Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What's the one thing you miss most about living in Seattle?

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Summers there are awesome...of course the last tim I was there, it hit 100 fucking degrees, but for the most part
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I remember my Seattle phase
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I’ve had 3 distinct Seattle phases. Doubt there will be a 4th. We’ve got irreconcilable differences though now.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I miss the FREE hydroplane races, camping over night on the shores of LW before the races.
    Shooting pool at The 211 on iirc Pine (wasn't good nuff to play snooker)
    Being an old fart - Concerts at Eagle's Auditorium
    Wrestling at the Masonic Temple on Capital Hill
    Free concerts at Volunteer Park, Golden Gardens of Seward Park (rare)
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    Founders Club
    El_K said:

Too many things I miss about "old" Seattle
    The Mercer Arena
    RCKCNDY
    The Fun Forest
    The Coliseum
    The seats in the Coliseum/Key Arena/Climate Pledge Arena. those red velour seats!
    The Kingdome
    The Lusty Lady
    Free busses downtown
    Building that were landmarks. The Natural gas building. The spice building. The PI Building
    The strip clubs
    Jimi Hendrix' old grave site
    Tower Records off Mercer
    the radio stations
    90.5 KCMU.
    The Ave in the 80s-90s
    The theater chain that showed arty fartsy films/ The Guild, The Varsity, Seven Gables
    The Viaduct
    the waterfront
    520 with no tolls
    When Seafair was a party
    Chinatown and none of this PC International District
    Seahawks original colors
    Pioneer Square
    Tuba Man
    Frederick & Nelson
    the Azteca on Eastlake
    The Blob
    Nordstrom with the computer font times and the service you would get then
    The Grit. some graffiti, a few homeless, a few drunks. Not over run like it is now

If you had to pinpoint it to one thing that was the tipping point to new Seattle, for me it would be when Vulcan or whoever bought up those small properties in south Lake Union and just developed the shit out of SLU and Mercer St

I guess you could do this about any city

Great list
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,087
    Founders Club
    Fourth of Jul-Ivar's parties at Gas Works
    Seeing people everywhere wearing UW apparel
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.

But what’s something positive that you miss?
    Smith & Wessons at the Doghouse at 6 a.m. after an all-nighter in Belltown.
    Driving without having to dodge retarded bicyclists who need special lines, lanes and lights, or else cannot function in traffic.
    Greenlake without homeless surrounding it and not seeing HEAPS OF TRASH FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
    FUN bars and GOOD restaurant food, vs. overpriced, mediocre "artisan" everything that sucks.
    Good service in bars and restaurants.
    Bar taps with a variety of craft beers instead of 20 different IPAs and one stout.

For starters.
  • Options
    El_K said:

If you had to pinpoint it to one thing that was the tipping point to new Seattle, for me it would be when Vulcan or whoever bought up those small properties in south Lake Union and just developed the shit out of SLU and Mercer St

Paul Allen offered to donate ALL THAT LAND to the City for the Seattle Commons park, and the same Antifa-type assholes we see today opposed it and the proponents couldn't get the 60% they needed from the public to vote it in. So Allen said, "Fuck You Guysm, Then" and developed the fuck out of SLU, instead.

If this doesn't convince you how fucking stupid Seattle voters actually are, nothing will.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    El_K said:

The Mercer Arena
    RCKCNDY
    The Fun Forest
    The Coliseum
    The seats in the Coliseum/Key Arena/Climate Pledge Arena. those red velour seats!
    The Kingdome
    The Lusty Lady
    Free busses downtown
    Building that were landmarks. The Natural gas building. The spice building. The PI Building
    The strip clubs
    Tower Records off Mercer
    the radio stations
    90.5 KCMU.
    The Ave in the 80s-90s
    The theater chain that showed arty fartsy films/ The Guild, The Varsity, Seven Gables
    The Viaduct
    the waterfront
    520 with no tolls
    When Seafair was a party
    Seahawks original colors
    Pioneer Square
    Tuba Man
    Frederick & Nelson
    the Azteca on Eastlake
    The Blob
    The Grit. some graffiti, a few homeless, a few drunks. Not over run like it is now

