Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I guess the one lingering thing bothering me about the Russell trade...

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
is the idea that the Seahawks had unfinished business after the disaster in the 2015 Super Bowl, and we needed to get back there before Russ retired or was released or traded. And that door had mostly closed but now is completely shut. So I need to adopt the thinking of Roadie and view this as a chance to see a new, fresh team emerge. Even if we're doomed to go 6-11 next season.

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    My luck, the 2 wins will be a sweep of #myNiners.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Seahawks were 3-5 in the playoffs since the super bowl loss. They beat the Lions, The Vikings because their kicker missed a 20 yard field goal, and the Eagles who were already bad and had a back up quarterback in. They haven't done jack shit since the defense slowly faded away and Marshawn left. They lost to the Rams the other year in the first round after winning the division. The Rams had John fucking Wolford in that day because shitty Goff was hurt, then Wolford got hurt and Goff came in with a busted finger and socked the Hawks 30-13 until a garbage time TD made it 30-20.

The window has been shut for awhile. The team has not been good enough for Russ to carry them to another SB win and they would never be. This off season would have been signing 2-3 medicore to worthless journeyman, hyping them up like they will make all the difference, only to complain about the same shit people have been complaining about for years because nothing has changed.

Russ has a better chance at winning a SB in Denver than he did staying in Seattle.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,264
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Wilson isn't the same player he was five years ago, and in areas of his game he should be better, he's not. He still holds the ball too long, makes baffling decisions at inopportune times, and can't (or won't) run like he used to. He's a good QB, but he was never going to lead Seattle to anything close to a Super Bowl.

And now that he's going to be 34, his age is going to start catching up to him more. He's been fortunate injury-wise, up to this point in his career. I don't see that continuing.

Sour grapes thinking? Maybe to a point. But Wilson has changed over the years, and not all for the better when it comes to football.

None of this makes Seattle a better team today than it was with Wilson, and with Pete Carroll still coaching them, I don't harbor any illusions that good things are coming. It's a team that has put off this transition for too long.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Wilson isn't the same player he was five years ago, and in areas of his game he should be better, he's not. He still holds the ball too long, makes baffling decisions at inopportune times, and can't (or won't) run like he used to. He's a good QB, but he was never going to lead Seattle to anything close to a Super Bowl.

And now that he's going to be 34, his age is going to start catching up to him more. He's been fortunate injury-wise, up to this point in his career. I don't see that continuing.

Sour grapes thinking? Maybe to a point. But Wilson has changed over the years, and not all for the better when it comes to football.

None of this makes Seattle a better team today than it was with Wilson, and with Pete Carroll still coaching them, I don't harbor any illusions that good things are coming. It's a team that has put off this transition for too long.

I don't like Pete Carroll's woke nonsense, but I love him as a coach. Don't count him out to lead Seahawks to playoffs in 2023
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
    Founders Club

Seahawks were 3-5 in the playoffs since the super bowl loss. They beat the Lions, The Vikings because their kicker missed a 20 yard field goal, and the Eagles who were already bad and had a back up quarterback in. They haven't done jack shit since the defense slowly faded away and Marshawn left. They lost to the Rams the other year in the first round after winning the division. The Rams had John fucking Wolford in that day because shitty Goff was hurt, then Wolford got hurt and Goff came in with a busted finger and socked the Hawks 30-13 until a garbage time TD made it 30-20.

The window has been shut for awhile. The team has not been good enough for Russ to carry them to another SB win and they would never be. This off season would have been signing 2-3 medicore to worthless journeyman, hyping them up like they will make all the difference, only to complain about the same shit people have been complaining about for years because nothing has changed.

Russ has a better chance at winning a SB in Denver than he did staying in Seattle.

I forgot about those wins and how essentially weak the opponents were or how lucky the Seahawks were.

Now that he’s been traded, I kinda wish they kept him because 12s gonna 12 and hope springs eternal but the Seahawks would be limited going forward which I would greatly enjoy.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I came to look at Russ / Hawks as a high-wire act. No other, or few other QB's could do what Russ did, which was essentially back-yard football...shitty line, questionable scheme, run-happy HC. He was so athletic, and had athletic receivers, he was able to pull the rabbit out of the hat for a long tim, with a great defense to keep him in games until he could "cook".

IMO, this played into the "We need a great line for Russ" narrative. The more I watched him (them), I came to believe that the shit-tier line allowed him to do his back yard stuff, with great effectiveness, and Pete / Schneid got that. Put him in the pocket behind a good line, he would have been fringy-out of the league in 3 years, which is why he "fell" to them in the 3rd round.

