Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What happened to the screwball?

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Talking about tunneling, here is a good description of it, Alek Manoa, at the 3:13 mark...
    https://youtu.be/kSQHsChfH4Y
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I saw Phil Niekro pitch in the Kingdome in the 1980s
    My first trip to Yankee Stadium in 84, I saw Phil pitch against the Mariners...IIRC, he gave up three hits, and the M's won because 2 of them were upper deck Ken Phelps bombs...
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

My first trip to Yankee Stadium in 84, I saw Phil pitch against the Mariners...IIRC, he gave up three hits, and the M's won because 2 of them were upper deck Ken Phelps bombs...

Believe it or not, I remember that game. I would have been 13. Watching it on KSTW Channel 11.
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Four years later, Yankees send Jay Buhner to Seattle for Phelps..

Fishpo31 said:

Obligatory…
    https://youtu.be/cUwSxqnRW-8
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Has the hitting approach to utilizing launch angle impacted this at all?

Has the hitting approach to utilizing launch angle impacted this at all?

Yes...Pitchers used to be classified as "East-West" (sinker, slider, change up, horizontal movement) or "North-South" (four seam FB, straight, 12/6 curveball), usually dictated by arm slot. Harder throwers were usually north-south guys.

It is now power vs power, max effort every pitch, combined with ridiculous late horizontal and vertical movement of secondary pitches. Everything looks like a FB out of the hand, and off speed pitches are a lot closer velocity-wise to fastballs than they were 10 years ago. Get to two strikes, and elevate the FB...

The "Art" of pitching is becoming extinct...if you can throw it 95+ with spin rate and have a reasonable facsimile of a breaking pitch, you are in the big leagues. If a guy goes 6 innings, gives up 6 hits and a walk, that used to be pretty good...today, it could mean 5 runs on the board, with three or four jacks. Kids don't learn to pitch today (nor do they want to), they train to throw hard. The hitting side of it is another story...

Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Fishpo31 said:

Obligatory…
    https://youtu.be/cUwSxqnRW-8
    absolute genius
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2022

Fishpo31 said:

Believe it or not, I remember that game. I would have been 13. Watching it on KSTW Channel 11.
    Damn. You were born around the time of the Kurt Flood ruling establishing free agency.

In the 60’s, baseball players were at the mercy of the owners. I remember in mid-60’s when Koufax and Drysdale held out to make $100,000 apiece.

Earlier, Jackie Robinson retired after the 1956 season when the Brooklyn Dodgers traded him to the to cross-town rival, the New York Giants.
    Founders Club
    trublue said:

Fishpo31 said:

Damn. You were born around the time of the Kurt Flood ruling establishing free agency.

In the 60’s, baseball players were at the mercy of the owners. I remember in mid-60’s when Koufax and Drysdale held out to make $100,000 apiece.

Earlier, Jackie Robinson retired after the 1956 season when the Brooklyn Dodgers traded him to the to cross-town rival, the New York Giants.
    *Curt

Yes I was born the year after Flood's free agency ruling
    This was on my feed today, as a reminder that hitting is harder than it looks…
    https://youtu.be/LhnwpAyqMrU