Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Formula 1 Season Thread

dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Charles LeClerc and Carlos Sainz finished at the top at the Bahrain F1 Grand Prix and Lewis Hamilton finished out the podium. Both Red Bulls took a shit as the race came to its end, leaving Verstappen and Perez with no points.

McLaren also struggled badly. Mercedes looked ok, but not nearly as good as last year. It looks like Haas has gained the most, and McLaren lost the most with the new car designs.

Haas F1 and their new driver Kevin Magnussen brought home 5th place - which shocked everyone after their dismal performance last year.

Comments

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I saw the last 5 laps. Seemed like I tuned in at the right time.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Red Bull. Oof. Talk about shooting yourself in the dick.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Yeah that Red Bull stuff was crazy. I love Haas. Always a feel good moment when they do well. Fuck Mercedes. Go Ferrari. Sad to see McLaren fucking it up. I like that team. Here's hoping Williams can pull their head out of their ass as well. Looking forward to this season.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Yeah that Red Bull stuff was crazy. I love Haas. Always a feel good moment when they do well. Fuck Mercedes. Go Ferrari. Sad to see McLaren fucking it up. I like that team. Here's hoping Williams can pull their head out of their ass as well. Looking forward to this season.

Agree on all points. I want to see the smaller teams (crazy calling McLaren a "smaller team," but it sort of is) do well. If Ferrari keeps dominating all season, I'll be saying, "Fuck Ferrari" a year from now. I think Drive to Survive has done more for Haas' popularity than they could have possibly hoped for. Gunther comes across as probably inept, but he's so fucking awesome on that show that Haas can't get rid of him.

I should make a separate thread, but MotoGP has thrown up just as many surprises through two races. It was supposed to be all about Suzuki, Honda's new bike, and the factory Ducati team, but so far, we've got KTM going 2nd and 1st with two different riders, a customer Ducati winning the other race and coming in third in the second, and both podiums being filled out by a Yamaha and Honda's #2 rider. The Ducati and Suzuki factory teams that everyone was so high on haven't sniffed the podium yet. Early tims, but it's pretty intriguing. After two races, only six points separates the top five. There's really no clear trend except the Ducati factory team needing to pull their heads out of their asses.
    Founders Club
    You nailed it on Gunther. He's kind of a bumbling dolt but just so fucking great you have to love him.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    Red Bull back on track after the Saudi GP, finishing 1-4. Ferrari still looking strong, though, with a 2-3 finish. Looks like both are still a ways ahead of Mercedes at the moment.

There was some really solid racing going on too, all around the track. It looks like F1 has figured out how to make the cars fast, and still able to be passed on track, with the new design regulations.

Haas finishes with a car in the points again, with Magnussen bringing home 9th place.

Lewis Hamilton finishes tenth. lol
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now imagine how close and awesome the championship would be at this point if both Red Bull cars hadn't shit the bed in the last three laps in the first race.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Now imagine how close and awesome the championship would be at this point if both Red Bull cars hadn't shit the bed in the last three laps in the first race.

They're only two races in to a 21 race season and the teams now have a month off to dial the cars in better.
    Formula One heads to Australia this weekend for the third race of 2022 - and lots of questions left unanswered.

Does Mercedes really suck, or are they just struggling with setup because Hamilton doesn't know fuckall about how to develop a car, only how to drive one?

Can Red Bull finish another race, or is reliability going to continue to be a problem for them?

Will Ferrari continue with their strong showing out of the gates, or will Mercedes and Red Bull start taking bites out of their lead?

There has been a lot of good racing at the first couple circuits - hopefully, that continues.

Just fyi - there are 3 US Grands Prix on the 2023 F1 schedule. Austin, TX, Miami, FL, and a Saturday night race in Las Vegas, NV. I'm thinking I might do a combo F1/fishing trip to the Keys vacation. Then if I die or get killed after that, I'm good.
    In the 3rd race of the season, Ferrari look like the team to beat. Red Bull can't get Verstappen across the finish line as his RB18 blew up again, while running in 2nd place in Australia.

LeClerc cruised to an easy win in the Ferrari, with Perez in 2nd and George Russell 3rd in the Merc.

Italy is next in 2 weeks - the Tifosi are going to be out of their minds.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022
    Do they run at Mugello in F1? Bucket list track for me.
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    Absolutely shocking to me the reliability issues at Red Bull with Honda engines. I thought they were dialed the fuck in after the last two years. Love seeing Ferrari finally figuring shit out. Fuck Mercedes. In the ass.

