Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are we Recruiting again? Fischer of Men Recruiting Thread - (Thread links)

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Some pretty pathetic recruiting going on for Washington right now. They have absolutely no buzz in Socal and are barely in contention for any four-star recruits. Oh, and the effect people thought Courtney Morgan would have was utterly over-hyped. He's made minimal impact besides getting us some courtesy visits from a few recruits.

Is it primarily because of NIL or do the coaches suck at recruiting?
    Part of it is NIL but a big part is they just don't have the coaches who can recruit.
    No one's getting on all fours and woofing enough?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    Swaye's Wigwam

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

I'm always skeptical of the evaluation metrics thing. It usually seems to be a cop out for simply not being able to win recruiting battles.

I don't see a situation where recruits don't see themselves playing over the guys who got rag dolled in a shit Pac-12 last year, especially with a completely new staff coming in.

My one sliver optimism is I'm very curious to see how the NIL plays out. Will there be an advantage to teams/programs that are more building culture and team with players that actually want to be there opposed to players who just are there because of the money. Unless you're the same Top 5-6 programs that can stack five stars on five stars AND have good coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if the next best teams every year are more teams that want it more instead of the A&Ms and Oregons where guys are going simply for money and weird clout.

It's a cop out for some staffs, like Colorado. For Petersen's staff it was not. For Leech's staff it was not. For this staff, who finished 2nd/3rd in the MW but had bottom half recruits on paper in that league, it was not.

If there's an established starter on a bad team, I don't think recruits think they are just going to supplant them. Some lt recruit isn't going to think, "Yeah I should be able to come to Washington and take Kirkland's spot because his OL was shit last year."

It's definitely situational, and this roster is pretty backed up. 2021 and 2022 were supposed to be the years we would have a lot of success because of numbers.

A lot of programs have already shown that you need a roster that gives a shit, and that will overcome a roster full of mercs that don't care about what school they are at.
    Things delusional people say.
    We'll see how bitch boy does this season when his GameDay tasks become more than getting the post game kegs for the staff.
    MWC tuff.
    You've never beaten Boise State yet you say shit like this.

Quook!
    You lost to MT, STFU idiot.
    We have beaten Montana by 40+ in the last 5 years.

You have never, ever beaten Boise State.

Unsurprising you can't process anything anyone says here.
    BSU plays big boy football. You lost to JV league team. Process that! Lol.
    Even Sark plundered Boise State. The Montana loss is a stain but life wouldn’t be better if we squeaked that one out. Jimmy would have still been the same shitty coach.
    If Peterson were half as smart as he's given credit for he would have taken his foot off the gas to keep Sling Blade around, much like Kelly did with Sark each year. I'll always thank him for not doing the smart thing.
    Putting only 70 on your team was taking his foot off the gas.

That team could have hung 105 on those quacks.
    They still had the entire rest of the season to go.

Pete took his foot off the gas when he made shitty in game decisions, recruited soft players to appease the boosters, and then refused to fix his mess in 2019.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

I'm always skeptical of the evaluation metrics thing. It usually seems to be a cop out for simply not being able to win recruiting battles.

I don't see a situation where recruits don't see themselves playing over the guys who got rag dolled in a shit Pac-12 last year, especially with a completely new staff coming in.

My one sliver optimism is I'm very curious to see how the NIL plays out. Will there be an advantage to teams/programs that are more building culture and team with players that actually want to be there opposed to players who just are there because of the money. Unless you're the same Top 5-6 programs that can stack five stars on five stars AND have good coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if the next best teams every year are more teams that want it more instead of the A&Ms and Oregons where guys are going simply for money and weird clout.

It's a cop out for some staffs, like Colorado. For Petersen's staff it was not. For Leech's staff it was not. For this staff, who finished 2nd/3rd in the MW but had bottom half recruits on paper in that league, it was not.

If there's an established starter on a bad team, I don't think recruits think they are just going to supplant them. Some lt recruit isn't going to think, "Yeah I should be able to come to Washington and take Kirkland's spot because his OL was shit last year."

It's definitely situational, and this roster is pretty backed up. 2021 and 2022 were supposed to be the years we would have a lot of success because of numbers.

A lot of programs have already shown that you need a roster that gives a shit, and that will overcome a roster full of mercs that don't care about what school they are at.
    We'll see how bitch boy does this season when his GameDay tasks become more than getting the post game kegs for the staff.
    MWC tuff.

Quook!

Even Sark plundered Boise State. The Montana loss is a stain but life wouldn’t be better if we squeaked that one out. Jimmy would have still been the same shitty coach.
    If Peterson were half as smart as he's given credit for he would have taken his foot off the gas to keep Sling Blade around, much like Kelly did with Sark each year. I'll always thank him for not doing the smart thing.
    Putting only 70 on your team was taking his foot off the gas.

That team could have hung 105 on those quacks.
    OK!
  • dOgmasterdOgmaster Member Posts: 560
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

MWC tuff.

Quook!

If I recall correctly, CP didn't keep his foot on the gas as much as Oregon rolled over. Would it have made as much of a difference anyway if UW had scored 60 or 63 points instead of 70?

But back UW Football, besides our Lord and Savior Pat Haden, maybe we(?) I formally propose adding Bobby Hauck to the pantheon of greatness for kicking off (or at least accelerating) the beginning of the end for Lake.
    Up 5 touchdowns, 56-21 in the 4th qtr, Browning was still slingin’ the rock, driving uw to score a td, going up 63-21. Browning was still in the game for the next scoring drive. So was John Ross, and the rest of the starters.

