Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Are we Recruiting again? Fischer of Men Recruiting Thread - (Thread links)

Comments

• JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,055
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Yet can’t remember their names to hashtag them
  • doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,182
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022
    Watching the videos, our staff looks like they are about to arm and defend some Idaho town in April 2020. They maybe wanna shave off the facial hair and ditch the camo UW gear when dealing with a lot of these kids who aren't McGary types. It's not entirely fair but it's the way the cfb world works now. They strike me as really humble and relatable to northwest kids otherwise.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    We all had hopes for a couple of months at least. Now back to your regularly scheduled dumpster fire.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,388
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was hoping the overall shit brick that was Lake and company was mostly responsible for the corpse that was Washington recruiting. It's clear now it's a much larger issue and have no idea how it turns around. Stanford had a Top 20 class in 2022 and Arizona out recruited Washington on a run of historically bad teams and a coach named Jedd Fisch.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was hoping the overall shit brick that was Lake and company was mostly responsible for the corpse that was Washington recruiting. It's clear now it's a much larger issue and have no idea how it turns around. Stanford had a Top 20 class in 2022 and Arizona out recruited Washington on a run of historically bad teams and a coach named Jedd Fisch.

I think it's two things

1) the staff has their own evaluation metrics, for right or wrong.

2) too many position groups are backed up besides RB and LB and they can't promise any kind of playing time.

We somehow kept the core of our team after 4-8. 2022 was always going to be the last gasp of opportunity coming out of the vaunted Petersen classes.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm always skeptical of the evaluation metrics thing. It usually seems to be a cop out for simply not being able to win recruiting battles.

I don't see a situation where recruits don't see themselves playing over the guys who got rag dolled in a shit Pac-12 last year, especially with a completely new staff coming in.

My one sliver optimism is I'm very curious to see how the NIL plays out. Will there be an advantage to teams/programs that are more building culture and team with players that actually want to be there opposed to players who just are there because of the money. Unless you're the same Top 5-6 programs that can stack five stars on five stars AND have good coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if the next best teams every year are more teams that want it more instead of the A&Ms and Oregons where guys are going simply for money and weird clout.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm always skeptical of the evaluation metrics thing. It usually seems to be a cop out for simply not being able to win recruiting battles.

I don't see a situation where recruits don't see themselves playing over the guys who got rag dolled in a shit Pac-12 last year, especially with a completely new staff coming in.

My one sliver optimism is I'm very curious to see how the NIL plays out. Will there be an advantage to teams/programs that are more building culture and team with players that actually want to be there opposed to players who just are there because of the money. Unless you're the same Top 5-6 programs that can stack five stars on five stars AND have good coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if the next best teams every year are more teams that want it more instead of the A&Ms and Oregons where guys are going simply for money and weird clout.

It's a cop out for some staffs, like Colorado. For Petersen's staff it was not. For Leech's staff it was not. For this staff, who finished 2nd/3rd in the MW but had bottom half recruits on paper in that league, it was not.

If there's an established starter on a bad team, I don't think recruits think they are just going to supplant them. Some lt recruit isn't going to think, "Yeah I should be able to come to Washington and take Kirkland's spot because his OL was shit last year."

It's definitely situational, and this roster is pretty backed up. 2021 and 2022 were supposed to be the years we would have a lot of success because of numbers.

A lot of programs have already shown that you need a roster that gives a shit, and that will overcome a roster full of mercs that don't care about what school they are at.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think the recruiting is on par with what Petersens staff's was early on. I feel like Petersen's staff was taking the best of the guys who would have went to Boise State, which is fine and mixing them in with Pac-12 recruits and some elite local guys like Budda and McGary. I feel like even if Washington is taking fit guys they should still be in the top quarter of the conference in recruiting as they can get guys who fit them that are still good recruits - legitimately beating out schools like ASU, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and UCLA for recruits and I don't feel like that's happening.

Agree on the mercy thing. It's only going to work if they are very, very good mercs and you have a rare staff that can get them to play. I think you're going to get a lot of the 2004 US Olympic basketball situations.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Petersen kicked ass with his first class because they were guys he had been evaluating and recruiting to Boise. Few of them had competitive offers. His second class didn't fare so well. It wasn't until the third cycle that UW started nabbing a majority of recruits that had high end offers.

It would have taken Deboer and staff a full year or two before they reached that point even without the NIL shit. I knew that. I thought recruiting would go a little better than this in the first full cycle, but obviously not. UW is going to have to win big to get some excitement going.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,059
    We could’ve maybe had a Petersen-esque first class if Tedford didn’t cock block us with Fresno.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

I think it's two things

1) the staff has their own evaluation metrics, for right or wrong.

2) too many position groups are backed up besides RB and LB and they can't promise any kind of playing time.

We somehow kept the core of our team after 4-8. 2022 was always going to be the last gasp of opportunity coming out of the vaunted Petersen classes.
    I laffed.
    haie said:

It's a cop out for some staffs, like Colorado. For Petersen's staff it was not. For Leech's staff it was not. For this staff, who finished 2nd/3rd in the MW but had bottom half recruits on paper in that league, it was not.

If there's an established starter on a bad team, I don't think recruits think they are just going to supplant them. Some lt recruit isn't going to think, "Yeah I should be able to come to Washington and take Kirkland's spot because his OL was shit last year."

It's definitely situational, and this roster is pretty backed up. 2021 and 2022 were supposed to be the years we would have a lot of success because of numbers.

A lot of programs have already shown that you need a roster that gives a shit, and that will overcome a roster full of mercs that don't care about what school they are at.
    Things delusional people say.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

We'll see how bitch boy does this season when his GameDay tasks become more than getting the post game kegs for the staff.
    haie said:

46XiJCAB said:

haie said:

We'll see how bitch boy does this season when his GameDay tasks become more than getting the post game kegs for the staff.
    MWC tuff.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Even if you hit on under the radar guys, if you aren’t paying market competitive NIL rates then those players are going to leave you anyway

Bottom line until there’s more clarity around NIL limits then it really comes down to how much are you willing to pay