Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suarez

chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
What do y'all think? Great, great move I think. They gave up virtually nothing and got two dangerous hitters. Winker is possibly on his way to being one of the best hitters in MLB and he's getting less than 7 mil with two years of club control.

My only concern is that their defense is not improving a while lot. That's already a big boost in offensive firepower though.

Comments

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I like it. Dip didn’t get left at the alter waiting on Bryant, with the Rockies looking like they may back up the Brinks truck for him…now, another starter, a catcher, or a bat?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I like it. Dip didn’t get left at the alter waiting on Bryant, with the Rockies looking like they may back up the Brinks truck for him…now, another starter, a catcher, or a bat?

I'm glad they didn't get crazy with a free agent like Bryant. I bet they're all but done and will keep something in reserve for an inseason move.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:

Looks like a starter if anything. I think they're going to stick with what they have offensively and make a move at the deadline if something isn't working (3B/C most likely spots, maybe 1B if France can't stay healthy).
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Winker > Bryant or Story

Reds got fleeced. I didn't believe the trade when I first saw it on Twitter, thought it was a joke.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Winker > Bryant or Story

Reds got fleeced. I didn't believe the trade when I first saw it on Twitter, thought it was a joke.

Agree that Winker has high potential as a bat.

Bryant hasn’t been even close to as good since his second year in the Bigs.

If Julio is as advertised, and I’m pretty sure he is, the line up is plenty potent.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I've never

Winker > Bryant or Story

I don't know if the Reds really got fleeced. It looks like it from a lot of views. It wouldn't be shocking if Seattle just added close to 80 homers, with half of them coming from a guy who goes something like .300/.400/.600. That would be fucking ridiculous but it's actually not unrealistic. If Suarez has a year or two like his best and earns his pay then I'd say yes, they got fleeced badly. That would also make the Ms really, really tough this year. Jesus.

On the other hand, Suarez had to go if you're them. Unloading his salary would be a win for any team if he's going to hit .198 with 31 homers. Winker hasn't been able to play a full season, is bad on defense, and so far has been pretty bad against lefties. If he keeps breaking down they're not going to miss him too much. Brandon Williamson might be as good as a quality #2-#3 starter. He looks like a high floor guy to me too. Gotta love a tall lefty who throws low to mid 90s with some in reserve, and who throws three other pitches considered nastier than his fastball. He's a serious prospect and I hate giving up lefties with velocity. Finally, the player to be named later might be someone we really don't want to lose.

I still think it was a great trade and it's possible that Dipoto fleeced them. The only package like this that I would've been happier with was Chapman and Olson. That would have cost Seattle more and wouldn't necessarily have been any better. This kept them from overspending on one FA which was not going to boost the offense half as much as this potentially did.
    I predict Julio will come out hot, struggle, and (hopefully) adjust to the adjustments the pitchers make…
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

I've never

Winker > Bryant or Story

I don't know if the Reds really got fleeced. It looks like it from a lot of views. It wouldn't be shocking if Seattle just added close to 80 homers, with half of them coming from a guy who goes something like .300/.400/.600. That would be fucking ridiculous but it's actually not unrealistic. If Suarez has a year or two like his best and earns his pay then I'd say yes, they got fleeced badly. That would also make the Ms really, really tough this year. Jesus.

On the other hand, Suarez had to go if you're them. Unloading his salary would be a win for any team if he's going to hit .198 with 31 homers. Winker hasn't been able to play a full season, is bad on defense, and so far has been pretty bad against lefties. If he keeps breaking down they're not going to miss him too much. Brandon Williamson might be as good as a quality #2-#3 starter. He looks like a high floor guy to me too. Gotta love a tall lefty who throws low to mid 90s with some in reserve, and who throws three other pitches considered nastier than his fastball. He's a serious prospect and I hate giving up lefties with velocity. Finally, the player to be named later might be someone we really don't want to lose.

I still think it was a great trade and it's possible that Dipoto fleeced them. The only package like this that I would've been happier with was Chapman and Olson. That would have cost Seattle more and wouldn't necessarily have been any better. This kept them from overspending on one FA which was not going to boost the offense half as much as this potentially did.
    I think they got the fucking shaft. Sure Williamson is a really good prospect, but Winker was in the MVP conversation at one point last year with how hot his bat was. I randomly picked him up on fantasy and he was my best player for 2-3 months. He is 29 which is the prime age where experience meets peak physical tools. The only down side I see is if he tears it up we will be giving him a massive contract.

The rest of the trade is whatever to me. Doubt Sanchez flirts with 50 or even 40 bombs again. Fraley was a deep JAG (although fun to watch I will say). This was a Winker for Williamson deal and Winker has proven himself to be really fucking good already. Now watch him suck like most Mariners trades do right after i said this.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I've never

Winker > Bryant or Story

I think they got the fucking shaft. Sure Williamson is a really good prospect, but Winker was in the MVP conversation at one point last year with how hot his bat was. I randomly picked him up on fantasy and he was my best player for 2-3 months. He is 29 which is the prime age where experience meets peak physical tools. The only down side I see is if he tears it up we will be giving him a massive contract.

The rest of the trade is whatever to me. Doubt Sanchez flirts with 50 or even 40 bombs again. Fraley was a deep JAG (although fun to watch I will say). This was a Winker for Williamson deal and Winker has proven himself to be really fucking good already. Now watch him suck like most Mariners trades do right after i said this.
    I Suarez is the wildcard. Winker is going to hit like he has or even better. Him for a mid rotation pitching prospect who hasn't played above AA is definitely a steal on its own, even if he only plays 120 games.

Suarez can either be Kyle Seager with worse defense or he could bounce back to near MVP form. Its less likely but possible. He was still recovering from surgery in 2021 and went off in the last month. If he has his reads down this will get ugly in a hurry.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I predict Julio will come out hot, struggle, and (hopefully) adjust to the adjustments the pitchers make…

He will have some slumps like any player. That said, I think he’s an All Star bat right away. I’ll be surprised if he sucks like Kelenic did last year.

Fishpo31 said:

He will have some slumps like any player. That said, I think he’s an All Star bat right away. I’ll be surprised if he sucks like Kelenic did last year.
    Julio is wired different than Kelenic...I think his transition will be smoother. Having said that, they all react differently to the first big dose of the reality that most of the pitchers they had previously beat up on to get here are not here, and most likely won't be. Thank God they have some pieces to protect him with to soften the landing (ie. they don't have to, or feel they have to, hit him 2-3-4-5)...