earth.

For my money, the Mt Rushmore of National Park (US) views is Grand Canyon, Crater, Yosemite, and then Rainier. Zion and Bryce are honorable mention.
  • StLouisDawgStLouisDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 486
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Founders Club
    Glacier - Bobby Hauck and Jeff Choate KG
    I grew up in the wilderness between the Cascades and the Rockies. In a log house. Didn’t have a phone until I was 8 and that was a party line.

Yellowstone as a kid felt very urban to me, it had paths. And stores and shit. But Glacier was wild and pristine, true beauty. And as I recall Lewis and Clark caverns were nearby and totally worth the side trip.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mt Rainier - DoogItUp.gif
    Well it's good to know @dnc is still alive.
    I still owe you guys a breakdown of my trip last year. Will try and get on that soon.

Just stumbled across this story. Super cool. #Goals

Alright so the grand 2022 trip report is going to fill up multiple posts but I'll get started with one here. Will probably structure it something like this:

Rocky Mountain parks (Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff)
    WASHINGTON parks, dammit (North Cascades, Rainier, Olympic)
    Cali forest/mountain parks (Redwood, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon)
    Other Cali parks (Pinnacles, Channel Islands, Joshua Tree)
    Canyon parks (Zion, Arches, north rimGrand Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches)
    Colorado parks (Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison)
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mt Rainier - DoogItUp.gif
    We drove past the Grand Tetons like the Griswold family
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,809
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How many people here have been to Spray Falls, Comet Falls, or both? (at MRNP)

I still haven’t voted, but Mt. Rainier is getting close. I have a proximity bias against it, but the more you get to know it, the better it is. I used to rank Olympic higher, but after exploring both, I can share more accessible cool things at Rainier.