Robin and Maynard - Roy Otis
    The Blade
    Spoonman at Pikes Place
    UW football
    Lunch at The Met
    The shoe shine guy on 1st and Columbia

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    The Throbber misses Ivar's at SEA. For fuck's sake, that airport is shit to begin with and they got rid of the only decent food in the place.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

The Mercer Arena
    RCKCNDY
    The Fun Forest
    The Coliseum
    The Kingdome
    The Lusty Lady
    Free busses downtown
    The strip clubs
    Tower Records off Mercer
    the radio stations
    90.5 KCMU.
    The Ave in the 80s-90s
    The Viaduct
    the waterfront
    520 with no tolls
    When Seafair was a party
    Seahawks original colors
    Pioneer Square
    Tuba Man
    Frederick & Nelson
    the Azteca on Eastlake
    The Blob

Robin and Maynard - Roy Otis
    The Blade
    Spoonman at Pikes Place
    UW football
    Lunch at The Met
    The shoe shine guy on 1st and Columbia

My shoe shine guysm were the folks in the basement of the Nordstrom flagship store. I used to got there like once a week on my lunch break. I miss that a lot.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,255
    Old Ballard: drunk Norwegian fishermen
    New Ballard: high (or strung out), mentally unstable homeless people

I miss drunk-fighter Ballard…
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    Fishpo31 said:

Ya sure..ya betcha.

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I used to work at the Bananas Tavern - across from the Fremont Tavern and the Toohigh Tavern - working the door I let many a drunk fisherman in for free only to be paid back in kind or triple kind a few days later.

Miss the good tavern days through out Seattle
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I miss the authentic ethnic food. Of all kinds. You leave the city and that shit gets harder to find.

I enjoyed a lot about going to UW and being in Seattle at the end of the 80's, but I don't miss most of it. The traffic was fucked even then.
  • Options

Seattle was fucking great until about 2000 and when the population was under 700k.

All the new stick skinny tech fags and their 300lb girlfriends have ballooned the population to over 800k and they all suck, have no character, no sense of humor, are fully loaded with social justice bullshit, and live through their fucking phones.

The speeding meteor of death cannot come fast enough for this dirty sphincter city.

Driving without having to dodge retarded bicyclists who need special lines, lanes and lights, or else cannot function in traffic.
    Greenlake without homeless surrounding it and not seeing HEAPS OF TRASH FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
    FUN bars and GOOD restaurant food, vs. overpriced, mediocre "artisan" everything that sucks.
    Bar taps with a variety of craft beers instead of 20 different IPAs and one stout.

For starters.
    Seattle has to have the worst possible geography to be a bicycle commuter city. It's never going to be an effective way for most folks to commute. I was always astonished with the risks parents would take taking their kids on the back of their bikes to school on busy ass arterials with no bike line.

White Wakanda on the other hand is a marvelously bike friendly layout, although I lay off the country roads with minimal shoulders myself. I like to the give the hicks their space as they were here first.
    Mt. Washington Drive to Tumalo Junction & back to Broken Top was always good.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

For starters.
    Seattle has to have the worst possible geography to be a bicycle commuter city. It's never going to be an effective way for most folks to commute. I was always astonished with the risks parents would take taking their kids on the back of their bikes to school on busy ass arterials with no bike line.

White Wakanda on the other hand is a marvelously bike friendly layout, although I lay off the country roads with minimal shoulders myself. I like to the give the hicks their space as they were here first.
    Mt. Washington Drive to Tumalo Junction & back to Broken Top was always good.
    Yep, nice views no doubt. Mt Washington Drive has decent shoulders.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Fishpo31 said:

I normally agree with everything you say, but on this one point we differ. Ballard is better than it has ever been. There are rows of great fucking restaurants there, and people have invested in their homes and there are far fewer run-down little craftsman style places than there once was. I mostly didn't like Ballard back in the day, but I do now.

As for Yella's original question, I don't miss anything because I'm still here. We still have the restaurants, we still have Dicks (lolz), the U-district has always been a shit hole, or at least the Ave, and still is.

The only think I really miss is not having to see tent cities every fucking place I look. I do miss the absence of that, for sure.