Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Dennis Eckersley And Kirk Gibson, 30 Years After World Series Home Run

Comments

• trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Gibson was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 2015. Elected to College Football Hall of Fame in 2017 (All-American at Michigan State). Played one year of college baseball at Michigan State. Drafted by NFL and in MLB draft after college.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    trublue said:

Gibson was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in 2015. Elected to College Football Hall of Fame in 2017 (All-American at Michigan State). Played one year of college baseball at Michigan State. Drafted by NFL and in MLB draft after college.

I didn't know that, but something didn't seem quite right with him during the interview.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    When I was in grad school, there were several football GA's in my classes. I went to a study group session before mid-terms at one of their apartments...I walk in, and look up to see a giant framed photo, poster-size, over the couch. It was of a Michigan State offensive lineman leading a sweep, and there was no mistaking who had the ball. I said something like "Holy shit, that is an awesome picture of Kirk Gibson", and they all started laughing at the resident of the apartment, who looked at me disgustedly and muttered "fucking baseball guys"...muttering guy was the OL in the photo...csb
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2022

trublue said:

I didn't know that, but something didn't seem quite right with him during the interview.
    Gibson was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 2015. Fact. It’s effecting his cognitive functioning in the interview.

The linked interview was made in 2018. Gibson was approximately 60 years old; Eckersley approximately 63 years old at the time.

Gibson played WR at Michigan State. Probably suffered more than a few concussions to boot during his playing days at Michigan State.

When he was with the Dodgers (1988-90), he and his family were followed to their home and were robbed at gunpoint. Remember him recalling how large the gun seemed when pointed at him.