Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What's the one thing you miss most about living in Seattle?

Comments

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2022
    The food, the views, the summer weather.

Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.

Yeah I think 2000 was the point of demarkation between good Seattle and woke faggot Seattle. I remember wanting to move here by my "senior" year at UW in 2002.

When I was a kid, the population was 500,000 and it was liberal but not leftist. We just called SJWs annoying, bleeding heart liberals then.
    I agree around 2000 seemed to be an inflection point, coming from someone who lived there 1999-2002 and visited fairly frequently before and after that time period.

The inflection seemed to be caused by:
    1999 WTO Riots
    2001 Boeing HQ to Chicago after 1997 merger with McDonnell Douglas
    1999 Bezos Time man of the year and subsequent rise of Amazon
    Big population growth at that time, after losing population or growing modestly for decades, it jumped in the 1990s, with more and more transplants (which I guess I count as)
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Fishpo31 said:

Old Ballard: drunk Norwegian fishermen
    New Ballard: high (or strung out), mentally unstable homeless people

I miss drunk-fighter Ballard…

I normally agree with everything you say, but on this one point we differ. Ballard is better than it has ever been. There are rows of great fucking restaurants there, and people have invested in their homes and there are far fewer run-down little craftsman style places than there once was. I mostly didn't like Ballard back in the day, but I do now.

As for Yella's original question, I don't miss anything because I'm still here. We still have the restaurants, we still have Dicks (lolz), the U-district has always been a shit hole, or at least the Ave, and still is.

The only think I really miss is not having to see tent cities every fucking place I look. I do miss the absence of that, for sure.
    Well, aside from that.....C'mon dude. Seattle voters have made the homeless scumbag populatoin priority #1, completely above the law and unaccountable for anything they ruin - like every park and greenbelt in the City.

It's the people who vote, man. They all suck ass.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,042
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

I normally agree with everything you say, but on this one point we differ. Ballard is better than it has ever been. There are rows of great fucking restaurants there, and people have invested in their homes and there are far fewer run-down little craftsman style places than there once was. I mostly didn't like Ballard back in the day, but I do now.

As for Yella's original question, I don't miss anything because I'm still here. We still have the restaurants, we still have Dicks (lolz), the U-district has always been a shit hole, or at least the Ave, and still is.

The only think I really miss is not having to see tent cities every fucking place I look. I do miss the absence of that, for sure.
    Well, aside from that.....C'mon dude. Seattle voters have made the homeless scumbag populatoin priority #1, completely above the law and unaccountable for anything they ruin - like every park and greenbelt in the City.

Seattle voters get the government they deserve. This is obvious and I think most here would agree.

My attempt here though was the reminisce about the good things that I for one miss. Even in 2022 Seattle has some worthwhile amenities.
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Seattle voters get the government they deserve. This is obvious and I think most here would agree.

My attempt here though was the reminisce about the good things that I for one miss. Even in 2022 Seattle has some worthwhile amenities.
    It's far beyond the point of needing to be nuked. There's no saving it.

Meanwhile, I'll eat Dick's burgers, do Happy Hour at Matador, and keep filling my 1/2 price growlers every Monday at EBB. I will also smoke cigars while walking my dog, blowing smoke in the faces of masked idiots, then faux apologizing for it as I proceed along the walk, chuckling.
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Meanwhile, I'll eat Dick's burgers, do Happy Hour at Matador, and keep filling my 1/2 price growlers every Monday at EBB. I will also smoke cigars while walking my dog, blowing smoke in the faces of masked idiots, then faux apologizing for it as I proceed along the walk, chuckling.
    Pizza at the Northlake Tavern, and Fiddler's Inn, along with a Shepherd's Pie at the George & Dragon are still worth eating, too.

But that's it. Everything else needs to die a violent death.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264

Fishpo31 said:

I agree with you on the restaurants for sure...the last time I visited Ballard (3 years ago) to go to one of those restaurants, I nearly got in a fight (or my ass kicked, take your pick) with three guys (obvious campers) who were miffed that I would disturb their passed-out friend, who was directly in front of the passenger door of my car, blocking my wife's entrance to said car. It was one of several times something like that happened to us (me) in Ballard from about 2015-17.

I witnessed a lot of shit / sketchy activity in a short time frame, to the point that I did not feel safe going there. Eliminate the campers and I'm right there with you, Creep...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

Pizza at the Northlake Tavern, and Fiddler's Inn, along with a Shepherd's Pie at the George & Dragon are still worth eating, too.

The Northlake might be my all time favorite eating establishment in Seattle. Different vibe but I miss Varlamos a ton and Costa the owner.

Fiddler's Inn was a long time spot for me.

George and Dragon and I never hit it off cause I think soccer if for fags.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Fishpo31 said:

Whatever , Eeyore.

Yell at the clouds.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Fishpo31 said:

The Northlake might be my all time favorite eating establishment in Seattle. Different vibe but I miss Varlamos a ton and Costa the owner.

Soccer is for fags.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

Soccer is for fags.

Yella always right.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rat and Raven or whatever the fuck, Blue Moon, Saturday nights in the U district.

It was a better college scene even in 2007-10 than most college towns. Random parties in Cap Hill and places.

Weed easy to get before it was now really easy to get.

Went to a party on Holloweeen sponsored by Elysian. All kegs their strongest beer. Some amazing bands played at random houses off of 22nd because the members went to school.
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Seattle Soccer is for fags. Dominated by Lesbians. Worse than the crowd at Storm gaymes.

Is there a gayer City than Seattle, though? Perfect fit, no?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264

Fishpo31 said:

Up vote for Shepherds Pie at G&D…not a futbol guy, but we were running with euro transplants back in the day…
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Soccer is for fags.

EeeeeYup
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Fishpo31 said:

Lol fucking Christ, happy hour at Matador? Is that before the big family dinner at Chili's?
  • Options

Fishpo31 said:

Lol fucking Christ, happy hour at Matador? Is that before the big family dinner at Chili's?
    How are things at the Spunky Monkey, @GRG?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.

But what’s something positive that you miss?
    Smith & Wessons at the Doghouse at 6 a.m. after an all-nighter in Belltown.
    Driving without having to dodge retarded bicyclists who need special lines, lanes and lights, or else cannot function in traffic.
    Greenlake without homeless surrounding it and not seeing HEAPS OF TRASH FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
    FUN bars and GOOD restaurant food, vs. overpriced, mediocre "artisan" everything that sucks.
    Good service in bars and restaurants.
    Bar taps with a variety of craft beers instead of 20 different IPAs and one stout.

For starters.
    My dad used to like the Doghouse. I remember seeing a cigarette machine there circa 1992. That Denny Regrade area used to be so mellow compared to now. Two story buildings and Amazon was some book website losing money every year..
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Fishpo31 said:

Seattle Soccer is for fags. Dominated by Lesbians. Worse than the crowd at Storm gaymes.

Is there a gayer City than Seattle, though? Perfect fit, no?
    San Francisco is gayer rather easily.

Seattle is lesboer.

IR, YK.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    I miss WASHINGTON, dammit.

Alas, it's not coming back. Forever buried under the manboobs of it's former coach.