Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some Surprises on the Depth Chart

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,602
DiAndre Campbell and Marvin Hall starting (instead of KW and John Ross). I'd have to guess that KW is still working through coming back from his leg injury and JR will see plenty of snaps even though he isn't starting. I hope KW is ok our 1st home game and just needs another week to ease back into things.

Darrell Daniels is the 3rd TE (Perkins and Hartvigson as OR).

OLB is Berria OR Feeney.

Mathis is ahead of Dissly (behind Andrew Hudson) and Gaines is ahead of Qualls behind Shelton (very surprising).

Beaver and Baker are the starting safeties.

Sidney Jones is an OR with Travell Dixon so it sounds like he may the field before Dixon and he and Hale will get some PT this year. IIRC, the other CB we brought in (Brandon Lewis) is getting over a knee injury so he'll most likely redshirt.

Even though we'll be playing 13 regular season games instead of 12, I am 69.69696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969696969 certain that we'll give up less sacks than last year under Sloppy Steve and Surly Dan Cozzetto.

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    A little surprised about Budda getting the nod at safety. I'm curious who will be the 5th DB in the nickel. Jarrett Finau is really the back up to Kikaha? And where the hell is Littleton? At WR, they will all rotate some. It might be a case of who are the best blockers and rewarding those guys with a start. Kasen, Mickens, and Ross will most likely be the leaders in receptions, but maybe another WR will surprise, kind of like Kevin Smith did last year. Qualls got a ton of love on dawgman because of his athleticism for a big guy, but Gaines and Vea were similar players. All three played RB in high school.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901

Only one that really throws me off is Hall over Kasen...but I assume Petersen realizes the season doesn't start until late September and wants to make sure his leg has as much time to heal as possible.

KW is only about 80% according to my sources. He's good on straight lines but he is still learning how to cut again. Hall is a jackrabbit on the field. He'll be fine.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,602
    Yeah Littleton seems to have been lost in the shuffle with the new staff? Maybe he's a tweener in the new scheme but he did miss most of the spring with an injury (shoulder?).

Finau was getting some love in the spring and IIRC, he was mentioned once or twice in the fall. He is a RS-JR now so maybe it's coming together for him (the previous staff seemed to be less than enthralled with him and Tani T. since Holt was their DC first).

What surprised me about Qualls was that he was was a high 4 star recruit and then redshirted while at this time last year, Gaines was in fall practice for his senior year of high school ball. Vea hasn't even played high school football since 2012 so I imagine he'll redshirt.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,602
    Not surprising since Hugh Millen was getting on KW's case for not going 100% one day at practice but I doubt Millen ever had to come back from such a bad injury.

I just hope KW is full go for the Georgia State game in 3 weeks so that all the rust is off for the 'Furd game.
    DeepSeaZ said:

Only one that really throws me off is Hall over Kasen...but I assume Petersen realizes the season doesn't start until late September and wants to make sure his leg has as much time to heal as possible.

KW is only about 80% according to my sources. He's good on straight lines but he is still learning how to cut again. Hall is a jackrabbit on the field. He'll be fine.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    How in the hell is Ross not starting?
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Gladstone said:

Petersen can't relate to edgy players like Ross and Mickens.

Edgy players like Marvin Hall and coach Pete are cool doe.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I think they are easing Ross in, he has been banged up for Fall camp. Just my guess.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Where will Peterman find those four wins now?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Littleton isn't good and has never been good.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    edited August 2014

2013 stats:

#6 in tackles

#2 in TFL

#2 in sacks

I would put 0 into this seating chart. You could tell Coach Pete put it out only to be compliant and both Ross and Littleton will see a lot of PT.

I still think Daniels would be a beast at OLB.

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club
    A bit surprised about Qualls. I like these shake ups though. Can only motivate the more "name"players to step their shit up. Petamus gets my full vote of confidence when it comes to player eval.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

He's not a star, but he's decent. 62 tackles, 10 TFL, and 5 sacks. That's tough to do if you are not any good. He never redshirted and is going into his junior year. He's another example of a guy who should have redshirted. He's certainly better than Finau. He actually was in on a lot of plays but missed the tackle. Something must be up with him because Bob Gregory said he was having as good of camp as any LB maybe two weeks ago.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter
    Baker starting more an endorsement of him, or indictment of rest of safeties?
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    edited August 2014

Abundance
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Baker is good.

So is Beaver.

Depth is an issue in the secondary, not talent at the starting spots.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Petersen is loathe to have a true depth chart, similar to Saban. It doesn't mean as much as we think it does. Perhaps at some positions it can be taken literally while at others not so much.
  • SilkyJohnstonSilkyJohnston Member Posts: 67
    Gladstone said:

He actually is starting as kick returner
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I still believe those young players in the secondary for the last class have exceeded expectations for the staff. I remember in spring, and then before fall camp coaches were saying Ross, and even Mickens may have to play both ways. Basically, after the first week you have not heard one coach even mention that now. Hale, Budda, Jones, Gardenhire, McIntosh, and Lewis is a really solid young group to grow with going forward. I think the coaches are pretty happy about how they have come in, and how the secondary looks going forward (Beaver, Kelly, King all still young too)
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club

Petersen is loathe to have a true depth chart, similar to Saban. It doesn't mean as much as we think it does. Perhaps at some positions it can be taken literally while at others not so much.

So you're saying either way it will be interesting.