Defenses would stack the box for 3 quarters, and then Russ would go Fran Tarkenton on their ass and pull it out at the end, which worked with an "elite" defense, last several years, not so much...

It was highly entertaining to watch when it was good, and painful when it wasn't. They adjusted with the 'Rainbow" ($75k) deep passing game, but it ran out of gas after a while...

When every time you win, 4-5 circus catches are in the highlights, it isn't sustainable...
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

I came to look at Russ / Hawks as a high-wire act. No other, or few other QB's could do what Russ did, which was essentially back-yard football...shitty line, questionable scheme, run-happy HC. He was so athletic, and had athletic receivers, he was able to pull the rabbit out of the hat for a long tim, with a great defense to keep him in games until he could "cook".

IMO, this played into the "We need a great line for Russ" narrative. The more I watched him (them), I came to believe that the shit-tier line allowed him to do his back yard stuff, with great effectiveness, and Pete / Schneid got that. Put him in the pocket behind a good line, he would have been fringy-out of the league in 3 years, which is why he "fell" to them in the 3rd round.

Defenses would stack the box for 3 quarters, and then Russ would go Fran Tarkenton on their ass and pull it out at the end, which worked with an "elite" defense, last several years, not so much...

It was highly entertaining to watch when it was good, and painful when it wasn't. They adjusted with the 'Rainbow" ($75k) deep passing game, but it ran out of gas after a while...

When every time you win, 4-5 circus catches are in the highlights, it isn't sustainable...

perfect description
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TheHB said:

I don't like Pete Carroll's woke nonsense, but I love him as a coach. Don't count him out to lead Seahawks to playoffs in 2023
    It will have to be as a wildcard because SF, AZ, and LA are all miles better than Seattle. Seattle is doomed to going 1-5 in their own division the next couple years. Not sure how they can overcome that over the rest of their schedule unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat with a new QB.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Arizona is going to Arizona

Kkkkliff can't win after October
  • RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 782
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Bronco Busters!!!!!!
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TheHB said:

It will have to be as a wildcard because SF, AZ, and LA are all miles better than Seattle. Seattle is doomed to going 1-5 in their own division the next couple years. Not sure how they can overcome that over the rest of their schedule unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat with a new QB.
    Things change quickly in the NFL. It’s never as bad as it seems. Most teams are around .500 and it depends on winning or losing close games.

That said, without good QB play, it’s hard to win.
    Drew Lock or rolling the dice on a rookie are their current options at QB. That is the definition of bad.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    RW had a hard-on for Pete after the FIRST Super bowl win. My good buddy, the late Trevor Moawad told me Russ felt like Pete was competing with him for the limelight. This and more hot takes, the kind you'd expect after a long tenure when the record turns and both sides need some new perspective away from one another.
    I'm not a fan. The entire defense hated Wilson.

Russ Cost Trev his marriage. Selfish. He won't defer $ because he has to have the highest yearly salary. He won't sign a Stafford type extension.

Good fucking riddance.
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

RW had a hard-on for Pete after the FIRST Super bowl win. My good buddy, the late Trevor Moawad told me Russ felt like Pete was competing with him for the limelight. This and more hot takes, the kind you'd expect after a long tenure when the record turns and both sides need some new perspective away from one another.

Russ Cost Trev his marriage. Selfish. He won't defer $ because he has to have the highest yearly salary. He won't sign a Stafford type extension.

Good fucking riddance.

I hear ya, but Rusty along with the great defense did win a Super Bowl.

It will be interesting to see if Metcalf is no longer frustrated and flourishes with whoever the new QB is.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2022

Baseman said:

Good fucking riddance.

It will be interesting to see if Metcalf is no longer frustrated and flourishes with whoever the new QB is.
    Hopefully they trade Metcalf too. I welcome a return to the old formula. Run the ball, play great defense. When almost every team wants to air it out, differentiate and do something else.

Gotta draft the right players, but it’s time for a reset and signing Metcalf to a 25+ mil per season deal is useless and probably harmful.

Metcalf will get at least a first and a second, if not more. A very good player, dominant at times, but his hands are shitty and he’s not a perfect go to guy like some other WR’s are.
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

Good fucking riddance.

Hopefully they trade Metcalf too. I welcome a return to the old formula. Run the ball, play great defense. When almost every team wants to air it out, differentiate and do something else.

Gotta draft the right players, but it’s time for a reset and signing Metcalf to a 25+ mil per season deal is useless and probably harmful.

Metcalf will get at least a first and a second, if not more. A very good player, dominant at times, but his hands are shitty and he’s not a perfect go to guy like some other WR’s are.
    Interesting thought. I'll need to ponder that
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

Good fucking riddance.

I stand behind this idea but only if creates more of these moments.

Founders Club