Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A Helping Hand to Dump Big Tech Censorship and Privacy Invasion

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Swaye said:

I've noticed little snippets all over the bored of people recommending ways to get away from "Big Tech," whether it is politically motivated based on their deplatforming and censoring of information, or simply based on privacy concerns. Red man is here to help. Here are some alternatives to shithead companies I personally hate. These opinions are my own but perhaps some will find it helpful.

Internet Browser:

Chrome owns the space. Chrome is Google. Google is terrible on both privacy and fairness.

Try Firefox instead. Much more secure, and not trying to be Obama's best friend. Or, if you want to be even more daring, try Brave. I have been doing a little research based on a recommendation, and think I will be trying it out myself soon. Looks to be SUPER secure and even provides a way to transfer crypto.

Search Engine:

Google owns the space. Fuck off Google. The sell everything about you for Ad dollars then use the money to attack things you probably believe in.

Try DuckDuckGo. Simply awesome, and not run by a cabal of leftist pricks.

Video Content:

YouTube owns the space. Youtube are basically modern day brownshirts. Fuck them in the ass.

Try Rumble instead. These are the guys who offered to save Rogan if Spotify went soft.

Messenger Apps:

WhatsApp owns the space. At one point WA was great, then FaceBook bought it. Now it's privacy is dubious at best.

Try Signal instead. Created by the original founder of WA as an attempt to right the wrong of getting into bed with FagBook. Everyone is migrating to Signal now. WA is for fags.

Social Network:

FagBook owns the space, and they are horrible by any metric. They would sell their own mother if they could, and their "fact checkers" are the functional equivalent of having the SS tell you facts about Jews.

Try MeWe instead, the next-gen social network with no ads, no targeting, and no newsfeed manipulation. Full disclosure I have NOT tried them, because I am a hard target and think these social networks are for retards, but I have heard good things about this one.

Micro-blogging:

Twatter owns the space. In a stunning development, Twatter became the only thing in the universe worse than FagBook. Nobody wants to use Twatter except Antifa.

Try GETTR or Gab instead. Really enough said here. Either of these options are LIGHTYEARS better than Twatter. Twatter is truly an enemy of the people.

Crowdfunding:

GoFundMe owns the space. They help raise money for BLM, but tried to steal the money for the Freedom Truckers until various Attorney Generals threatened to sue them into oblivion. I'll let you draw your own inferences with those facts.

Try GiveSendGo instead. They believe in freedom of association. End.

E-mail:

Space owned by a who's who of turds - Outlook, Yahoo and Gmail (Google). They all hate freedom and hate you unless you like giving Biden daily reach arounds.

Try ProtonMail instead. ProtonMail is also the world’s largest secure email service, developed by CERN and MIT scientists, and protected by Swiss privacy law. I personally use ProtonMail and it is legit as fook. Wouldn't use anything else.

Wrap:up:

Feel free to add to this list in the thread. If any really good stuff emerges I will try to add it over time. I'll keep this pinned for quite awhile if people seem interested. Stalin does not like crowded pins so it may not stick around forever, but I think this is a super helpful resource for people who value intellectual freedom and curiosity, and privacy. I should also add these solutions above are imperfect, but in my opinion are worlds better than their alternatives.

Didn't Google buy DDG?
    Google owned duck.com and eventually sold it to them. That is the extent of their business dealing to my knowledge. There were rumors a couple years ago Apple was going to buy DDG but no idea what happened with that.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

RoadTrip said:

Swaye said:

I've noticed little snippets all over the bored of people recommending ways to get away from "Big Tech," whether it is politically motivated based on their deplatforming and censoring of information, or simply based on privacy concerns. Red man is here to help. Here are some alternatives to shithead companies I personally hate. These opinions are my own but perhaps some will find it helpful.

Internet Browser:

Chrome owns the space. Chrome is Google. Google is terrible on both privacy and fairness.

Try Firefox instead. Much more secure, and not trying to be Obama's best friend. Or, if you want to be even more daring, try Brave. I have been doing a little research based on a recommendation, and think I will be trying it out myself soon. Looks to be SUPER secure and even provides a way to transfer crypto.

Search Engine:

Google owns the space. Fuck off Google. The sell everything about you for Ad dollars then use the money to attack things you probably believe in.

Video Content:

YouTube owns the space. Youtube are basically modern day brownshirts. Fuck them in the ass.

Try Rumble instead. These are the guys who offered to save Rogan if Spotify went soft.

Messenger Apps:

WhatsApp owns the space. At one point WA was great, then FaceBook bought it. Now it's privacy is dubious at best.

Try Signal instead. Created by the original founder of WA as an attempt to right the wrong of getting into bed with FagBook. Everyone is migrating to Signal now. WA is for fags.

Social Network:

FagBook owns the space, and they are horrible by any metric. They would sell their own mother if they could, and their "fact checkers" are the functional equivalent of having the SS tell you facts about Jews.

Try MeWe instead, the next-gen social network with no ads, no targeting, and no newsfeed manipulation. Full disclosure I have NOT tried them, because I am a hard target and think these social networks are for retards, but I have heard good things about this one.