How the fuck is that taking your foot off the gas?
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dOgmaster said:

HFNY said:

46XiJCAB said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

MWC tuff.

Quook!

If I recall correctly, CP didn't keep his foot on the gas as much as Oregon rolled over. Would it have made as much of a difference anyway if UW had scored 60 or 63 points instead of 70?

But back UW Football, besides our Lord and Savior Pat Haden, maybe we(?) I formally propose adding Bobby Hauck to the pantheon of greatness for kicking off (or at least accelerating) the beginning of the end for Lake.
    Up 5 touchdowns, 56-21 in the 4th qtr, Browning was still slingin’ the rock, driving uw to score a td, going up 63-21. Browning was still in the game for the next scoring drive. So was John Ross, and the rest of the starters.

How the fuck is that taking your foot off the gas?
    There were times Kelly could have scored 100 on Sark but he actually liked the guy so it was run, run, run, punt. Pete didn't do that. His ass was too chapped.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,484
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

thechatch said:

@haie i really feel like you should come down for a game at Autzen. If you can make the drive to Aurora, we’ll fly you down and let you sit up in the box with us, and you can tell everyone there all about how inferior they are while you drink vodka sodes on us. We usually have a couple customers in tow, so you’ll need to try and hold it mostly together. After all, they buy a lot of vacuum cleaners from us.

xoxo

Imagine getting to this point. "the box" of that tiny little stadium. lol, must be impressive to your vacuum distributors.

I'd do a rafting trip down the McKenzie river with you guys but that's about it.
    Hey it’s gotta be better than sitting in the Montlake rain, watching the huskies lose again. Tell us one more time about sitting next to the Conerlys at Husky Stadium….don’t think that’s gonna happen again anytime soon.

The invitation is there, @haie

Come spend some time with your lessers.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Some pretty pathetic recruiting going on for Washington right now. They have absolutely no buzz in Socal and are barely in contention for any four-star recruits. Oh, and the effect people thought Courtney Morgan would have was utterly over-hyped. He's made minimal impact besides getting us some courtesy visits from a few recruits.

Deboer and his staff are doing everything the right way when you are trying to build a program and get recruits. But when I see them throw out offers all across America, plus watching what is going on in the state, and West Coast all I can think of is the saying nice guys finish last.

Their issues as it pertains to this class (which will be the third "sub-optimal" class in a row) is by the time the season kicks off the majority of their plan A guys will be committed to other schools so even going 10-2 or better won't help with 95% of them who haven't seriously every considered us, which means we will be vying for plan B and C guys and I believe even then the plan B guys will use UW as their back-up plan in case they don't get the offer they really want.

And in regards to the Doog dream that was Morgan, his current position at UW falls somewhere between hypeman at MLM, timeshare presentations and fluffer in the X-rated movie genre. If recuits don't see and know how little interaction they will have with him once on campus, their parents certainly will and will let them know.

Kalen has a monumental task ahead of him to try and fix this.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    godawgst said:

Deboer and his staff are doing everything the right way when you are trying to build a program and get recruits. But when I see them throw out offers all across America, plus watching what is going on in the state, and West Coast all I can think of is the saying nice guys finish last.

Their issues as it pertains to this class (which will be the third "sub-optimal" class in a row) is by the time the season kicks off the majority of their plan A guys will be committed to other schools so even going 10-2 or better won't help with 95% of them who haven't seriously every considered us, which means we will be vying for plan B and C guys and I believe even then the plan B guys will use UW as their back-up plan in case they don't get the offer they really want.

And in regards to the Doog dream that was Morgan, his current position at UW falls somewhere between hypeman at MLM, timeshare presentations and fluffer in the X-rated movie genre. If recuits don't see and know how little interaction they will have with him once on campus, their parents certainly will and will let them know.

Kalen has a monumental task ahead of him to try and fix this.
    It definitely looks and feels like KDB is in over his head when it comes to recruiting

Either way though he gets $15M+ win or lose
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pete flipped Buddha before he coached a game at UW and everyone (most) said he would suck at recruiting. DB got shut out.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Pete flipped Buddha before he coached a game at UW and everyone (most) said he would suck at recruiting. DB got shut out.

I didnt have high hopes but the way DeBoer closed last year's class was far worse than my lowest expectations.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @sonics1993

Do you see DeBoer needing to rely heavily on the portal until he gets some coaches who can recruit or an NIL program that can cover up some of those deficiencies?

Given that we could lose 10 after this spring, do you see them hitting the portal again this summer?
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe Oregon can hire his brother. Paid dividends for us??
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And really? Guy just bounces from whatever program is up at the time trying to rep his company. It isn't about the players it's about his bottom line. Fucking scum bag.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    Swaye's Wigwam

And really? Guy just bounces from whatever program is up at the time trying to rep his company. It isn't about the players it's about his bottom line. Fucking scum bag.

Oregon is up? They got buttfucked by Utah twice last season and have a first time head coach. They're way more up than Washington and have been recruiting a million times better lately (read: actually getting commits), but I think FSP sucks off any major program that his boys commit to. Yes, for promotion.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    At least this is 80% more effort than what the previous staff put forth.