Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Glaring example of what's wrong with baseball

BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Probably applies to all modern sports.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401354326

Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw pulled after seven perfect innings in 1-hitter vs. Minnesota Twins

MINNEAPOLIS -- Clayton Kershaw was in prime form -- call it perfect -- in his season debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers, leaving no concern about his health after facing no resistance from the Minnesota Twins.

When the time came for manager Dave Roberts to relieve him, Kershaw didn't put up a fight, either.

Kershaw took a perfect game through seven innings for the Dodgers until he was pulled after 80 pitches, dominating the Twins with 13 strikeouts in 21 batters during a 7-0 victory on Wednesday.

"Those are selfish goals," Kershaw said. "We're trying to win. That's really all we're here for."

Roberts consulted with Kershaw after the sixth, and the three-time National League Cy Young Award winner told him his preference: one more inning with an 85-pitch limit.

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Must be what everyone could/should do then. I love when exceptions disprove rules

Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw pulled after seven perfect innings in 1-hitter vs. Minnesota Twins

MINNEAPOLIS -- Clayton Kershaw was in prime form -- call it perfect -- in his season debut for the Los Angeles Dodgers, leaving no concern about his health after facing no resistance from the Minnesota Twins.

When the time came for manager Dave Roberts to relieve him, Kershaw didn't put up a fight, either.

Kershaw took a perfect game through seven innings for the Dodgers until he was pulled after 80 pitches, dominating the Twins with 13 strikeouts in 21 batters during a 7-0 victory on Wednesday.

"Those are selfish goals," Kershaw said. "We're trying to win. That's really all we're here for."

Roberts consulted with Kershaw after the sixth, and the three-time National League Cy Young Award winner told him his preference: one more inning with an 85-pitch limit.
    If you think that's what is wrong with baseball then you should just not have an opinion, or at least not state it.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

Must be what everyone could/should do then. I love when exceptions disprove rules

If you think that's what is wrong with baseball then you should just not have an opinion, or at least not state it.
    I think it's a great example. Starters who go 4 innings sucks. Analytics suck. Homerun or bust sucks. Sticking a guy on 2nd base in extra innings sucks. The game is a flaming turd right now. Basically every move MLB makes is the wrong one.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature, with all due respek…he made just under $26mm in his career. Kershaw has a bad elbow (from last year), was a FA, and the Doyers were the only club to offer ($17mm, one year). IMO…
    1. He came back for another ring
    2. He is a HOF’er already
    3. What changed the game is $$$
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HOF players are by definition rare

To me Randy Johnson was more amazing because he had 6 feet 10 inches of body that could break down and he lasted 20 years

Not sure that throwing less is any more proven than throwing more to build strength

Like coaches and NFL running back most pitchers have a short shelf life

Don't really care what Kershaw did or didn't do quite honestly. Just throwing shit

• TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,550
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    I understand the thought process behind the complaint, and history says that you never pull a guy with a perfect game… I mean I threw a no hitter when I was 9 years old and I will never forget it.

Saying that, this is an excellent pitcher coming off of arm troubles with a short ramp up thru an aborted spring training

The entire league is limiting innings, and this is a team of MVP players that have been there and know how to act like it so if you care about your pitcher then you pull him

Mike drop.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    As a coach, there have been several instances over the years where I have silently rooted for my pitcher to give up a hit to get him out of the game, early in the year. I pulled 2 kids in the same weekend throwing no-no's, as it was our opening weekend. The conversations are always heated, and I never leave out that I would have been pissed to the max if it happened to me, but I'm looking out for them long-term. It never happened to me, because I'm so old that there was no such thing as a pitch count back then. I also, as my orthopedic surgeon said to me when I was 40, own the right shoulder of a "perfectly healthy 80 year-old man"...