Micro-blogging:

Twatter owns the space. In a stunning development, Twatter became the only thing in the universe worse than FagBook. Nobody wants to use Twatter except Antifa.

Try GETTR or Gab instead. Really enough said here. Either of these options are LIGHTYEARS better than Twatter. Twatter is truly an enemy of the people.

Crowdfunding:

GoFundMe owns the space. They help raise money for BLM, but tried to steal the money for the Freedom Truckers until various Attorney Generals threatened to sue them into oblivion. I'll let you draw your own inferences with those facts.

E-mail:

Space owned by a who's who of turds - Outlook, Yahoo and Gmail (Google). They all hate freedom and hate you unless you like giving Biden daily reach arounds.

Try ProtonMail instead. ProtonMail is also the world’s largest secure email service, developed by CERN and MIT scientists, and protected by Swiss privacy law. I personally use ProtonMail and it is legit as fook. Wouldn't use anything else.

Feel free to add to this list in the thread. If any really good stuff emerges I will try to add it over time. I'll keep this pinned for quite awhile if people seem interested. Stalin does not like crowded pins so it may not stick around forever, but I think this is a super helpful resource for people who value intellectual freedom and curiosity, and privacy. I should also add these solutions above are imperfect, but in my opinion are worlds better than their alternatives.

Didn't Google buy DDG?
    Google owned duck.com and eventually sold it to them. That is the extent of their business dealing to my knowledge. There were rumors a couple years ago Apple was going to buy DDG but no idea what happened with that.
    Just got rid of my Google widget and added DDG. It feels good to say Fuck Gurgle
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tor is the most secure browser but that's because it's essentially a VPN. Can't use it for lots of websites because of the extreme privacy settings though. Good to use for those "I don't want this in my history" moments.

DDG has a browser now. It's good.

Proton mail gets used by people like politicians and their staffs so you know it's legit safe.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    How is Safari in regards to security and tracking?
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Wasnt Zelle just a combo of several big banks creating something to battle venmo?
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Duckduckgo is blocked at work. I was floored at first. Then I thought about it, and it made total sense given the tims we're in.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I use Zelle to transfer wealth to my wife

Mine just takes all the money to begin with and then Zelles me whatever scraps seem deems worthy.

I use Zelle to transfer wealth to my wife

Mine just takes all the money to begin with and then Zelles me whatever scraps seem deems worthy.

Wtf was Mrs throbber 1.0 like lol
    Swaye said:

RoadTrip said:

Swaye said:

Internet Browser:

Search Engine:

Video Content:

Messenger Apps:

Social Network:

Micro-blogging:

Crowdfunding:

E-mail:

Didn't Google buy DDG?
    Just admit you love and are owned by Google

No one will think any less of you

Than they already do
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    NYT just did a hit piece on DDG. Apparently conspiracy theorists and conservative influencers are ditching Google for DDG.
    Founders Club
    46XiJCAB said:

NYT just did a hit piece on DDG. Apparently conspiracy theorists and conservative influencers are ditching Google for DDG.

Now they will do everything in their power to crush it.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,722
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2022
    When my lazy ass switched to DDG it alarmed them
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    Isn’t it interesting that whenever a new kid on the block arrives, big tech overlords and our corrupt media launch combined attacks. It’s almost like they want total control of information dissemination.

BidenBros?
    Founders Club
    46XiJCAB said:

Isn’t it interesting that whenever a new kid on the block arrives, big tech overlords and our corrupt media launch combined attacks. It’s almost like they want total control of information dissemination.

BidenBros?

Like clockwork. There can be no technology but the Alphabet Borg.
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,304
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

thechatch said:

I don’t use FB or messenger

Safari for browser.

Twitter to correct people’s spelling and grammar.

Guilty of using Google for my SE, Outlook for company email and Gmail for personal use.

I’ll take GiveSendGo a try.

BTW I hate VenMo with a passion. Maybe cash app works. IDK

I personally use Zelle, but only because a guy I trust in the industry says the privacy aspects are better with Zelle. I cannot confirm that at all, but Venmo just sucks, so Zelle it is.
    I love cash app, use it for my business all the time.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club
    thechatch said:

I don’t use FB or messenger

Safari for browser.

Twitter to correct people’s spelling and grammar.

Guilty of using Google for my SE, Outlook for company email and Gmail for personal use.

I’ll take GiveSendGo a try.

BTW I hate VenMo with a passion. Maybe cash app works. IDK

I love Cash App
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club

Yeah I'm lazy which is what they like. I am more tech savvy than most my age but I also figure despite anything you do they can get in. That's my rationalization anyway

https://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/companies/fbi-apple-iphone-case-cracked/index.html

Law enforcement officials were able to break into the phone used by Syed Farook with the help of an unnamed third party. Government officials did not go into detail about what was found on the phone.

"The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order," DOJ spokeswoman Melanie Newman said in a statement.

The DOJ is dropping the case against Apple, since it no longer needs the company's help.

We've gone from big tech refusing to help the FBI over a terror attack to big tech helping to freeze bank accounts of peaceful protestors and helping the BI identify people to arrest

Also note the FBI didn't need the help anyway

Or... Apple helped them but said, "We'll do it, but you can't tell them we did.