Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Top Gun Maverick

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Also, in reviewing this thread, RIP @Doog_de_Jour.

STAY!!!
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

CCP = Fags

Crispened
    Nothing’s changed with the Chinese. They’ve had an Emperor for 5000 years.

Emperors are Fags.
    President Xi just got a call from FRANNY
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Alright, finally drunk enough to bother posting a ]semi-spoiler] review:

1.) What is the difference between IMAX and any other theater viewing? I couldn't tell.

2to2343434weretaken.) Movie was pure cheese, plot was as ludicrous as Logjammin', I laughed out loud at how corny many of the callbacks were.

3.) Fuckin' loved it. 5-stars, would watch again.

The movie opens with a nice rendition of the original score, crossfading right into Highway to the Danger Zone. Two minutes in, and you know what this is all about. The adult side of me was laughing at the cheese, the six-year-old in me was stooooooked. I seriously played Highway to the Danger Zone for the kids on the way to the theater. As a joke. This movie leaned right in.

Tom Cruise' Xenu shit unquestioningly qualifies him as a trash human being, but he can make a fucking movie like none other, to the point where a principled stand just isn't worth it. The practical flying, realistic butthole clenching techniques (the very same that made @Swaye so popular around here), and top shelf production value make this a movie that legitimately had my heart thumping in a worrying way (I post at Hardcore Husky, so I'm definitely in a demographic that's at risk for heart disease) leading into the third act. Which, to me, is the sign of a good movie. I've gotten shit about not liking most mob movies, but it's because I've seen very few that make me actually care about any of the characters. Leading up to the final scenes of TG,M (ILTCIT), though, I was thinking, "Shit, they're going to kill off a few of these fuckers, aren't they?..."

That being said, I can't wait for the Orkin man to see this movie and chime in, as the entire plot seemed laughably silly: "The F-18 Super Hornet is the ideal plane for this mission. Now here's why just about any other modern plane would be better..." There's also a Death Star ventilation shaft angle that somebody's going to have to explain to me. Let alone why the entire mission couldn't be accomplished with a cruise missile or bomb dropped from space or something.

Beyond all of that, there's just a geopolitics problem. Ironically, the new movie has all of this amazing camera work and effects budget and everything modern Hollywood can do, but the old movie is the better one because the plot is believable: Nobody would bat an eye at the idea of naval fighter pilots dogfighting Dirka Dirka Jihadists in 1986, but nowadays it would be insane for the US military to engage in a direct strike on (what was clearly) a Russian puppet state. Hell, we have a recent example of Iran enriching uranium, and not only was it not happening in a Dr. Evil style hollowed out volcano lair, but we went in with diplomacy instead of jets and bombs. Former Soviet nations would be even more sketchy!

Anyway, totally awesome movie (plot and cheesy callbacks be damned), but I'd appreciate these answers from @Swaye after you see it:

1.) Is it absolute bullshit that this would "need" to be done with Navy F-18s instead of, say, satellite-guided bombs from space? If it absolutely had to be done with jets, could they not have just done it with "better" jets if the enemy 5G jets are so superior?
    2.) Don't we(?) have bombs that can blow something up like a half-mile underground? Are your eyes rolling just as hard about the whole "we have to land one direct hit to open the Death Star's ventilation shaft, then another hit to blow it up" bullshit plot angle?
    3.) Have you ever seen a Mig-28 do a 4G negative dive?

Holy shit, I rambled on...

One of my complaints:

I think only @swaye will understand this but the enemy ADA is mapped yet they didn’t do a SEAD mission.
    Bring in the Prowlers bitches!
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Top gun 1 sucked I don't think this would be any better
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    At least maverick didn’t transition into woman and fall in love with a drag queen. Can a guy enjoy some good action and some tension between a man and a woman?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Top gun 1 sucked I don't think this would be any better

The new one is pretty good. Nothing special.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mrs Snow and I are going to catch a matinee this afternoon. Might have some victory coitus afterwards if we? win.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I'll get around to going to see this in a few weeks and then will report in here with a review. I guarantee you there is all kinds of inaccurate shit but I won't care because I am a giant fanboy for afterburners and 'Murica and anyone who isn't is a fag who can name the tim and place to fight me.

It was as expected @Swaye . Cheesy as fuck but great F-18 cinematography.

The crowd was lacking In Antifa bros.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oh and get the fuck outta here with your sailboat scenes pretending the San Francisco Bay is sailing in San Diego. Cheesiest part of the whole fucking dealio.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I'll get around to going to see this in a few weeks and then will report in here with a review. I guarantee you there is all kinds of inaccurate shit but I won't care because I am a giant fanboy for afterburners and 'Murica and anyone who isn't is a fag who can name the tim and place to fight me.

Question for the experts, does the F-18 come in both single seat and double seat versions?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Question for the experts, does the F-18 come in both single seat and double seat versions?
    Yes, it does.
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022

Swaye said:

Yes, it does.
    Yella is correct! Originally it was single seat only with a small group of B models as trainers but now both versions exist for fleet use.
    Founders Club
    edited June 2022
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yes, it does.
    Yella is correct! Originally it was single seat only with a small group of B models as trainers but now both versions exist for fleet use.
    You learn something new every day.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yes, it does.
    You learn something new every day.
    So basically the original F-18 was the A model, and there were B model trainers. Same naming nomenclature passed to the C and D model. C were single seat and D were trainer only. The F-18 as I flew them were fleet use single seat only but with the advent of the "Super Hornet" E/F models now two seaters are used in the fleet. I always flew alone because RIO's are just 180 lbs of luggage with eyeballs and I am kind of a big deal.

Back seaters were really important a generation ago because of air to air encounters (that extra set of eyeballs not doing anything was important) but in modern air warfare it is basically "he with the better radar wins" so A2A is sort of a dying art form. I guess having someone in the back to tell jokes might be okay.
    I think you’re overlooking the fact that a RIO gets to say things “do some cool pilot shit Swaye!”
    You know honestly I wouldn't have minded someone working the radios as well, so maybe a RIO wouldn't be completely worthless.