Absolutely love hearing the hardcore speculation of Audi/Porsche returning to F1 in some capacity.
    Porsche has been absent from F1 for way too long. The McLaren-Porsche TAG turbos of the mid 80's were pretty cool cars - 1.5 liter twin-turbo putting out 1100 hp on the dyno. I'd love to see Porsche back in the mix.
    Founders Club
    dflea said:

Porsche has been absent from F1 for way too long. The McLaren-Porsche TAG turbos of the mid 80's were pretty cool cars - 1.5 liter twin-turbo putting out 1100 hp on the dyno. I'd love to see Porsche back in the mix.

I am a complete Audi/Porsche fanboy. I cannot wait for their return. Porsche did well in the early to mid-80's, then everyone figured it out and they got run out of F1 with their tail between their legs. All the years of big cylinder cars kept them out, but with this new 6 cylinder hybrid requirement, it's their wheelhouse moment. Porsche/Audi can flat develop hybrid 6s, so I am excited to see what they can do, and with whom. I don't know if they plan to go full ground up ownership like Mercedes, or the engine builder route like Honda/RedBull. I secretly hope it's engine builder route and they team with Haas so I can cheer for Gunther and Porsche together. That is boner inducing to me.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

dflea said:

I am a complete Audi/Porsche fanboy. I cannot wait for their return. Porsche did well in the early to mid-80's, then everyone figured it out and they got run out of F1 with their tail between their legs. All the years of big cylinder cars kept them out, but with this new 6 cylinder hybrid requirement, it's their wheelhouse moment. Porsche/Audi can flat develop hybrid 6s, so I am excited to see what they can do, and with whom. I don't know if they plan to go full ground up ownership like Mercedes, or the engine builder route like Honda/RedBull. I secretly hope it's engine builder route and they team with Haas so I can cheer for Gunther and Porsche together. That is boner inducing to me.
    You want Gunther running your favorite marque's F1 team. You are DEFINITELY a Husky fan!...
    Swaye said:

dflea said:

Same. The list of incredible cars Porsche and Audi have put on the track is long. My personal favorite race car of all time is the 917-30 - 5.4 liter twin-turbo, putting out over 1500 hp. When I was a kid, I thought Mark Donohue's car was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, other that Patti McGuire.

And then there's the Audi Quattro Group B rally cars, and IMSA GTO cars. Unbelievable to watch on the track and on the dirt. The Unfair Advantage video on youtube is a great watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10m0Jdk8tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuxwR5i6Vlo&t=25s
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

dflea said:

You want Gunther running your favorite marque's F1 team. You are DEFINITELY a Husky fan!...
    It takes years to properly adapt to getting kicked in the balls, but once you get there, it's really all you want. I just love Gunther. I can't help but root for the goofy bastard. Can you imagine Haas good? Would also be great for an American team to finally do something in F1. And they have Schumacher Jr. Yeah, if Porsche/Audi come in Gunther probably gets fired tbh, but it's fun to dream. Reality might be P/A just do their own team from the ground up like Merc and Ferrari. I'm okay with either, but would slightly prefer the engine builder route so they don't get embarrassed for three seasons figuring shit out.
    Founders Club
    edited April 2022
    dflea said:

Swaye said:

dflea said:

Same. The list of incredible cars Porsche and Audi have put on the track is long. My personal favorite race car of all time is the 917-30 - 5.4 liter twin-turbo, putting out over 1500 hp. When I was a kid, I thought Mark Donohue's car was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, other that Patti McGuire.

And then there's the Audi Quattro Group B rally cars, and IMSA GTO cars. Unbelievable to watch on the track and on the dirt. The Unfair Advantage video on youtube is a great watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10m0Jdk8tc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuxwR5i6Vlo&t=25s
    Dude that is epic.

It's the OG 917 for me. In Gulf livery. The car that started it all for Porsche as the most winningest team in endurance racing history. It's shocking Porsche has not done better in F1 considering the MASSIVE amount of success they (and Audi) have had in ALL other forms of racing. Just a legendary team.

Founders Club
    I just changed the title and pinned this so the three or four of us who aren't gay can follow along the entire season. Stalin will probably shit all over me.

@dflea
    @BleachedAnusDawg
    @1to392831weretaken

Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

dflea said:

It takes years to properly adapt to getting kicked in the balls, but once you get there, it's really all you want. I just love Gunther. I can't help but root for the goofy bastard. Can you imagine Haas good? Would also be great for an American team to finally do something in F1. And they have Schumacher Jr. Yeah, if Porsche/Audi come in Gunther probably gets fired tbh, but it's fun to dream. Reality might be P/A just do their own team from the ground up like Merc and Ferrari. I'm okay with either, but would slightly prefer the engine builder route so they don't get embarrassed for three seasons figuring shit out.
    Not with Gunther running the team!... I love the shit out of that guy, too, but the impression I get from him (and I'll admit that all I know of him is what I've seen on Drive to Survive) is that he's not the brightest F1 team boss, to put it as politely as possible.