Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Best Comedy Film of the 1990s?

2»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,082
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2022

Similar to Borat, I almost passed out from laughing so fucking hard at Dumb and Dumber.

Billy Madison is also up there for me.

I loved Wayne’s World, Austin Powers, and So I Married an Ax Murderer back in the day but I’ve tried rewatching them and Mike Myers version of comedy didn’t age well. ATBS, Ax Muderer still has some great and quotable lines.

I recently watched twenty minutes of Austin Powers. It’s terrible. I loved it as a kid too.
    I watched it during the great kind of lockdown while desperate for content

Agree it didn't age well

Myers was huge in the 90s
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,604
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Big Lebowski

Similar to Borat, I almost passed out from laughing so fucking hard at Dumb and Dumber.

Billy Madison is also up there for me.

I loved Wayne’s World, Austin Powers, and So I Married an Ax Murderer back in the day but I’ve tried rewatching them and Mike Myers version of comedy didn’t age well. ATBS, Ax Muderer still has some great and quotable lines.

I recently watched twenty minutes of Austin Powers. It’s terrible. I loved it as a kid too.
    I watched it during the great kind of lockdown while desperate for content

Agree it didn't age well

Myers was huge in the 90s
    Heather Graham makes #2 watchable.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, You left off....
    Just remembered this one:

This came out that same year and was awesome:

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Dumb and Dumber

Office Space just barely edges out a few of the others. The main characters and the gags were great, but on top of that Diedrich Bader, Gary Cole, and Stephen Root were exceptionally hilarious for supporting roles. Mike Judge was apparently very detail oriented in directing this movie, too, according to some YouTube video I watched. There are no unfunny scenes in this movie.

This scene alone got me
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,569
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Happy Gilmore
    Office space probably stands the test of time better than most
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,569
    edited June 2022
    Happy Gilmore
    I saw Austin powers 2 with a couple kids and our moms were in the row behind us laughing hysterically
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Waterboy

I saw Austin powers 2 with a couple kids and our moms were in the row behind us laughing hysterically

I saw all three Austin Powers movies in the theater and loved every one of them.

They don’t hold up to the classic 90’s Sandler and Jim Carrey movies. Liar Liar is a great and underrated Jim Carrey movie.

Unrelated, but I also watched Something about Mary a few weeks ago and it mostly held up and was funny.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,857
    Standard Supporter
    Office Space

Office Space just barely edges out a few of the others. The main characters and the gags were great, but on top of that Diedrich Bader, Gary Cole, and Stephen Root were exceptionally hilarious for supporting roles. Mike Judge was apparently very detail oriented in directing this movie, too, according to some YouTube video I watched. There are no unfunny scenes in this movie.

This scene alone got me

"Can we just pretend we can't hear each other through wall?"
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Big Lebowski

I saw all three Austin Powers movies in the theater and loved every one of them.

They don’t hold up to the classic 90’s Sandler and Jim Carrey movies. Liar Liar is a great and underrated Jim Carrey movie.

Unrelated, but I also watched Something about Mary a few weeks ago and it mostly held up and was funny.
    I liked the Austin Powers movies fine. I still like the 2nd the best.

Liar Liar is probably my favorite Jim Carrey film.

Disagree on Sandler's movies. There are moments that are as funny as it gets, like when he's beating the shit out of Mevin Nealon on the course. As far as re-watchability from start to finish, his movies don't do it for me. I just want to see the good parts.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,760
    chuck said:

Disagree on Sandler's movies. There are moments that are as funny as it gets, like when he's beating the shit out of Mevin Nealon on the course. As far as re-watchability from start to finish, his movies don't do it for me. I just want to see the good parts.

You guys are fags.

Swaye's Wigwam
    The Big Lebowski

chuck said:

You guys are fags.

Disagree

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,832
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dumb and Dumber

chuck said:

You guys are fags.

Liz won the hottest actress tournament. Don't forget.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,057
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dumb and Dumber

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Waterboy
    chuck said:

90’s Sandler movies are still great to me. The ones from 2000 on are almost all garbage.